• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thinking of becoming a ski patroller next year

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am thinking of joining the volunteer ski patrol next year. They do the training for me, have to give them 16 days to get a free ski pass for the year after ($900 value). Plus great experience and good peeps.

Anyone out there been a patroller? Any experiences to share? Worthwhile?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I can share as bieng the wife of one. I know Marigee just got certified here with National, and my hubby has been a NSP volunteer for 20 years now.
I don't know of the parallels between Canadian and US system. I've been closely involved as a non-patroller at different levels over the years, and for the last 7 years I basically ski with him all day on his weekday duty day until he has to do patient care.
The training year is usually hell. OEC is a huge commitment (2 1/2 months, 2 nights a week in the spring), and then there's on the hill training. Our patrol is every weekend from October through New Years for on the hill training... talk about no free time... Our mountain gives family passes to ski patrol, (spouse and kids) and then there are pro purchase bennies, patroller exchange benefits (tickets at other mountains) We can go almost anywhere and he goes over to the aid room and can almost always get a day ticket. Other than my season pass I don't personally get to avail myself of his benefits, but that's OK.

In sum, from what I see, it's really worth it in terms of the benefits, the community service, the cameraderie, the excuse to be up on the mountain. It's like a giant second family for us and an excuse to go skiing. You will certainly become a better skier.
The negatives would be the time training in the first year, having to be out in really sucky conditions, and the usual BS you get in organizations involving egos, power trips, and personalities and so on. There may be costs involved for dues, training, uniform and so on.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
65526_10200724358811939_2029826141_n[1].jpg Hi Cleopatra I'm an APD (assistant patrol director) for our patrol at Mt. Holly. We run with about 135 active patrollers. On our patrol your first two years are your most difficult. Your first hurdle is the OEC as GG stated. At our hill he ski and toboggan training for Alpine is a season and a half, if you choose to pursue the Senior or Certified we offer training, and trainers for that also. After you've passed your OEC you still have a ski and toboggan training shift per week , a duty shift per week seperate (from training shift )and a weekend shift (either 9:00am till 4:00pm, or 4:00pm till 11:00 pm) sat or Sun. Once you've passed your on snow ski and toboggan test you are only required to do 1 duty shift per week, and every other weekend shift per month. Every fall you are required to refresh your OEC, CPR, AED, and chair Evac skills. Every winter we require a toboggan and ski refresher in order to be allowed to transport patients. We also require a work shift at one or more of our many fund raiser's and community service ,through out the year. I have found that the majority of Patrollers are prone to be service oriented and enjoy performing these extra duties. I've been a member of the NSP and the PSIA since high school, I think you will find that it is a very rewarding path that you've choosen. I have found that by being active in both org's I have been provided with a great way to give back to a sport that I have been obsessed about, and been involved with for most of my life. There are a number of expenses involved with being a member but I have found that they vary greatly depending on indiviual patrols. One of our most quoted saying's is "First on last off" this is true and unfortunately as GG stated that can be in some pretty crappy conditions,...... but it can also mean some in some pretty stellar conditions too!:wink:

PS
word to the wise YOU CANNOT STUDY, OR TRAIN FOR YOU OEC, OR ON HILL TEST TOO MUCH OR TOO OFTEN!!!!!!!!!

Marigee

Angel Diva
geargrrl and perma-grin are right on the mark! It is a huge time commitment, but for me was well worth it. Good luck should you decide to go forward!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My sister's been a CSPS patroller for 10 or 11 years now. It was actually my idea back when I was still too young, but she ran with it. She patrols at Marmot every 2nd weekend, though when living in Calgary for a few years she patrolled at Kicking Horse.

The benefits for her have been more and better skiing, better first aid skills, and some extra lift passes. Obviously she doesn't pay the days she's patrolling, and for every day she patrols she gets a lift pass for use another day. I've benefited from a few of those.

The time commitment her first year for the First Aid was, well, a commitment, but it wasn't too ridiculous. I don't know how Fernie organizes it, but in Elkford I think it's a couple nights a week for a while in the fall.

As a bonus, she met her now-husband through CSPS. :cool:

cleopatra

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all for the input. I think it is different from the US to Canada. I have to have a chat with a patroller up here and get a real handle on the commitment etc.

Jilly

Staff member
There is also a big difference between eastern Canada and west. We don't need avalanche clearing here in the east usually, so....some skill sets are different.

If I had the time......instructing and real paying work is enough right now.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I wonder how much of a difference there is really between Can and US patrol. Down here, avalanche control is a matter for each individual area to train for, not a national requirement unless you want to take the Senior Avalanche classes for your Senior Cert. Some areas have two levels of training, avalanche control and not; it can even be the difference between paid and volunteer. Not everyone gets to throw the bombs. :-)

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I wonder how much of a difference there is really between Can and US patrol. Down here, avalanche control is a matter for each individual area to train for, not a national requirement unless you want to take the Senior Avalanche classes for your Senior Cert. Some areas have two levels of training, avalanche control and not; it can even be the difference between paid and volunteer. Not everyone gets to throw the bombs. :-)
Nor should they be allowed to! LOL! Kim Kirsher wrote a book on it , if I remember correctly. And Jilly I instruct for a Ski school coach a developement team , patrol and manage to squeeze in a little work t, of course our season is only 4 months long here ( closing day is tomorrow at my home hill:cry:) and it doesn't hurt that I work for a ski and kayak shop so they are very flexible with my schedule during ski season! :becky: LOL!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Sorry to be off topic.

Hi Perma-grin!! :smile:

Was at Snowbird a few weeks ago and will be back there in a couple of weeks, which reminded me of meeting you there a couple of years ago.
I've been spending alot of time in Bozeman and basically reveling in the west.

Hope all is well. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga