• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Too many skis to chose from

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I'm an area rep for a Northeast ski/snowboard company. I wound up being the #1 rep in my region this past winter, and as a thank you they have awarded me a free pair of skis/bindings to use for the upcoming season. The deal is I can chose whatever I want from their site, and they will ship them to me. I simply return them at the end of the season. So basically, a free seasonal demo of brand new skis. I sorta figured they'd give me a price range, or a few to chose from, but no....whatever I want. Holy cow. I currently use Blizzard Vivas (160s). I enjoy them. They seem perfect for me and where I ski. I'm an intermediate + skier, 5'7, 170. I ski the northeast (VT, NY, CT, MA, PA), so I need skis that handle well in ice and crud, only for groomed (typically icy) trails. I started looking at all the brands and choices, and quickly got overwhelmed by my options. I am leaning towards the Rossignol Temptations (I'm feeling a bit unsure of 80, 84, 88), but don't want to overlook something else that would offer more than my current Blizzards. My goals for this upcoming season are to link my turns more smoothly, be more comfortable with more challenging terrain and steepness, and allow myself to use more speed (I tend to hold back a bit). So I need a sturdy ski I can trust to help me advance and feel more confident. So any thoughts on other brands I should consider, or are the Temptations really THAT great of an all-around ski and I should just go with them and not make myself crazy? Thanks guys.

I'm not familiar with Rossi Experience or Temptation but maybe @Jilly can shed some light.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@Audski - Caught my eye that the links posted were from Alpine East. My husband is the buyer for them, and knows their inventory better than pretty much any one in the store. He also knows what will be coming in for 2017 that's not up on their site yet. I'll PM you his email if you want to reach out or have any questions about what's there and what's coming in.

They are currently working on getting their new inventory up, so if you see something from the brands they carry that you want, but they don't have it on the site, definitely ask if they're going to carry it.

One last thing, not sure where in the NE you are, but they are affiliated with Philbrick's Ski Board and Bike in Dover, NH, if you want to check out physical inventory instead of searching online.

Happy shopping!

Jilly

Staff member
Experience is the unisex version of the Temptation.

Since you have the Viva's, why not look at something a little wider. As the waist width goes up so does the stiffness of the Temptations. For your level, weight and height you could ride the unisex version too. If someone were giving me free skis for the year, I would be looking for some in the 85 range.

Rossi Temptation
Atomic Vantage
Salomon QST 85

Are some that I'm familiar with. K2, Nordica and Blizzard have some in that range too.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I agree with Jilly on this one...if you're happy with your Viva's for groomers and icy days, I'd check out something with a little more width and a different style ski than what you already have. The 84 or 88 Temptation will fit that bill. In addition to Jilly's recommendations and looking at other companies, maybe the Blizzard Black Pearl, the Volkl Kenja, Nordica Wild Belle, Armada Victa 87Ti.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
Jilly, I was also thinking of going a bit wider. My only concern was having too much ski to manage. I think the Temptation line is really great for someone at my level and I might do well to give the 80 or 84 a shot. Since I have my Vivas, I also don't have to use them if they're not great. And it's not a financial risk. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Elemmac, I definitely will reach out to your husband and ask his opinion. I'll ask if he has any suggestions on what would be good for me to consider. I'm in CT, not NH, so I have to stick with on-line searching. I am going this weekend to my local skihaus to get fitted for custom foot beds, and I will look at some of the skis I'm interested while there to see them in person. I don't want to get too overwhelmed by too much inventory, so I'm afraid if I look to much I will just stress out about such a nice opportunity for a free ski. I saw you PM (thanks so much), and will follow up with him for sure. I've been repping for Alpineeast for the past 2 years and thought it was awesome that they are rewarding me with skis for the season. They have been very generous. I think they are a wonderful company.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with Jilly on this one...if you're happy with your Viva's for groomers and icy days, I'd check out something with a little more width and a different style ski than what you already have. The 84 or 88 Temptation will fit that bill. In addition to Jilly's recommendations and looking at other companies, maybe the Blizzard Black Pearl, the Volkl Kenja, Nordica Wild Belle, Armada Victa 87Ti.

You make good points. I was looking to try a different brand than Blizzard since I have them already. I looked at the Volkl Kenja on-line. I have seen it recommended many times. Would I stick with a 160 or go a bit shorter if I'm getting a beefier ski? I did message your husband btw. I'll let you know what he suggests.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I've been repping for Alpineeast for the past 2 years and thought it was awesome that they are rewarding me with skis for the season. They have been very generous. I think they are a wonderful company.

When I heard about their rep program, I thought it was a great idea. It's so awesome to hear that you've had a good time working with them!

I think Audski might be a little to big for the Black Pearl. We need @volklgirl in this discussion too.
Yea, I suppose if you're going in blind to a purchase, it might not be the safest bet.

I looked at the Volkl Kenja on-line. I have seen it recommended many times. Would I stick with a 160 or go a bit shorter if I'm getting a beefier ski?

I would definitely put the Kenja on your short list, and I'd probably recommend the 163 (if not longer).

Jilly, I was also thinking of going a bit wider. My only concern was having too much ski to manage. I think the Temptation line is really great for someone at my level and I might do well to give the 80 or 84 a shot. Since I have my Vivas, I also don't have to use them if they're not great. And it's not a financial risk. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Elemmac, I definitely will reach out to your husband and ask his opinion. I'll ask if he has any suggestions on what would be good for me to consider. I'm in CT, not NH, so I have to stick with on-line searching. I am going this weekend to my local skihaus to get fitted for custom foot beds, and I will look at some of the skis I'm interested while there to see them in person. I don't want to get too overwhelmed by too much inventory, so I'm afraid if I look to much I will just stress out about such a nice opportunity for a free ski. I saw you PM (thanks so much), and will follow up with him for sure. I've been repping for Alpineeast for the past 2 years and thought it was awesome that they are rewarding me with skis for the season. They have been very generous. I think they are a wonderful company.

I think if you are happy with the Vivas as a carver getting something wider would be fun. I am about your stats and didn't care for the black pearls so I agree with Jilly. What about the Rossi temptation 88 or even the Volkl Kenja. I didn't like the black pearl but love the Kenja because it can still handle the hard pack but is wider with tip and tail rocker so it's great in softer snow too, very versatile ski also. I have the Kenja in a 163. Lots of choices in the 85-95 underfoot area plus with your stats you can ski unisex also so its like double the inventory :smile:
I ski in western Mass and Vermont so hit me up if you ever want a ski buddy.

My friend Ashli works at the New Milford location of Ski Haus. Rick their boot guy seems to know his stuff. I had originally gone there last year to inquire about boots/foot beds, etc and was told Ski Haus in Brookfield doesn't do the footbeds in house so you'd have to go to their Brewster, NY store. That was a year ago so maybe that's changed now, you'll have to ask.

How cool to be a rep for Alpineeast. :smile:

Last edited:

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I think if you are happy with the Vivas as a carver getting something wider would be fun. I am about your stats and didn't care for the black pearls so I agree with Jilly. What about the Rossi temptation 88 or even the Volkl Kenja. I didn't like the black pearl but love the Kenja because it can still handle the hard pack but is wider with tip and tail rocker so it's great in softer snow too, very versatile ski also. I have the Kenja in a 163. Lots of choices in the 85-95 underfoot area. I ski in western Mass and Vermont so hit me up if you ever want a ski buddy.

Ski Hause in Brookfield doesn't do the footbeds in house so you'd have to go to their Brewster, NY store. My friend Ashli works at the New Milford location. Rick their boot guy seems to know his stuff. I have difficult feet so he referred me north to Vermont for my boot needs so that's where I go.

How cool to be a rep for Alpineeast. :smile:

You guys are making a nice argument for me to strongly consider the Kenja! I'm going to the Skihaus in New Milford to pick up a gift certificate that someone gave me for my birthday yesterday. So New Milford doesn't do the footbeds and I have to go into Brewster? Eh, no biggie. I live in Danbury so it's easy enough.

Yes, Alpineeast has a nice rep program. I give out my code, folks get 20% off, and they send me fun stuff to thank me. Sometime they send me fun stuff just cause they're cool guys.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I vote for atomic vantage.. the series they have out i found all ski well have more beef than black pearls but still nimble and playful. The line 90s and 100 also are sweet after skis.

You guys are making a nice argument for me to strongly consider the Kenja! I'm going to the Skihaus in New Milford to pick up a gift certificate that someone gave me for my birthday yesterday. So New Milford doesn't do the footbeds and I have to go into Brewster? Eh, no biggie. I live in Danbury so it's easy enough.

Yes, Alpineeast has a nice rep program. I give out my code, folks get 20% off, and they send me fun stuff to thank me. Sometime they send me fun stuff just cause they're cool guys.

Ask when you go to New Milford about the footbeds. I know when I was there a year ago they didn't but maybe they do now, it's worth an inquiry. However, given you're in Danbury a drive to Brewster should be easy enough :smile:

Ski CT

Certified Ski Diva
Have you considered the Head Super Joy? I too am in the northeast, and I love mine. Even took them to Colorado and they were fine, lots of fun, and fast.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote for adding a wider ski, a another thumbs-up for the Kenja. However, I wouldn't totally discount the Black Pearl or Yumi as long as they're not your only ski. They are both softer and more forgiving than the Kenja in soft snow conditions, but your weight may overpower them on really hard snow. Go longer than you'd suspect on both of them. The Wild Belle (or its replacement would be another option). If you think you might go even wider, take a serious look at the Samba.

Audski

Certified Ski Diva
I go the foot beds, and had several nice email exchanges with elemmac's husband (super nice and helpful guy). I did look at/touch the Rossi Temptations. I think they would be good over all. Had a long chat with one of the owners at the ski shop and he thought the Kenjas might be a bit too fast for me ("these skis wanna go fast!"), too much ski, and that the temptations might be better suited to my skill level. That was helpful. However, I'm not petit, so I wonder if the kenjas might handle my size better than the temptations. Or if I should just consider the 84s instead of the 80s (which I was leaning towards). So, I remain overthinking the whole thing. Considering they are free for the season, and I already have a pair of Viva that I enjoy, I really can't lose here. I'm leaning towards the Rossis for the east coast ice and crud and hope that I wind up enjoying them. If anyone has any other thoughts about this, I'm still open to hearing opinions. Thanks for the ones already given!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna