• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thanksgiving skiing?

kentish

Certified Ski Diva
Was planning a day at Stratton on Saturday but looks like it won't be happening yet :( Oh, well, more money for Black Friday shopping, I suppose.

C

CMCM

We just finished our 10th ski day of the season today, and plan to be there at opening tomorrow....I'm guessing it won't be too busy because it's turkey day,but I'm sure Friday will be horrible so we won't go then. Today was pretty good for about 2 hours, then it got too crowded. We've got 3 lifts open right now, but it can still get congested. Not bad, though...we're getting warmed up for the season. Squaw is "sort of" open...only one steep, moguly run which I don't like, so I'm not going there yet. Once was enough...I'll wait until the "real" snow is piled up on top.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoping to do a few turns today, but I70 is currently closed in both directions d/t an elk vs car vs semi accident. And I don't have the patience to be in the frontage road traffic. *sigh*

altagirl

Staff member
My husband and I went up for a while yesterday, but ended up stopping and talking to so many people that we only got 3 runs in and then had to head home to take the turkey out of the oven. Heh. Oh well.

Conditions were decent for what it is, but there are some rocks sticking out of groomers in places I've never seen before! At least it was a nice sunny day!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanksgiving

Hi Divas,

Have been gone from here for a few weeks, as we spent November traveling the Danube/Main/Rhein rivers from Budapest to Amsterdam. Very cool.

Landed from Amsterdam in Utah on Wednesday night----was up on the slopes at Brighton Thursday morning. How cool is that?

Limited terrain on man-made snow=slick. I am impressed with the snow farming, as there were very few bald spots and good coverage on the open runs. An unusual bonus---no holiday crowds, locals are staying away, waiting for the goods. I took six runs, nice and easy, loaded up my locker, and picked up my host coat.

I'm grateful for the best Thanksgiving and November ever!!

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be skiing on Sunday! Well, at least the three runs that Solitude has open....
It was pretty nice there on Tues. I just did laps off of Eagle Express - those runs at least have some pitch to them for being "blue".

Scukaru

Diva in Training
My husband and I went up to South Lake Tahoe, Heavenly has been making snow now for the past month. There has also been a few good storms to start a good base, needless to say opening day was Friday November 21st and because of wind the Gondola was shut down; and I had to work. Finally on Monday we got to go up, hey only 3 miles of terrain was open, but it was worth it to break in my new skiis! Only 2 lifts were open Tamarack and Dipper, but by Thanksgiving Day Comet Express was up and running, corduroy first thing in the morning and silence on the hill. The only sound were my skiis slicing through the snow, aaaaahhhhhhh.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're at Stratton for Thanksgiving weekend. No skiing for us - instead did the gobble gobble wobble 5k Thanksgiving morning. At least, right now, I'm looking out the window at a few inches of snow. White is a welcome sight!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got the first day of the season in the books today at Breckenridge with Lilabear. I was pleasantly surprised with how good the snow conditions were, although there isn't that much open yet, and it was therefore a little crowded, but not too bad. Meeting up with RachelV and friend shortly for dinner, then some more skiing tomorrow before I have to head back to real life. :p

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Thanksgiving, but then also hosted dinner that night. I skied Friday as well. The snow wasn't bad, and we had one more run open than we traditionally do on Thanksgiving, so a good time was had by all. I didn't go up yesterday and I'm not going up today, because with the limited terrain we've got open it means there are a LOT (by Telluride standards) of people on each run...and frankly some of them scare the heck out of me...they have NO control.

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monarch on Wednesday was really good, but Copper on Thursday not so much. Conditions were strangely similar to the east coast skiing that I ran away from and where did all those people come from? Didn't they know it was a holiday???? We still had a fabulous time then stopped by Mt Princeton Hot Springs on the way home for a soak in the river. We pushed our actual Thanksgiving dinner back a day and celebrated on Friday, then went downtown for the annual parade of lights and the lighting of Tenderfoot Mountain.

SMountain.jpg

We have a triangle shaped mountain right at the edge of downtown. Normally it just has a lit up S that alternates with a red heart (for "Heart of the Rockies"), but at Christmas time they light the whole mountain up like a Christmas tree.

It was a very nice weekend, but was over much too soon. One son and his girlfriend left early Saturday for their 15 hour drive home and the other son flies out today.

Christy

Angel Diva
I love that mountain tree!

I watched the Ladies' GS yesterday on tv from Aspen and geez, there is nothing there! It's just brown. They said they'd only even been able to make snow the past couple days for the course, and conditions were like pond ice, according to the racers.

RockiesGirl

Certified Ski Diva
We were at Keystone from Thurs night thru today. Runs were way too busy with too many people on mainly man-made snow. We were happy to be skiing but only put in a few runs. On the other hand, our 3-year-old was in ski school for the first time and after two days, he can now snow plough, turn, and stop where he wants! We're so proud! :clap:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great to hear, RockiesGirl! I bought the Keystone family lesson package for DS, so he will be getting lessons sometime soon. I really hope he loves it and picks it up quickly!

I skied Breck again today with Lilabear, and it was very similar conditions to yesterday, but much less crowded. I think the lack of snow so far really kept the front range crowd away. There weren't that many runs open, so the lack of variety in terrain got a little old, but it was still fun for a couple of days!

RockiesGirl

Certified Ski Diva
That's great to hear, RockiesGirl! I bought the Keystone family lesson package for DS, so he will be getting lessons sometime soon. I really hope he loves it and picks it up quickly!

Yep, we bought that package too so DS took lessons at the Mountain House base. The staff was great, and I loved the fact that they have different levels on different areas at the base of the mountain, so on day two he really felt like he'd got better because he could go higher up the mountain :smile: Not an issue this weekend, but it's also great that it is at the base of the mountain, which means warmer temps and less wind. Good luck to you and yours!

PowderKat

Certified Ski Diva
"Earned our turns" at Jay Peak on Sunday. They got hit with some high altitude snow that was a rain storm down in the valley. The lifts weren't turning, but there was plenty of snow to have some fun in. I think things will be setting up well for this weekend :bounce:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No. I'm p-o'ed. I could have sworn Killington would be open yesterday, but NOOOOOO, I guess everything got washed away and was not good enough even to open those few trails, and the one that enables you to get close enough to the bottom to walk back. Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

but, I did get some really good shopping deals...in Manchester at the Orvis outlet 70% off!!! and a few nice things at 50% off in Killington. Also, that was my first road trip with the new car, it was good. Now, it needs a bath.

hollysmom

Diva in Training
We drove 163.7 miles each way (love the Map App) from Newton to Bretton Woods to spend the afternoon on 14" of fresh snow. It was the last day of our visit so I was willing to do just about anything to ski. Darn kids and school - we can't get away easily now that we have a 6th grader...

SSM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga