• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

That time of year? Time to decide...

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I am watching it rain outside after almost 2 weeks of 45+ degree weather, and I'm feeling like it's the time of year when you decide whether or not to hang it up for the year!:noidea:

We (Dad of Redheads and I) haven't done as much skiing as I wanted, but the kids had a great season with lots of lessons and fun... we had a real 4-day ski vacation and outfitted ourselves with desperately needed new boots and skis!

Realistically, there won't be much snow left at the anthill where the kids take lessons, so to get some spring skiing in, we'd have to commit to spending $$ and time for a long weekend in VT somewhere... but DH wrenched his knee a few weeks ago so he's basically done, and baseball practices begin in a few weeks! If we try to get one more ski weekend in, we'll never get the holiday lights off the house!:eek:

There's always a point when I stop thinking, "keep snowing so I can ski," and start thinking, "when's Spring already?" I'm getting close to being there... anyone else know this feeling?:bag:

abc

Banned
So, I am watching it rain outside after almost 2 weeks of 45+ degree weather, and I'm feeling like it's the time of year when you decide whether or not to hang it up for the year!:noidea:
Nope.

Spring skiing is when I REALLY ski. Short of skiing knee deep fluff, spring corn is about the best kind of snow as far as I can tell! So while I'm slow to get started (usually only after New Year), I'm also the last one to quit!

I usually ski on Easter weekend.

Realistically, there won't be much snow left at the anthill where the kids take lessons, so to get some spring skiing in, we'd have to commit to spending $$ and time for a long weekend in VT somewhere... but DH wrenched his knee a few weeks ago so he's basically done, and baseball practices begin in a few weeks! If we try to get one more ski weekend in, we'll never get the holiday lights off the house!:eek:

There's always a point when I stop thinking, "keep snowing so I can ski," and start thinking, "when's Spring already?" I'm getting close to being there... anyone else know this feeling?:bag:
That's an entirely different matter. There's one year I had that feeling ("thank god it got so warm in March") due to injury...

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok, Mom of Redheads--you're the first one to say it. Arghhh! We are still getting snow here (it's snowing outside right now) and I'm still in the game to ski. I'm not such a fan of spring skiing (i hate the heat) but mostly because the smell in the air is summer...which I find hot, sticky and generally not my thing. I adore it in October (or so) when I go out in the mornings and there's that snap in the air that signals winter coming...and the plants have their last hoorah before going to sleep. I. Come. Alive. Then.

So I sympathize, if that's what you want. If the winter schedule has been brutal on your limbs, then I'm happy for you to have a new season and different muscles to strain (!)

Me? I'm gonna hit the pow tomorrow. Today, I have to work (reading a novel I assigned my students) and watch the 4 inches so far that have fallen here at lake level. My guess is 16 inches at least on the mountain before tomorrow...

Here in California, when my cold-shy friends whine about it being so cold still, I remind them that we've had a drought here in California for the last 4 years, and if they don't want to stop flushing toilets in the summer, they d** well better join me in praying for snow!! (giggle)

Eviesnowcat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As someone who lives at sea level and at least 10 hours drive from any skiing I would say that given the chance I would ski right up until they throw me off the lifts. :wink:

We've done 2 weeks in Utah and 2 weeks at Tahoe this year and I'm feeling pretty desperate at the prospect of no more skiing until next January. I say do it if you can!:drool::drool::drool:

altagirl

Staff member
I went to Vegas to do a mountain bike camp at the end of February. Once I get out on my bike in some sunny weather and brush up on the bike handling skills... that's the flip of the switch.

I'm ready for bike season. Not that I won't be enjoying a few more ski days here and there through mid-April when Alta closes, but I got out on my road bike yesterday in the sunshine and... yeah. Winter can be done anytime now as far as I'm concerned.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I find the end of ski season depressing. Seriously. And I don't generally get depressed. While other people rejoice at the advent of spring, I actually go into a serious funk. Almost like a period of mourning. If I could ski all year round, I would. And this from someone who hates being cold.

I wish I had something that I enjoyed in the warmer months as much as skiing, but I don't. I guess that's the problem.

Still, I guess I shouldn't complain. I ski more than a lot of people I know (today was day #55), so I guess I'm just being whiny.

DrJ, I'm jealous that you're getting snow right now. Here the snow is turning to mush and we're heading into what's known in these parts as "mud season" (yes, it's as glorious as it sounds.) I think we're about 2-3 weeks ahead of where we should be this time of year. And that means an early close to a late starting season.

Sigh. :(

geargrrl

Angel Diva
we tell seasons by whether DH has a beard or not.

Generally the skis get put away and boats get blown up ( whitewater)m the bikes lubed up, and that's how we tell.

Christy

Angel Diva
We got 11" in the last 24 hours and it's snowing on and off, with more in the forecast this weekend, so I don't feel like it's the end of the season yet. The last couple of years it was cold and snowing through the last weekend in April, though I don't think that's going to happen in this El Nino year.

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find the end of ski season depressing. Seriously. And I don't generally get depressed. While other people rejoice at the advent of spring, I actually go into a serious funk. Almost like a period of mourning. If I could ski all year round, I would. And this from someone who hates being cold.

I wish I had something that I enjoyed in the warmer months as much as skiing, but I don't. I guess that's the problem.

Sigh. :(

I know the feelin'.

I know I will adjust: we have pea gravel in our yard (to imitate the Tuileries in Paris...) and a bocce court (ok, petanque...) with little white lights strung over it so that we can play bocce into the evening, with a big bowl of salad and bread and wine and have fun. We have wisteria growing (I love England) and an herb garden with lots of sage (for carmelized butter with sage over pasta in winter), lavender and rosemary. We have our japanese maple trees, and cherry trees. We have huge boulders with squirrels and other critters arguing over the peanuts we throw out for them.

I hate gardening. But most of this is minimal work, esp since most of our summers we spend in Europe traveling in our bus. But this year, the economy has killed us--so we'll probably be home here. It sure beats the decades I lived in San Francisco in the Haight/Ashbury with drugs and throw-up outside my door (NEVER romanticize that city...)

I'm grateful for my health, my wonderful animals, my lovely and distracting yard. I'm grateful for my loving husband and son. And winter will come around again. I will prep my muscles for it!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm right there with you. I hate March. I'm always in a funk in March. The past few years I've started traveling a LOT in March, both skiing and to warm places (Palm Springs, Arizona, etc.), and that helps. I like the sun if I know I can return and go skiing again, you know? I have to ease into it...

But it's the time of year you go to REI, and all the ski gear is piled up in a corner and the camping gear comes back out, geez I just HATE that! :laugh:

I'm going to Palm Springs on Monday ... it's always fun, but forecast temps next week are in the high 80s. Luckily, we spend the following week at Copper. Whew.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I will adjust: we have pea gravel in our yard (to imitate the Tuileries in Paris...) and a bocce court (ok, petanque...) with little white lights strung over it so that we can play bocce into the evening, with a big bowl of salad and bread and wine and have fun. We have wisteria growing (I love England) and an herb garden with lots of sage (for carmelized butter with sage over pasta in winter), lavender and rosemary. We have our japanese maple trees, and cherry trees. We have huge boulders with squirrels and other critters arguing over the peanuts we throw out for them.

Okay, that does sound awfully nice...

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
It has warmed up here, as my friends and I were commenting while enjoying lunch in the sun today. I haven't gotten as much skiing in as I would have liked this season, because I got into winter mountaineering, so I don't want the season to end.... There's lots of snow in Mammoth, so I should be able to ski through May, :wink:

Then in the summer months, I'll be backpacking again, :clap: Don't get me wrong, skiing is and will always be my #1 passion, :thumbsup:

altagirl

Staff member
That's all it is - finding something you love to do in each season. I should write a self-help book. You CAN Enjoy All Four Seasons!

Though I admittedly have a rough time with the real heat of summer. But from the time I can start riding a bike without my hands freezing solid to the time it hits 90 degrees, I'm in heaven. Or in the fall, or when it snows and I can go skiing...

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We just got started!!!
I am NOT ready to give it up. I only have 25 days so far.
sniff:faint:

and.... I saw a mountain bluebird this afternoon. 1st of the season

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I am forced to think Spring as I do farming of Organic vegetables in the summer and have to start seedlings soon. However. Last year I skied late into April in spite of it. I really like Spring skiing thus will admit I do not want to think the end of skiing yet. I will ski for as long as I can.
Plus given I have just gotten new skis I want lots of time to ski if nature allows. So let the snow fly if possible .

Am I ready for Spring only down in the valley not in the mtns!!

Marigee

Angel Diva
I find the end of ski season depressing. Seriously. And I don't generally get depressed. While other people rejoice at the advent of spring, I actually go into a serious funk. Almost like a period of mourning. If I could ski all year round, I would.

This is exactly how I feel about spring. Instead of enjoying all the emerging greenery I think about how ski season is almost at an end and I'll have way too many months until I ski again.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We just got started!!!

Isn't that the truth!

By the way, it occurred to me that both warm places I typically travel to in March have lots of nice mountains, even snowy ones. I never go to a beach or somewhere un-mountained. I think that may be my subconcious talking....

california-palm-springs.jpg

phoenixaz1.jpg

abc

Banned
That's all it is - finding something you love to do in each season. I should write a self-help book. You CAN Enjoy All Four Seasons!

Though I admittedly have a rough time with the real heat of summer. But from the time I can start riding a bike without my hands freezing solid to the time it hits 90 degrees, I'm in heaven. Or in the fall, or when it snows and I can go skiing...
I used to think so. But since started white water kayaking again, that problem is solved! :D

I think ANY water sport will do, for a repreive from the heat.

Failing that, try ice hockey!

(I'm not even joking, I know someone who plays indoors. Very refreshing walk into an ice ring in the depth of summer)

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not ready to give it up yet and am sitting at home watching the various web cams I monitor looking at the snow fall in Tahoe. Can't make it up this weekend and it is killing me :drool: Tomorrow should be a great pow day

I do love spring skiing and hope to get some extra days in April to make up for what I am missing in March.

At some point spring calls and for DH and me, sailing season begins. I am trying to hold that off as long as possible but I am looking forward to the daylight savings switch this weekend!!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Posting this from Mammoth, where it is snowing and blowing. Tomorrow will be a heavy powder day, but powder nonetheless.

I am not even close to the end of the season. I expect to ski on my birthday - June 4 - this year. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna