• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

They lost his boots-ski shop complaint

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if this should be posted here or at the miscellaneous discussions section, but thought since it was skiing related this should me OK. Our local ski shop LOST my son's boots!! We took his skis (and boots) in on Sunday for a binding recall. They were supposed to be ready yesterday, so I called in the afternoon and they couldn't locate his skis quickly so they called me back. When they called back, they said they found the skis, but couldn't readily locate the boots. I told them they were a 22.5 (same size as mine), that they were in the box, and they already had the company and model of the boot. Today, they got the binding in (they had told us the boots would be ready yesterday) and I picked up the skis and boots. I looked at the size of the boots and went back in the store and said they were a 23.5. They assured me they were my sons boots. Of course, I was right - my son tried on the boots after I got home and was swimming in them. We went back tonight and "exchanged them" for a 22 - hopefully they will fit him all season. What a horrible experience.

Thanks for "listening".

Sherry

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is always frustrating in any industry! They are the same shell size so if needed, they could easily stretch the liner and they should do it without charging!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, that stinks. :mad:
Wish I could share mine with you - 2 brother-owners who are so off the charts excellent, I am reminded to stop by with some holiday liquid libation as a thanks for awesome service. Stuff like bindings mounted while I wait. :clap: And not even their stuff, either (they're on to my sources...:wink:) Business is business. But holidays? Have to say thanks.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
how annoying...hope all turns out for the good.

I don't know if this word of advice I was given would have applied in your case, but I was told not to leave both boots at the shop when bindings are being fitted, they only need one and they can't rent or accidently mix up one boot with another pair---by mistake.

That's not to say they wouldn't have lost just the one boot, or let the dog eat it, or rent to a one-legged pirate.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is this the same shop that charged you for adjusting your bindings? If so, I think I'd be looking for a new shop, if possible...

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We got the 22, not the 22.5 because they didn't have a 22.5 to give us and this was a better option than the larger boot they had tried to give us. Today it seemed to work well for him, so hopefully they will last all season.

MaineSkiLady, I wish I could head out to your shop too!

Sorry, I can't remember who posted what, but dropping off just one boot is a great idea - will definitely do that in the future.

This is the same ski shop that charged me for my binding adjustment. I did talk to the manager (that is who I was dealing with for this whole ordeal) about the charge and he told me they only adjust the ski to your boot for free once, when you buy the ski. I did mention to him I had posted about it here and that charge didn't seem to be "standard" at other ski shops. He didn't care, as they own the only 2 ski shops in Rochester. I will begin shopping more online and buy stuff anywhere but this shop when possible.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you need to add anywhere but this shop.
Even if it is not convenient.
This shop is just plain B A D

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm willing to never go there again. My husband was not so interested in driving to Buffalo for ski equipment, though. I will say there are a couple of really good salespeople at this store who know their stuff and are really good bootfitters. If only I could just take one of them to Buffalo! :-)

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow. I'm sorry, that's just piss-poor customer service. They lost your son's boots and they STILL weren't willing to waive the binding adjustment fee? That's crap. It sounds like they know they're the only game in town and don't care if they piss people off, too. Is there anyone above the manager you could complain to, like perhaps the owner?

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Itri, I'm trying to find out who the owner is, but no luck yet. Hopefully my husband or I will have some luck when we see some work colleagues who ski (or know people because they used to ski).

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not sure if I did not see this, but, were they rental boots or your son's own boots? At any rate I would be so PISSED that they would regret it deeply.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The boots were purchased. It is the first time we didn't lease boots for him, since we were looking for a better performing boot than most of the rentals we have seen before. I am ticked and have been spreading the word locally to shop anywhere else when possible (at least for clothing).

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's completely unacceptable. They should be bending over backwards to make this up to you. No excuse for losing a customer's own purchased boots. Their manner in handling the issue speaks highly (or I should say, poorly) for the shop. We've learned--convenience isn't worth it. Find a shop that's more reputable. It sucks (we've been through 3 bad shops now) but you should be treated better than this.

abc

Banned
Agree.

Going forward, buy online when you can (e.g. skis), and get your boots somewhere else. With "service" like that, I highly dbout their boot fitter is any better.

I usually give my business to the shop that have helpful and knowledgable staff. But for shops like this, I hate to suggest this... you can "get even" by trying stuff in the shop and then order them online for less!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I missing something?
First of all, I'm not surprised that the shop charged for a binding check. Most shops around here do.

Then...
The shop lost your sons boots, which can happen, but they made up for it by giving you new boots.
Depending on the boot mfgr, most boots are in whole sizes with the half size being made up in liner volume so a 22 and a 22.5 are essentially the same with a different liner.
You should be okay. Who knows, maybe the other boots will show up and you'll be back in your original boots.

Either way, this is a situation that can easily be classified under Stuff Happens.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry, SH, but I disagree. If it was just the boots, maybe, but the boots plus charging for the bindings adjustment plus apparently not being willing to do anything for her for the inconvenience just screams "bad service" to me. I'm guessing that you haven't seen her other thread yet, but it's not that the shop was charging to check the bindings. They charged her even though she had just purchased new boots from them because she didn't have it done on the spot when she purchased the boots (didn't have the skis with her). And then, from the sounds of things, to be pretty unapologetic about losing her son's boots (which is not acceptable, in my opinion)...

Yes, stuff happens, but this seems to be a pattern for this shop.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I am missing something. Thanks for clarification.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is the lack of customer service that upset me. I could live with paying for my binding adjustment if that was all it was (I had posted about that because I wasn't sure if most shops would charge for that when you purchased all of your equipment from them or not). The fact that they lost boots we purchased and gave us the wrong size (even when I went back in the store before I even got in my car to tell them the boots were wrong) and had to go back to the store (with my son because I knew they wouldn't believe me if his feet weren't there) to get things rectified and they didn't even apologize. That is why I'm upset. I realize things happen and people are not perfect, but people should take ownership if they screw up and apologize for their mistakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna