• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The East Coast Whine Thread

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All this Rain should be SNOW!!!I'm so bummed it's not white out.. having major ants in my pants did have 1 day on wrod at Okemo tha is not enough to change my attitude.. BAH Humbug. I want snow for Christmas PLEASE....

My friend Pam has confessed that all this lack of snow and crappy weather is her fault. She's not a skier but she loves winter and recently sold her Jeep Wrangler with monster off roading tires that were splendid in the snow. She sent me an apology text earlier today confessing that we haven't gotten any snow because she got rid of her Jeep and she's very sorry.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's it! I can't take it anymore. It is all my fault. I put in guide poles near my driveway so I wouldn't have trouble snow blowing it. I going to pull them out! So far the only one to make use of them has been the oil guy. He complained because the leaves were so deep on the driveway that he couldn't tell where he was going. (Thank God he's not my winter delivery person!)
And there appears no end in sight. I actually have a bloom on my rose bush (and it's not because I buried some bad guy there like in Practical Magic). I'm sick of watching "Chalet Girl" for the snow scenes, U-Tube videos of prior Olympics, my snow skiing DVDs, and the 15-day forecast, and keep going online to see if there is a really, really cheap airfare out west. (Someone got a floor I can sleep on?) The last two seasons here in PA were great--we opened Thanksgiving for two years in a row, completely unprecedented. The LATEST Roundtop ever opened was December 30. That's one record that I don't want to broken. I haven't even put the snow tires on the car and based on the forecast, I'm not even going to worry about it until after Christmas. Wahh!!!:cry:

The only upside I can see is that I'd like to get a new jacket and the sales and selection after Christmas or in the spring ought to be great.:doh:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw roses blooming on the Greenway in Boston today.
This weather stinks---as much as I actually appreciate having it warmer in southern New England I wish it was seasonably cold up North! It wouldn't even be so bad if it was seasonably cold most of the days with a few warmer days thrown in but it's just constant high temps.
Because it's been so warm I can't even believe Christmas is next week--I've always wondered if it would seem "strange" to live in a place that never got cold at Christmas time and now I know----yes, it feels odd to me!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been busy whining on FB, but at least I managed to get 5 days in so far. The major suckage is that we're both off next week to go skiing.

Last Friday's conditions at Boyne Mountain:
12376461_10206529599691987_5345453478826045648_n.jpg

Today's conditions:
12360310_10208263252526122_1035236689591378864_n.jpg

It looks like it might be cold enough to make snow the next couple of days, but will they bother given the remainder of the forecast for the next 2 weeks??

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I feel everyone's pain also. Haven't had my first day yet. Essentially have the next 2 weeks off (except 1 day), have an unlimited pass (since we needed to upgrade to buy the Maxpass for Big Sky) and not sure how much we'll ski in the near future. If they don't have the terrain open to handle all the people that will be there, it's not really worth it. Quite a bummer.

This is just how it was for living in southern California. I loved it but the difference was I could see snow anytime I wanted and I did by driving to big bear or mammoth. It was kind of the best of both worlds.

I need to cancel my days off for friday and monday. I need to use them by the end of the year so I guess I'll piggy back them with my other 2 days the week between christmas and new years and hope for the best.

Just checked the weather in more detail for next week, I am sad. Trying to be positive but its hard. I may buy new ski boots in the next couple weeks cause of all the money I am saving not skiing. Of course this will enhance my desire to ski which means the conditions will stay crappy. Ahhh if only I didn't have to spend a fortune on my sick kitty, I'd be able to hop on a plane to go skiing out west. Ahh well. Fingers crossed for a day in Vermont this weekend. Guess we get go to the indoor farmers market saturday and a christmas party saturday, things we never get to do this time of year.....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel your pain after last season here. Come visit--3-6 feet forecast for next week! We leave for Chicago for 5 days on the 26th and I want to cry! Pretty sure we'll be skiing on Christmas Day, which is our new tradition since moving here anyway, but this year, it'll be extra fun I think.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just learned that Mount Sunapee in NH has suspended operations til Sunday. They haven't been able to make snow since November 30.

Bromley has also suspended operations until at least the weekend, perhaps they'll open saturday.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sunday River got snowmaking going again last night. I guess I cannot really complain compared to many others in the east, because although the terrain is dramatically limited from normal most years at this time, the skiing really isn't horrible at all and the crowds haven't been unbearable yet. I do of course think that Christmas week is going to majorly push things, so I'm hoping for as many cold snaps as possible to keep making snow, they need it badly before then! I tweaked my back a few weeks ago, so I've been skiing short days and even skipped one weekend all together, but it's getting better everyday so I'm looking forward to more, more, more.. and I'm thankful that it happened when things weren't that spectacular. Though calling it quits early in the lodge when everyone else is still skiing has sucked a bit..

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At this point, given how warm Christmas is looking, unless there is a dramatic temp drop right after Christmas... may not get to ski until mid-Jan? Certainly not before the New Year. I doubt I'll get in over 20 days this year. *sigh* I'm feeling super down this morning.

MissySki

Angel Diva
At this point, given how warm Christmas is looking, unless there is a dramatic temp drop right after Christmas... may not get to ski until mid-Jan? Certainly not before the New Year. I doubt I'll get in over 20 days this year. *sigh* I'm feeling super down this morning.

You are always welcome to come up and visit us!! Of course I know it's a long drive for not that much skiing.. :(

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are always welcome to come up and visit us!! Of course I know it's a long drive for not that much skiing.. :(

Talk to me in mid-January when I still haven't skied. lol.

I think the latest I've ever started skiing is New Years Eve? This is a new record for sure this year.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
It's sure frustrating, but remember that many in the West last year experienced the same conditions we are now. It's a very strong El Nino.

I have decided that, except for a few outbursts, I have decided to not whine. We can't change the weather, and fretting about something we have no control over is a shortcut to madness. ;-)

OK, I do also realize that whining is fun, in a weird sort of way, so I don't want to spoil this thread! :-)

So.....I'm really trying. I'm SO busy at my teaching job this year that I hardly have time to think about skiing. And, I've been running a fair amount and after running 3 half marathons, am signed up for another five. I'm just trying to make the best of it.

That said, the real kicker is this: I won, by filling out an online subscription, a pair of Volkl 100Eight W skis. They are really more of a Western ski; we would need a big dump to make them really useful here. Could I possibly have jinxed the weather by winning them????

The only conclusion I can come to by the above is that I am definitely taking a Western ski trip next year!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga