• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tipping Q

dachlostar

Certified Ski Diva
Hey, Australian here, planning to visit Copper over the Christmas break.

I'm travelling with my extended family (siblings & niblngs) and some of them have never skied before so I have booked them into some group lessons.
Which brings me to my question...how much should they budget for tipping their instructors? And their kids' instructors? Tipping isn't really common here beyond leaving your couns on the bar so you don't have to try to get them into your wallet. I've only had lessons in Europe and Australia/NZ so this outside my experience.

Thanks for your advice

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I typically figure about $5 (group lesson) to $10 (private) per hour. So a basic beginner 2-hr group lesson, I would give $10 per person. You might factor a little more if it is a holiday week or if you really had a breakthrough/they went above and beyond to help you specifically. Also if you requested a particular instructor you might give a bit more.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hey, Australian here, planning to visit Copper over the Christmas break.

I'm travelling with my extended family (siblings & niblngs) and some of them have never skied before so I have booked them into some group lessons.
Sounds like quite an adventure! How long will the entire trip be?

What's been suggested makes sense to me for a destination resort. My tipping experience for kids started about 15 years ago at a small hill far from the Rockies. Back then $5 was what I tipped for full-day ski school. My friend who has younger kids was tipping $20 for full-day ski school at Alta 2017-19.

There are some instructors who are willing to get a tip via Venmo instead of cash.

dachlostar

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for your help

marzNC, we're in the US for just over a fortnight but only my older brother and his family are skiing the whole time.
The rest of us are driving out so that we can spend a night at the Grand Canyon and see Monument Valley and so on.
The two non-skiing siblings didn't want to spend two weeks in a ski resort and I have lots more opportunities to ski but I might not have another opportunity to see the Grand Canyon
We're all pretty excited
This is our first big holiday since getting back from Japan just before the borders closed in 2020.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you for your help

marzNC, we're in the US for just over a fortnight but only my older brother and his family are skiing the whole time.
The rest of us are driving out so that we can spend a night at the Grand Canyon and see Monument Valley and so on.
The two non-skiing siblings didn't want to spend two weeks in a ski resort and I have lots more opportunities to ski but I might not have another opportunity to see the Grand Canyon
We're all pretty excited
This is our first big holiday since getting back from Japan just before the borders closed in 2020.
The Grand Canyon is well worth giving up a few days of skiing after flying across an ocean. The advantage of going during ski season is that it won't be crowded with N. Americans and Europeans on summer vacations.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga