• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The last black run - The Black 32 - Switzerland

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is my trip report of the Black 32 slope ... the last black slope I did not had skied before on the Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelwald resort. Yes! Not even as teenager I did ski there .... don't ask me why!?

Today saturday 20.02.2010 I drove again to Grindelwald. Weather forecast was a mix of snow/clouds/sunshine and better to the west of Switzerland so I thought give Grindelwald another try! Its more in the west than other resorts!!! And in case of bad weather I know most of the slopes very well.

Please have a look at my last trip report for pictures of the rest of the resort ---> Grindelwald Maennlichen-Kleine Scheidegg.

04:15!!!! Wake-up call from my mobile phone. My gosh its very early but I need some time to wake-up completely .... breakfast, coffee and a shower later I'm on the way to the mountains ... its 05:30!

I arrived without too much traffic before the gondola/lifts where open! It still snowed in Grindelwald. 6-8" of fresh snow on the slopes!!! 6-8" of fresh snow on frozen/icy snow is not what I call ideal to ski. I did some off-piste skiing too. The flat light made everthing much more difficult. Who cares .... I had fun skiing!!!!

I skied the Maennlichen aera in the morning. Flat light, clouds, fog, snowfall did not made things negative. I managed quite a lot of runs till 11:00 ... I felt very cold and went for a cup of coffee and a nice warm meal.

Then I thought the hell with the bad weather .... I'd like to ski the BLACK 32!

So I had to take some other lifts to get there. First the Gummi chair, and its black slope just for warm up.
Then the new Eigernordwand 6p chair ... and hey!!!! The sun is shining!

DSCN0766.jpg

^^ The Eigernordwand chairlift arrives in the middle of the pic just below the glacier. The black32 starts just where the house is.

DSCN0771.jpg

^^ First part of the black32 ... the view and the slope is fantastic.

DSCN0772.jpg

^^ In a few seconds I will ski down there ...

DSCN0774.jpg

^^ and farther down it goes ... I hiked here last summer!!

DSCN0773.jpg

^^ I like this place .... snow was wunderful today.

DSCN0775.jpg

^^ Some 100yrs ago this valley was filled with a glacier. In summer you'll see that better. The black32 is not too difficult to ski. But you have too take care not to crash because you are admiring the panorama!

DSCN0776.jpg

^^ This rock face is huge!!!!

DSCN0761.jpg

^^ You can see the rock face in the middle of the pics. I'm on the Fallboden chair. The end of the black32 just where the chair is to the right.

DSCN0767.jpg

^^ Too end this nice ski day in Grindelwald .... view of the Eiger. Thats the Eigernordwand chair.

DSCN0765.jpg

^^ Clouds are drifting in and I decide to ski back to Maennlichen.
Thats a tunnel of the Jungfraujoch narrow gauge rack railway.

I skied mostly on the Fallboden chair in the afternoon. The slope was still skiable and I could do some off-piste skiing in the powder. There was no lift line. Later I skied bacl to the Tschuggen T-Bar lift and its slope in the trees. Managed 3 runs there the last one just before it closed! As there where very little skiers on the slope down into the valley I managed to reach the parking lot in a record time.

Today I am really tired. I had a crash because a teenager skied into me (he did not stop) and I crashed (at least I know my bindings open). The slopes where not like choppy sea but more like the sea in a hurricane. Very tiring to ski in such slope-conditions.
My Lottas hold up very good in these conditions! But the snow was just of the tiring variety!!!
Good news from my ski boots! My feet where much better today. I reduced the thickness of the insole of the right ski boot. I think 3-4mm less. I can at least move my toes a little bit and blood flow is improved. I will go for custom fitted ski boots for the next season.

So thats all I can write down for this trip report.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You really get a sense of how big it is when looking at this picture. Breathtaking and absolutely gorgeous! Thanks again for sharing.

DSCN0767.jpg

^^ Too end this nice ski day in Grindelwald .... view of the Eiger. Thats the Eigernordwand chair.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amazing----I would love to ski there, thanks so much for this trip report. It sounds like you had almost a perfect day----except for the hit and run, which I'm glad did not seriously injure you.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks a lot girls! I had a fantastic day out skiing. But today (sunday) my body feel like I am 150yrs old!
I had another near crash with a snowboarder (the ones with hardboots) but without real contact. Seems he slipped on ice and therefore his turn a little bit wider. Some slopes in Grindelwald are just too narrow! They did not widen the slopes since I skied there in the 60/70ties!!! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga