• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

There IS life after knee replacement!

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hit the hill the other day with a bit of trepidation, as it was the first time skiing after my knee replacement.

Finally, after years of pain and deterioration of my skiing skills, Ski Diva pointed out the only thing I had to gain by delaying a knee replacement any longer was more pain and that I needed to live up to my motto of "Don't let your equipment hold you back!" So earlier this summer I bit the bullet and had it done.

Bearing in mind I was supposed to still take it easy, I only skied six runs that day, six the next, and six again today, each time making myself stop and get off the mountsin. But, oops, I "forgot" I was supposed to be skiing greens and skied blue and black groomers and even got off piste a fair amount. And, unbelievably, all that without any hint of pain. I had a silly grim plastered over my face the whole time, hooted and hollered, found my eyes getting a little misty a few times, and once again found my joy in skiing.:yahoo::D:clap:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:fireworks:

Super terrific news!

I don't want to say I told you so, but..... I told you so! :becky:

Anna

Angel Diva
FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!!!!

Do you wear a knee brace of any sort?

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you have no idea how happy I am for you and how happy I am to hear that you're back at it!

can you tell me when you had it done and how long your recovery was?

Congrats again!

Marigee

Angel Diva
Wonderful! Glad you are back on the slopes. :yahoo:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:clap:
So happy for you!

I have a skiing friend who did BOTH knees last Feb (:eek:), a couple of weeks apart (:eek::eek:), she is feeling fantastic and long ago got clearance to ski -- hope to see her next weekend, and for the first time since I've known her, without super-heavy-duty braces!

She said it was about the same length of recovery time as ACL reconstruction, if a bit more confining immediately post-op. So +- 6 months.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's fantastic! It is so amazing to realize that finally you have NO pain! I can identify somewhat, having had hip surgery a couple of years ago. It gave me back my quality of life, and it sounds like your surgery has done the same for you.:yahoo:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Finally, after years of pain and deterioration of my skiing skills, Ski Diva pointed out the only thing I had to gain by delaying a knee replacement any longer was more pain and that I needed to live up to my motto of "Don't let your equipment hold you back!"
I hear this a lot from people who've had these sorts of things done - hope I remember it when I break down.

Glad you'll be on the slopes again this year!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations and thanks for giving us Divas with bad knees a glimmer of hope. Enjoy your new knees.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is awesome news!!! :D One of my ski buddies has had both her knees done and is having a hip done on 1/3. She'll be out all this season but we hope she'll be back in even better form next year. :smile:

merrydog

Angel Diva
QQ,

This is great news! It can be difficult to come back after major surgery but your story is inspiring. I have a weak left knee from an old injury and I may need to do something about it someday so it's great to hear your experience.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations on your new "gear"! I hope this turns out to be your best ski year ever!

abc

Banned
Wow! Congratulation!

Does that mean I don't have to take it easy in anything I do then? If we can get new body parts so easily anyway... ;)

Seriously though. That's fantastic news.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had one knee replaced in 2009 and the second one replaced in April 2010!! i also ski anywhere I want to ski--both last year and this year.

I am amazed at how much better my balance is this year. My boss was amazed when he saw me ski---I really do have better form. What a relief---six days later, I am still wearing that grin.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was my fifth day, still going strong! Yesterday the mountain had near zero visibility with pretty firm bump-ettes that bit you unexpectedly so I quit after three runs, figuring it was unnecessary banging on my new equipment. Today visibility was minimally better, but with a few inches of fresh so the bumps were less of an issue.

I haven't worn a brace at all, even before surgery as it just squished the bones closer together so made the pain worse. Today I was a little sore from yesterday so wore a neoprene sleeve on the knee to help keep any swelling down, but figure by tomorrow I should be free of any discomfort again.

DH says my position over my skis is better, more centered, and I'm skiing with more confidence than he's ever seen. Pretty cool!

Thanks, everybody for cheering me on!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga