• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Life-Changing Power of the Roto Brush

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think many Divas are familiar with my ski-tuning obsession, which is 80% an obsession with drinking beer while not grading student history essays.

Anyway, I raided e-bay recently for a cheap set of roto-brushes and a handle. I went with the intriguing and dirt-cheap goat-hair brush I saw recommended somewhere:

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Leather-Roto-Brush/dp/B01F9YVJ9C

(True fact: if you type "Goat r" into Amazon, it auto-completes to "Goat Rental" and I would like to see Amazon's delivery options on that.)

And then I added to that a basic horse-hair brush and a relatively inexpensive covered handle.

First, I'm delighted to have a more regular use for my DeWalt drill. Since I'm a renter, I'm not allowed to do much of anything fun with it around the house. Though I think the cats have pretty much taken care of my security deposit.

And second: holy cow! It makes the most labor-intensive part of ski waxing incredibly easy. AND the results are incredible. The first time I skied after using it I couldn't believe the glide. Apparently my old cat lady upper-body strength hadn't really been up to the task.

What a game changer!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When the weeds are gone, do they send wolves to eliminate the goats? I mean, before you know it you'll have a yard full of lions.
I grew up on Long Island, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. :becky:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had the roto nylon brush, horsehair brush and flouro cork for years now. Hubby just added the brass brush to my collection for Christmas. My life is now complete!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cleaning out the structure before waxing and first brush after waxing, since I mix my Hertel Race with CH4. The brass brush requires a very gentle touch.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cleaning out the structure before waxing and first brush after waxing, since I mix my Hertel Race with CH4. The brass brush requires a very gentle touch.

Ah, makes sense. I have a regular (non-roto) brass brush I use for opening the structure. What its it about the Hertels/CH4 combo that requires the brass after waxing?

I haven't yet delved into mixology except for last spring, when I started combining Purl yellow with their graphite.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mmmm... graphite...

(And Moly. Moly rules.)

Ah, makes sense. I have a regular (non-roto) brass brush I use for opening the structure. What its it about the Hertels/CH4 combo that requires the brass after waxing?
CH4 is pretty hard and won't budge with horsehair or nylon. I use CH6 regularly as base layer; softer than CH4, but still requires brass brush for the first pass. I actually started using brass brush for F4 as well. Saves arms.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What its it about the Hertels/CH4 combo that requires the brass after waxing?

I haven't yet delved into mixology except for last spring, when I started combining Purl yellow with their graphite.

The CH4 is a super cold wax and is almost impossible to scrape when fully cooled - it tends to just chunk off in big glumps or flakes. To get around this, I do a warm scrape immediately after mixing the waxes, then a light cool scrape, then the brass brush. Even when it looks like your scrape is good, the brass roto will whip up gobs of wax dust.

Here's the secret to my Awesomesauce wax job (shhhhhhh don't tell anyone else, 'kay??): Ch4 from the back of the binding toe piece forward for about 8-10", CH4 from the front of the binding heel piece back about 6-8", Hertel FC739 Race or Super HotSauce tip, binding middle, and tail, then iron it all together really well, then 2 gentle scrape passes while still warm. Allow to cool, then scrape, brass brush, nylon brush, soft nylon or horsehair brush, and wipe with a soft cloth.

I use this combo for everything up to around 50+ degrees. At that point I substitute Spring Solution for the CH4. The combo is faster and hardier on our man-made snow and lasts a good 2+ days longer than just the Hertel waxes on their own.

mustski

Angel Diva
Many of us feel that way around @volklgirl ! One quick question - is it really messy using the roto-brush? I don't have a garage. In my world the kitchen table is for waxing skis! However, I don't want wax everywhere.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many of us feel that way around @volklgirl ! One quick question - is it really messy using the roto-brush? I don't have a garage. In my world the kitchen table is for waxing skis! However, I don't want wax everywhere.

I wouldn't do it except in a workshop or basement or outdoors. . It's like a fine dust that shoots out, along with bristles sometimes. I would think it would be both messy and hard to see. I make sure i wear eye protection when I use the roto brushes.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@volklgirl that is next-level wizardry. I feel like a young Luke Skywalker learning at the feet of a Jedi master.
:rotf::faint:

Rotobrushing is very much like drywall sanding - you'll get a very fine dust on EVERYTHING. Especially with flouro waxes, I'd really not recommend this in the kitchen.

You may be able to get away with it using nylon and horsehair brushes in another room, but you'd definitely want to have a shop vac handy.

mustski

Angel Diva
Sigh! I guess we'll stay manual then. I don't have a basement or a garage or a workshop at our mountain cabin!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna