• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The East Coast Whine Thread

Jilly

Staff member
I know when I get home from work, I'm going to be looking at a wet basement......It's pouring and there is too much snow/ice for it to sink into the ground. So it's running everywhere!!

Well my local hill has announced the spring fling date which is the pond skimming and all of that. Its about the same weekend as last year. They are holding it on 3/19 so they think they'll be open that long so that's good right. I am sorry trying not to be cynical. I'll work this day, attend the spring fling at 4pm and then go home to pack as we leave for Jay Peak the next day.......

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In case any of you are interested, Sunshine Village is doing a 'ski week' promotion to attract US and UK skiers this year:

https://www.sunshinemountainlodge.com/ski-week

It works out to about $720 USD pp for 5 days, including
-5 days of lift tickets
-5 nights of accommodation
-4 days of 2 hour lessons (not sure if it's private or group, probably group).
-evening activities like reception, tobogganing, wine and cheese etc...

That IS quite the deal... And it's more or less the week we were looking at, although we weren't planning on as long a trip what with pulling kids out of school. But it's my 50th in March so worth discussing for sure! Thanks for the heads up...

Are you familiar with this? Www.skibig3.com.

Looks like you can plan a vacation designed for a day at each of three resorts. You'd barely touch each resort but it could be interesting... looks interesting but I'm always skeptical of trying something no ones heard of, LOL...

Do you know if Sunshine or Lake Louise has any adaptive programs? Figuring out what to do with DD is always a big factor in our decision making...

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
That IS quite the deal... And it's more or less the week we were looking at, although we weren't planning on as long a trip what with pulling kids out of school. But it's my 50th in March so worth discussing for sure! Thanks for the heads up...

Are you familiar with this? Www.skibig3.com.

Looks like you can plan a vacation designed for a day at each of three resorts. You'd barely touch each resort but it could be interesting... looks interesting but I'm always skeptical of trying something no ones heard of, LOL...

Do you kn:clap:ow if Sunshine or Lake Louise has any adaptive programs? Figuring out what to do with DD is always a big factor in our decision making...

Hi @Mom of Redheads !

I know skibig3, but I would recommend sticking to Sunshine and Lake Louise. The warmth here has not been kind to Norquay, as it is the lowest of the 3 resorts here. However, Sunshine and Lake Louise are both high up and the conditions have been great this season - March is also our big snow month. I always recommend renting a car at the Calgary airport, and staying in a condo, or lodging with a kitchenette in Banff or Canmore for those wanting to explore Sunshine and Lake Louise. Banff has an advantage in that there are buses that go straight from Banff to Sunshine and LL, so you don't have to drive, park, carry things there. It's pretty much door-to-door. We like it because of our kids, and its great not having to carry their stuff (or listen to them complain) across the parking lot :smile:

I am not sure about Lake Louise, but I have seen many both adaptive lessons and adaptive skiers at Sunshine. I know they are supposed to have a great program, and I know they have at least a few days every year at the hill that have adaptive races etc. I would start with this:

https://www.cadsalberta.ca/sunshine.html
and
https://rockymountainadaptive.com

Here is the info on the lessons - the rates seem very reasonable to me, $125 half day, $180 full day for private lessons:
https://rockymountainadaptive.com/winter/abilty2ski-private-lessons/

It might give you an idea of where to start. I would just call them up for more info.
I'm local and would be more than happy to call them up if you need more info - just shoot me a PM! :clap:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @Mom of Redheads !

I know skibig3, but I would recommend sticking to Sunshine and Lake Louise. The warmth here has not been kind to Norquay, as it is the lowest of the 3 resorts here. However, Sunshine and Lake Louise are both high up and the conditions have been great this season - March is also our big snow month. I always recommend renting a car at the Calgary airport, and staying in a condo, or lodging with a kitchenette in Banff or Canmore for those wanting to explore Sunshine and Lake Louise. Banff has an advantage in that there are buses that go straight from Banff to Sunshine and LL, so you don't have to drive, park, carry things there. It's pretty much door-to-door. We like it because of our kids, and its great not having to carry their stuff (or listen to them complain) across the parking lot :smile:

I am not sure about Lake Louise, but I have seen many both adaptive lessons and adaptive skiers at Sunshine. I know they are supposed to have a great program, and I know they have at least a few days every year at the hill that have adaptive races etc. I would start with this:

https://www.cadsalberta.ca/sunshine.html
and
https://rockymountainadaptive.com

Here is the info on the lessons - the rates seem very reasonable to me, $125 half day, $180 full day for private lessons:
https://rockymountainadaptive.com/winter/abilty2ski-private-lessons/

It might give you an idea of where to start. I would just call them up for more info.
I'm local and would be more than happy to call them up if you need more info - just shoot me a PM! :clap:

@Mom of Redheads one other thing I'd add - depending on when and how many days you will be here, you might think about getting the Sunshine Village Family Spring Season Pass - its $795 CAD, and might be even more economical coupled with accommodation in Banff. I think it's good for 2 adults, 2 kids and unlimited skiing after March 18.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@sorcamc I'm in western PA and the torrential thunderstorms have started. It's not pretty.

It was NAASSTY here last night in MA. Huge squall line, torrential rain, wind noises I usually associate with a twister, and it freaking warmed up 32 degrees in 1 hour, giving us a record high temp of 62 (SIXTY-TWO!!!!) at 1am. In February. I can't bring myself to even look at the live cams at my ski area.

It was NAASSTY here last night in MA. Huge squall line, torrential rain, wind noises I usually associate with a twister, and it freaking warmed up 32 degrees in 1 hour, giving us a record high temp of 62 (SIXTY-TWO!!!!) at 1am. In February. I can't bring myself to even look at the live cams at my ski area.

Michael's 900lb motorcycle got blown over last night, crazy winds................... I am grateful that Butternut doesn't have a cam because I couldn't bear to look at it. They are closed today to save face and will reopen tomorrow. They've scheduled their pond skim for 3/19 which I think is overly optimistic.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm trying to simply not worry about the weather. Have even stopped looking at longer-term forecasts - will just check for the current day and maybe a day or two out.

I'm fortunate in that I can ski pretty much whenever I want so I go when it's good. And wow, did we have three fabulous days at Tremblant this week. They got very little rain with the last two storms (before yesterday's) so were fully open and in great shape. Not so good today I don't think as they did get rain. But I hear there's snow in the forecast so....

Bigger problem around here is the cross-country skiing. We actually have a decent amount of snow; it's just that there are layers of ice - and when ice is the top layer as it will be once things freeze over later today (unless enough snow falls), it ain't so good! So I'm not really whining, just sighing a little sadly.

eclaire

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just bailed on skiing this weekend. On the tail end of the NH holiday week with these conditions just doesn't thrill me. We booked a weekend in North Conway for my birthday on March 12-13. I'm hoping we have some kind of colder weather before then but I wonder how long any mountain will continue to make snow? Oh well, it may end up being a weekend of wine and hot tubbing.... I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. What a season!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
got five inches of fresh snow @ hidden valley and springs....at least it's enough to cover the bare spots. Heading up for the weekend.

Heading up tonight for the weekend. Off from teaching as we have a friend who wants to board with us. She was injured a few years back and not sure she's been back since. Our mountain should be ok. Temps in the high 30s tomorrow so that should be fine. Sunday will likely be a slush fest by early afternoon. We will probably go tubing saturday night and are staying at a place walking distance to town so lots of good restaurant choices. It should be a fun weekend with lots of laughs.

I am planning on hitting mount snow thursday for a sick day so its supposed to be in the high 20s and sunny. This will be my demo day.

Next weekend it is supposed to be in the high 30s and sunny. I am working but should be able to get some fun runs in.

In the grand scheme of things this winter isn't stellar but I am just happy and grateful I get to ski every weekend.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sunday River just said this to start out their afternoon report:

"We heard there's a rumor going around that we're just about done making snow for the year. Here's the skinny: nope. Not even close. We plan on cranking out our signature pow as long as temps allow... after all, we have a Ski Maynia party to plan for on May 1, slopeside. Our stockpiles are just gettin' started."

This is why I love my mountain! Blow baby blow!!!

Though talking about May 1'rst at this point seems crazy as all get out to me! lol

Jilly

Staff member
There seems to snow here, at least as snow banks on the road. But there is lots of ice in the village at Tremblant. Remains to be seen tomorrow. They've had to move the Snow Polo tomorrow off the lake as there is not enough ice out there. Now it's going to take a car to get there instead of a walk. Spectator numbers will be down!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
our season is done...well, it will be by the time I return from Big Sky. Unless mother nature gets feisty and sends a monumental snow storm our way, I can't imagine that the mountain will sustain. Seven springs might be open still in two weeks, but looking at the forecast, it doesn't look pretty.

Jilly

Staff member
I left Tremblant to get back as it's year end at the company. So I missed out on 18cm of new snow. :hurt:

But it's going to be windy today, so lifts might be on wind hold! More snow this week.

Saturday was the ice capades at my mountain which was fine because I was demoing some ice carvers. Sunday was expected to be slush fest so I brought out my Elysians so hard pack in the am and slush in the afternoon. Not nearly as slushy as I thought it was going to be so I likely would have fared better with my Kenjas but the Elysians did great. They are "wide" at 95 underfoot and they actually handle the hard pack quite well.

I have come to the conclusion that the groomer folks at my local hill are heros because we've survived 2 slushy warm days and a couple rains and we're still going................... They do such a great job and making piles of snow and then after a "bad" day they'll push out the piles and groom them out for everyone to ski on.

We normally close the 2nd weekend in April and I just don't see that happening this year but I have every hope of going another 2-3 weeks. Then after that I'll finish out the season in Vermont hopefully into April. I know I'm probably annoying optimistic I'm hoping..............

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I hoped I've liked Jilly's post above. I touched "like" on my iPad and in doing so, got a bit of chocolate on the screen (yes, I was having my daily fix). I touched again to try and remove the bit of chocolate, which caused it to "unlike" so I had to touch "like" again. Never had a chocolate-related technical issue before! But can add that we sure have no lack of snow here now (though there are layers and layers of ice in it) and I'm looking forward to some good conditions his week.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
our season is done...well, it will be by the time I return from Big Sky. Unless mother nature gets feisty and sends a monumental snow storm our way, I can't imagine that the mountain will sustain. Seven springs might be open still in two weeks, but looking at the forecast, it doesn't look pretty.

Same here. Although I pine for a late season snow blast to the northeast, now that the outdoor soccer tourneys are ramping up, I am now resigned to moving on.

Based on how many times I have used my pass so far, I think each of my Wachusett runs cost me about $25. GAH. Good thing the MaxPass is paying out!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga