• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Time spent skiing vs time on the lifts

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have skied more than 50,000 yes Fifty thousand Vertical in 1 day at Okemo. Midweek - I skied from 9-330..could have skied until 4pm And no I didn't stop for bathroom or lunch.. was the only blue bird powder day a few years ago.. rained again the next day.. I routinely get over 35K w/lunch & breaks but I don't stop much on the trails.. making me miss skiing.. high speed lifts....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wouldn't suggest using the "Basics" info on the Trace website to learn about a ski resort. According to that, Alta has only 902 vertical because the base is at 9468'. The base elevation for Alta is always noted as 8530'. I know Alta Lodge is at 8600'. Wonder why the Alta stats include 2% snowboarder? (For those who don't know, Alta does not allow snowboarders on the lifts.)

Screen shot of Trace Alta webpage on 4/28/16. Alta closed for the season on 4/24.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 9.52.03 AM.png

Collins lift twice? With a 14ft Drop? Collins is the lift that goes from the Wildcat base up to about 10,000 feet. The Albion lift is a beginner lift that runs maybe 10 days a season during really busy holiday periods. Is the Transfer Tow between the two bases included in an overall analysis? Easy to be mislead by such a table.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 10.06.00 AM.png

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
That ... wasn't my point. My point was that's a sh*tton of vert.

When there's no lines - you can get a ton of vertical in. At Lake Louise, we regularly get over 15000 meters a day, and that's with the kids, with lunch.

Mount Snow has a high speed 6 seat bubble chair that gets you to the top in something like 6 minutes. The lift lines will kill ya though. As soon as other chairs open up you won't find me near the high speed chair because I can get more mileage in the other chairs as there are minimal lines.

Christy

Angel Diva
It sounds like there is plenty problematic about the stat, but I'll also add that if they are counting the mountain's entire vertical, that is generally problematic. Whistler probably ranks high because even though there are lines, there is that 5000' vertical. But no one skis that all at once! Maybe at the end of the day, to go home. People head to upper lifts and just ski those lifts, and those don't have half as much vertical. And while that may be more the case at Whistler, it's common everywhere. I see Beaver Creek ranks high but I don't remember ever skiing to the bottom then starting all over. The only place I regularly do this is Sun Valley. The Warm Springs lift takes you 3100' up in 10 minutes, then you ski all the way back down. It's a fabulous run and you could lap that all day, if you had legs of steel, which I don't.

Unless they do have a formula of lift wait time + actual lift elevation that they skied, rather than taking the whole mt vertical into account.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow to them about all the problems with the resort info. Here is the response:

"Sorry to hear about all the inconsistencies. That article is actually from 3 years ago and was recycled without our permission. Even if the database stats are wrong on lifts, we still record them correctly because we're recording a user's activity. The elevations are just taken from Google Maps.

We do have a tool to help add lifts which you can check out here:

https://support.TraceUp.com/customer/portal/articles/613016

"

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow to them about all the problems with the resort info. Here is the response:

"Sorry to hear about all the inconsistencies. That article is actually from 3 years ago and was recycled without our permission. Even if the database stats are wrong on lifts, we still record them correctly because we're recording a user's activity. The elevations are just taken from Google Maps.
"
Interesting. That explains why all the references in the article were to Alpine Replay instead of Trace. When Alpine Replay started, it was simply a free app for tracking stats on snow. The company was incorporated in 2011. Not sure when the Trace tracking device came on the market but that's when the name of the company changed. From what I can tell, Trace may be more popular with folks who snowboard. Although that shouldn't make much difference in terms of comparing stats between ski resorts.

Dec 2014 review of the Trace tracking device by a snowboarder who had used the Alpine Replay app:
https://www.scottallen.com/2014/12/tracking-skiing-snowboarding-stats-trace-action-sports-tracker/

Not sure what they mean by elevations coming from Google Maps. For Massanutten, the base elevation is the same as the peak elevation. :rolleyes:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turns out the Trace aka Alpine Replay was created by a very smart father-son duo. When they wanted to create a hardware device to work with their Alpine Replay app, the first major source of funding was a successful $150,000 Kickstarter campaign in August 2013. The father was a pioneer in consumer GPS at Magellan Navigation in the 1990s. The son is a surfer and snowboarder. Being able to match video with info from the Trace tracker when doing tricks and jumps is a unique feature. Since the Kickstarter campaign, more substantial backers have invested over $2 million in Trace.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...vanced-activity-monitor-for-actio/description - Kickstarter August 2013

https://www.socaltech.com/tracking_...race_sensor_with_david_lokshin/s-0050678.html - August 2013

https://www.malakye.com/feature/822...avid-and-anatole-lokshim-and-brad-blankinship - Interview with father and son

The LA Times had an article about the Trace tracker after the successful Kickstarter.
https://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/06/business/la-fi-sensor-maker-20130906 - 09/06/2013

Beginning of article:

While rising to chief technology officer for Magellan Navigation in the 1990s, Anatole Lokshin pioneered the use of the global positioning system in everyday life, bringing the satellite-based technology to boats, cars and eventually cellphones.

Now, running a startup with his son, the Huntington Beach inventor wants to latch sophisticated motion sensors onto surfboards, skateboards, snowboards and regular clothing.

Data collected by Lokshin's sensors could separate pros from posers in sports that typically emphasize imprecise metrics such as style points.

In the long run, the precise data collected by a device, about the size of a Reese's peanut butter cup, could improve athletic training, speed injury recovery and motivate people to live healthier lives.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna