• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The East Coast Whine Thread

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll second that these are first-week-of-April conditions, not anything I'd expect to see in February. Snow was weird today - hardpacky, but more edgeable than hardpack, but definitely not packed powder. Basic "spring" conditions.

If we don't get a big dump, we're going to be off these hills well before March is over.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week was too cold to ski (unless you really really wanted it BADLY) and yesterday, they could have made a fortune with an ice cream truck parked at the bottom of the slopes. Kudos to the mountain for making snow Thurs and Fri, but the warm weather on Saturday did not help. I think the week is looking grim for my dear Poconos ;( Fingers crossed it's not too bad

Jilly

Staff member
Lizzy, Mr. Lizzy and I headed up to the Ottawa Valley this morning to ski Calabogie Peaks. One of the best runs was closed for racing today. The rest were kind of icy. If we'd been there early in the week they had a dump of snow. But it was warm and rained Friday and Saturday. Nice break for Lizzy and Mr. Lizzy as they've been on the local bump for a few weeks. It's nice to put 10 turns together instead of 3.

Yesterday was so hot at my hill where I taught that I had to wear my lighter helmet, took off the gloves and shhhhh even took off my helmet for a while. I was dying.................................. It was crazy busy toooooo.. So sad to see the brown in places......

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I NEED HELP!

I need to redeem a thus far non-existent ski season. Seriously. We never got around to renting equipment for the season, and with the horrendous weather, I had no motivation. We haven't been skiing once.:eek:

Anyway, we still plan on taking a trip, and from what I can tell most of the East Coast has suffered from the lack of snow we've had down here in NJ. I looked online at Sugarloaf, Whiteface and Stowe - where we've never skied and which are all within striking distance - but most of those say their base is like 20", which doesn't seem like much, and it also looks like not even close to 100% of their trails are open.

Anyone ski recently at any of these places? If you can confirm how open these mountains are or whether you think it's all good, I'd appreciate the help.

If it might not be a good year to hit any of those mountains, we will either head to Tremblant (Hello, Jilly) - which would please the boys no end, or we might consider heading out west. DH was drooling over a friend's pictures of Bridger Bowl in MT - and I also just noticed Diva West is at Big Sky, although that's not the week we were considering for our first choice...

I could definitely use some direction since I'm so out of touch with what's going on this ski season in terms of snowfall at various resorts.

Anyone who has an opinion (and I know the Divas aren't shy), speak up! But please... no shaming for my lack of ski days thus far... if Ski Diva worked like frequent travel mileage I would definitely be losing my status this year!:bolt:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I NEED HELP!

I need to redeem a thus far non-existent ski season. Seriously. We never got around to renting equipment for the season, and with the horrendous weather, I had no motivation. We haven't been skiing once.:eek:

Anyway, we still plan on taking a trip, and from what I can tell most of the East Coast has suffered from the lack of snow we've had down here in NJ. I looked online at Sugarloaf, Whiteface and Stowe - where we've never skied and which are all within striking distance - but most of those say their base is like 20", which doesn't seem like much, and it also looks like not even close to 100% of their trails are open.

Anyone ski recently at any of these places? If you can confirm how open these mountains are or whether you think it's all good, I'd appreciate the help.

If it might not be a good year to hit any of those mountains, we will either head to Tremblant (Hello, Jilly) - which would please the boys no end, or we might consider heading out west. DH was drooling over a friend's pictures of Bridger Bowl in MT - and I also just noticed Diva West is at Big Sky, although that's not the week we were considering for our first choice...

I could definitely use some direction since I'm so out of touch with what's going on this ski season in terms of snowfall at various resorts.

Anyone who has an opinion (and I know the Divas aren't shy), speak up! But please... no shaming for my lack of ski days thus far... if Ski Diva worked like frequent travel mileage I would definitely be losing my status this year!:bolt:

I was at Sugarloaf on Friday, it wasn't a good scene except the trails with very recent snow blowing, everything else that was still closed from last week's rain was a glazed sheet of ice. I was at Loon this weekend and it was great, we had around 8 inches of snow Saturday and then springy conditions yesterday.. I had a blast both days. Sunday River was skiing fantastic last weekend, but not sure how it is now since I was elsewhere this weekend. I always bet my money on snowmaking and grooming at Sunday River though, compared to anywhere else I've been this winter we've by far had the best conditions there so far which is why it's my home mountain! :smile:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been hearing good things about Sunday River too. And if memory serves, Sugarbush has had a couple of actual snowstorms this season, which pretty much none of the other New England ski areas have done.

Skidiva was actually at Stowe a couple of weeks ago, but that was before the latest freeze/thaw/rain/freeze/thaw cycle.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'll attest to Sunday River being in good shape (at least by current east coast standards). I was there this weekend, Saturday had about 4 inches of snow and the patrollers actually dropped a few ropes. Sunday was beginning of April conditions with a fairly firm morning, and mashed potato afternoon. They did lose snow on Sunday, there's no arguing that.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Tremblant is completely open and in very good shape. They seemed to have mostly dodged the rain bullet the past couple of storms - but who can say what will happen this week. I was there today and there is nothing to whine about! They've had some 70 cm in the past week. Of course, all that could change in this crazy winter....

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Big rain coming through Wednesday, so I fear the PA mountain status. Not sure about Northern resorts

We survived last weekends warmathon at my home mountain in western Massachusetts but we can't take any more of that. I'm afraid for tomorrow's rain...................................................

Last edited:

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All of New England is forecast to be rain Wed night into Thurs.....then cold again.......
Just can't catch a break.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was at Gunstock yesterday - great day, but a lot of hardpack and ice, and many trails not open. If they don't get some snow soon, it;s going to be a very early end to the season.

Rain is predicted for RI today and tomorrow - hopefully it will be cold enough to be snow up north?

Glad my ice skis are sharpened and ready to roll cause they'll be what's on the menu come saturday.

Jilly

Staff member
We're expecting snow at Tremblant. In fact the whole weekend too. Sunday might mean a no trip home for me if they stay at 4-6". Not driving in that!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@Mom of Redheads With the Canadian dollar being so crazy low, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Banff/Lake Louise! The conditions are awesome right now and March and April are still winter months pretty much - in fact they're our big snowfall months. It's been glorious the past few weeks. BC has been pretty warm and spring-like conditions, even rain, but it's still winter in Alberta :smile: You can get a condo with kitchen for 4 people right now for about $120 CAD or about $80 USD in Canmore, get some lift tickets at Costco on your way out to Banff. You don't even need a car if you stay in Banff - you can get a shuttle from the airport to your hotel, and then there are buses that leave from the hotels to either Sunshine or Lake Louise everyday. If you've ever thought about skiing out here, I think now is pretty much the time to do it.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
In case any of you are interested, Sunshine Village is doing a 'ski week' promotion to attract US and UK skiers this year:

https://www.sunshinemountainlodge.com/ski-week

It works out to about $720 USD pp for 5 days, including
-5 days of lift tickets
-5 nights of accommodation
-4 days of 2 hour lessons (not sure if it's private or group, probably group).
-evening activities like reception, tobogganing, wine and cheese etc...

I don't know if I would want to stay at the Sunshine Lodge for 5 days in a row (not much going on up there), but it's still a pretty amazing deal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga