• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tire Chains? Do you have them for YOUR car/truck?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chains are an essential part of our winter driving here in NZ if you're heading into the mountains.
And as I drive a 2WD Rav 4 I am a Queen at putting them on :laughter:
I use a diamond pattern classic hoop chain and they are pretty much bomb proof and can proudly say I've never "thrown " one although sometimes if its really bad I'll happily jump into someone else's vehicle if it has more grunt than mine.
Some people (not many) use the sock version but our access roads chew them up and spit them off pretty quickly!!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband just yelled at me and said 1st gear is the worst gear to use on the snow. OK.

I had to check his opinion. He is wrong. Bridgestone recommends keeping the vehicle in a low gear (1-3).

I've always been told 1st gear isn't good for driving on snow/ice as too much torque which can lead to wheels spinning and loss of traction. My not so trusty Rav 4 has a button called 'Manual" that I can engage that allows it to start in 2nd gear rather than 1st.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I've always been told 1st gear isn't good for driving on snow/ice as too much torque which can lead to wheels spinning and loss of traction. My not so trusty Rav 4 has a button called 'Manual" that I can engage that allows it to start in 2nd gear rather than 1st.
Yes, that was his argument. But he said to start it in an even higher gear.

My previous SUV had the "manual" button, too. And you are correct, what I'm reading on other tire sites is if you can put it in 2nd, choose that.

Well, anyway, with the new car it's not an option; I only have R, N, D, and P.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Here in Quebec we have no choice about whether or not to use snow tires. It's the law as of December 1 until (I think) mid March. We get a lot of snow here but I don't think I've ever seen anyone with chains (well, there are no big mountains either!). I have a feeling studded tires are allowed between certain dates (though I could be wrong about that). I just know that garages are inundated as the snow tire deadline approaches. My garage called me in August to make an appointment for November. I know one friend who didn't drive at all from December 1 until the 5th when she had her tire appointment - maybe just as well as Montreal got a huge dump right then.

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
What kind of tires are on the vehicle? If you have really good mud and snows with good tread, I wouldn't think you'd need chains on an AWD. I can see having them for a piece of mind, but it reminds me of what someone told me when I lived in the Sierra.

In the Sierra, they have chain check on I-80 and other roads around Lake Tahoe. Basically, R-1 was at least mud and snows on all vehicles, 2wd or 4wd. R-2 was chains required for 2wd, but mud and snows on AWD was sufficient. R-3 was chains for all vehicles. A local who lived there a long time told me, if it's R-3 requiring chains on your AWD, you shouldn't be driving at all, unless it was an emergency.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a footnote, due to the somewhat challenging nature of our access roads our ski areas make the following calls on their snow reports A) Chains not required but should be carried. B) Chains on 2WD's and C) Chains on all vehicles which yes does incl 4WD's.

Then there is always the argument as to which wheels to put the chains on ... front or back. I always put them on them on the front (steering wheels) but some quite heated debates are not uncommon.

There is a TV programme called Mt Hutt Rescue that has hilarious footage of the road crews trying to get people up and down the road. I'm not sure if its available to watch everywhere though.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure what you mean by "new". The particular brand of Autosock I was considering have been around since 1998. The use that I saw in person in PA was at a DCSki/EpicSki gathering in 2016. They were put on to get past a particular short section of icy road. Then removed.
Wow I stand corrected. I guess you know your snow traction! but you've never used snow socks? I've been driving regularly in the mountains for the past 20 years and only saw them recently. Mostly on Teslas. Maybe only good for short term use like you pointed out. I guess you have them on the semi trucks in the East also? They probably weren't legal in CA unit recently.

It's comments like this that make me not want to spend any time on Ski Diva. I come to share my real life experience and I'm corrected by someone who hasn't eve used the product I'm being schooled about.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Snow tires" to my understanding is a bit of an outdated term, largely replaced by "winter" tires. It's not just snow that's an issue in the winter, it's the cold temps hardening non-winter tires and reducing traction that makes them less safe. In your circumstances, I would absolutely have winter-specific tires installed. They will increase your safety far more than using non-winter tires and carrying chains. If you want to have chains for emergencies, you can easily get a pair of low-profile chains that fit your vehicle, but I wouldn't consider them a replacement for good winter tires.

I live in Vermont and use winter tires on my 2WD vehicle and I carry chains. In five years' living here, I've used the chains exactly once, to get up my steep hill when we had more than three feet of snow in one freak storm. Here's the trip report: the chains were a pain in the *** to put on and if I hadn't had them I could have easily left the car at the bottom of the hill and retrieved it the next day after the road was more thoroughly plowed. And when the storm was over, the chains were a pain in the *** to take off.

Don't overestimate what AWD will do for you in winter. As the saying goes, "AWD helps you go, it doesn't help you slow." AWD just means that all of your wheels will spin out on ice or wet winter pavement instead of just two, if you have non-winter tires.

Have fun and stay safe!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't overestimate what AWD will do for you in winter. As the saying goes, "AWD helps you go, it doesn't help you slow." AWD just means that all of your wheels will spin out
And the same can be said for 4WD ! I've seen many 4WD's come unstuck because the driver thinks they'll "be ok". Sometimes rubber just dosen't stick to snow and ice :eek:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband just yelled at me and said 1st gear is the worst gear to use on the snow. OK.

I had to check his opinion. He is wrong. Bridgestone recommends keeping the vehicle in a low gear (1-3).

I'm not sure why Bridgestone is advocating driving in 1st and 2nd, other than there are some automatics that don't let you shift into 3rd. There's something about the toque in lower gears that make them not great for driving in snow.

ETA: posted this before seeing AJM's post

beane

Certified Ski Diva
We have AWD and use snow tires (not "all season") -- Blizzaks or Michelin X-ice in winter. We have chains but have never used. If the roads are bad enough that the AWD and snow tires aren't gonna cut it... I'll stay put. Most car dealers will tell you when you buy a car with AWD to not ever use chains :noidea:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow I stand corrected. I guess you know your snow traction! but you've never used snow socks? I've been driving regularly in the mountains for the past 20 years and only saw them recently. Mostly on Teslas. Maybe only good for short term use like you pointed out. I guess you have them on the semi trucks in the East also? They probably weren't legal in CA unit recently.

It's comments like this that make me not want to spend any time on Ski Diva. I come to share my real life experience and I'm corrected by someone who hasn't eve used the product I'm being schooled about.
Sorry you were offended. I was trying to understand your comment.

Since I live in the southeast and only recently started driving to the mountains during snowy conditions, you obviously have more first-hand experience.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the two sides of the convo on autosocks might highlight the issue with them. Like @marzNC I looked into them a few years ago. They are not new in the sense that they have been on the market for a while now. But as @WaterGirl pointed out, they are new in the sense that they are not widely used in snowier locales as she has only recently started seeing them. If they worked as well as chains or AWD and snow tires, they would probably be more prevalent by now, and the autosock site would not have a disclaimer to check if they are a legally permitted substitute when chains are mandated in your state. But if you are looking for something light and small to keep in your trunk to help in a pinch (or for the mystery rental car when traveling), they are an option to consider. In other words they are more of a niche product for particular situations-- the icy driveway and not the long snowy mountain pass.

Amie H

Angel Diva
My new car has Michelin Primacy All Season tires. As a recap, after just plopping down a load of dough on a new car plus some upgrades (and now having a car payment) I don't have 2nd set of tire cash sitting around, nor anywhere at all to store them. I've already driven in light snow here in the new vehicle and it was no big whoop. :smile:

I want something easy/effective for "just in case" if I drive "Up North" (WI) on a snow packed country road this winter. Mostly a peace of mind situation. There are no chain requirements anywhere I will be driving. I fly to most true mountain destinations.

I don't know anyone in the Chicago area who puts specific winter/snow tires on a vehicle anymore, but I do know folks in Wisconsin who do. I-Dot does a great job of plowing & salting, at least here in the metro area.

Do we occasionally get ice or snow that the plows can't keep up with? In the 35+ years I've lived here, I think only a handful of times. And the people who were really affected were closer to the lake than I am.

I'm thinking of 2011's "snowmageddon." During that storm over **700** people were trapped on Lake Shore Drive!!!! But in that instance, I doubt chains would have helped. Inefficient snow removal has cost quite a few Chicago politicians their careers over the years.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having chains or an otherwise snow-ready vehicle is not going to help in a snowmageddon situation unless everyone else is equally snow-ready. Traffic doesn't move due to crashes and cars get trapped.

I get the attractiveness of having a peace of mind. Maybe run all-weather tires instead of all-season tires, rather than dealing with chains? How hilly is the drive to/from the cabin - can some of the traction issues be mitigated by driving slow and leaving a lot of space in front of you, or are there hills to navigate, where traction tires has more of an impact?

I've driven in situations where the snow is falling too fast for the plows to keep up, or the plow doesn't get there because it's not a priority. Visibility -- being able to tell where the road is -- was a much bigger issue than traction.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Pequenita super FLAT driving, very very slight inclines in some places.

I cannot change tires this year. It's not a NEED, I've done fine without for years, but it's just an accessory I'd like to have "in case."

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had an issue with my snow tires and awd vehicle. I ran Blizzak WS80's on my crosstrek and will be getting Blizzak WS90s on my Tiguan. I drive in hilly NW CT near the mass border and southern Vermont. I haven't had the need for chains. I'm a very careful driver in weather and have never had an issue. I get a lot of impatient drivers behind me in the winter and I just pull over and let them pass. I often pass them later in ditches up the road.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes. It's mandatory in a lot of mountain states. Even if you have snow tires. you should have a set of chains in the car (they are cheap). There are situations when you need the chains to get the car out. Some mountains have no cell service. Just like the shovel, chains are not an accessory. Also helpful is a tow strap.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Chuyi I'm sure that is true in the mountains. I live in very flat Illinois :smile:

One thing that is not mandatory but VERY NEEDED here in Winter is an extra jug of wiper fluid. Because we salt the roads, your windshields can get caked in a mist of liquified salt. I run the fluid sprayer CONSTANTLY in Winter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna