• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Time for some powder skis . . .

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wondered about that!

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Um . . . Okay . . . I thought you just apologized for doing it!

No worries. Unless my snow doesn't arrive, of course. Then I'll have to cancel your massage! :laugh:

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:Yahoo!: :dance:

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you updated tapatalk lately? Perhaps that's why we have different options.
SN I hope you enjoy your new skis, I tried them here back in August, it's a toss up for me between them and the Dynastar Cham range. And i haven't been able to try the TST yet. They are all similar shapes with the 5 point sidecut measurements. Great for turn-ability.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are wonderful, farmgirl! They turn like a dream and I am enjoying them. I liked the TST as well (well, not "as well", obviously! I liked it also.) but it worked for me in the 165 and the Rossi in a 170. The 170 was more stable. I hate to admit the graphic had anything to do with my choice, but I think it may have. I didn't try the Dynastar.

As for updating, there doesn't seem to be one available. I download updates as soon as they are announced.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
\ Also, I'm on a 168 in the Black Pearl 2012. How much longer dare I go on a rockered powder ski? Remember, I'm old, too heavy, and not all that strong! About 5'7 now that Father Time and Mother Nature have conspired to rob me of an inch and a half.
Lol, you sound just like me. We could be twins! :beer:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Do you not know how to do an iPad screen shot? Hold down the power and home buttons at the same time. I will take one if u can't figure it out.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can do that (in fact I'm always deleting accidental ones! :doh:) but the notice we get is transient, and I didn't think it would show up on a screen shot . . . besides the fact that you did such a fine job of describing exactly what we have - and don't have - the opportunity to do!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
OK, Divas, after 9 pages of discussion, I have to ask a very basic question. Please don't scoff or giggle, because it is an ongoing question between me and DH. Frankly I am looking for support of my premise, but if there's another side I'd like to hear it.

I am skiing the Nordica Nemesis, 162, 96 underfoot (pre-rocker). Today I skied in about 2' of powder, somewhat lumped up as I did not get out especially early. I skied the powder OK, but not as well as I would have liked. I was not exactly able to make consistent fall line turns.

Would a more rockered powder ski give me an advantage? I want to demo, and purchase, a rockered ski which has camber underfoot to ski the hard pack I will encounter. I ski fairly few totally powder days. Today was an exception!

DH feels that the Nemesis is the perfect powder ski, and a different ski will not make a difference. Opinions, please.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
96 is pretty narrow underfoot for a powder ski! My Aura which is an all conditions ski is 98. You should be able to ski powder "ok" on 96, but powder ski it is not. For comparison, my kikus are 107. You might benefit from a slightly wider waist, which will help in powder and crud, without having to get into a dedicated powder ski.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't even bother with camber underfoot, either. Subtle rocker on a 100+ ski makes both a floaty powder ski and a groomer ski that doesn't suck. Tip rocker will make the skis plane up over the powder rather than plowing through under the surface, more width will keep them up and planing, and tail rocker will make it easier to smear turns for speed control.

I DEFINITELY notice a difference skiing powder on my Auras (older, non-rocker, 94), my Kikus (also older, non-rocker, 107), and my Shiros (full rocker, 119). The Shiros are sooooooo much easier to ski in powder, chowder, and crud, and they don't suck AT ALL on groomers. The most fun I've ever had in powder, though, was the day I took my Kuros out (full rocker, 132). So. Much. Fun.

Keep in mind, too, that I'm talking midwest groomers, so serious hardpack bordering on ice.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, Divas, after 9 pages of discussion, I have to ask a very basic question. Please don't scoff or giggle, because it is an ongoing question between me and DH. Frankly I am looking for support of my premise, but if there's another side I'd like to hear it.

I am skiing the Nordica Nemesis, 162, 96 underfoot (pre-rocker). Today I skied in about 2' of powder, somewhat lumped up as I did not get out especially early. I skied the powder OK, but not as well as I would have liked. I was not exactly able to make consistent fall line turns.

Would a more rockered powder ski give me an advantage? I want to demo, and purchase, a rockered ski which has camber underfoot to ski the hard pack I will encounter. I ski fairly few totally powder days. Today was an exception!

DH feels that the Nemesis is the perfect powder ski, and a different ski will not make a difference. Opinions, please.

You can ski powder on any ski, of course. But the narrowest ski I own is 100 underfoot. I do not agree that 96 underfoot is a perfect powder ski. Maybe if you are bantam weight. I also have Kikus and don't consider them a powder ski at 107 - but I am definitely on the heavyweight side.

However. I also haven't found that wide skis magically fix my powder technique. I tend to freeze up and make sudden movements in powder. You can get away with a slight z-turn or pushing your tails on a groomer; not in powder. If you have a part of your brain that is afraid of speed because you can't see what's under the snow - then you'll probably make abrupt moves that will hurt your powder mojo.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
96 is pretty narrow underfoot for a powder ski! My Aura which is an all conditions ski is 98. You should be able to ski powder "ok" on 96, but powder ski it is not. For comparison, my kikus are 107. You might benefit from a slightly wider waist, which will help in powder and crud, without having to get into a dedicated powder ski.

I thought Auras was 94 and the rockered one 96? But I agree it's not exactly the ski for 2' of powder, maybe for top skills and big open faces. Its strongest side is crud.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Of course, there are people who can ski powder on any skis, including piste skis and they can do it with great style too, but why make your life harder?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna