• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thanksgiving skiing?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So who's skiing over Thanksgiving?

I did last year. But this year there is not one flake of snow to be seen, here in Vermont. It's depressing.

So if you're planning to ski, let us live vicariously through you! Who's getting out there on Turkey Day?

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Planned on skiing Black Friday, but no snow here. :(

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I'm not working T-day, I might go make a couple of turns at PCMR. Staff is working extra hard to get enough snow down and groomed to open a couple more runs for the weekend. Grooming Dept. is rotating the guns that are on, so they are running 24/7. Yesterday, it was hard to hear down at First Time lift (where I worked) because of all the guns going. The new terrain park crew has set up a temporary park on the lower mod part of Home Run so even the park rats have a place to play right now. I was surprised how many people we had out there skiing yesterday. Lots of lessons going on, too. And, that was a Monday! So, I'm guessing some families have started their T-day holiday early.
I'm on as a "TBD" for Thursday - it depends on whether or not management decides the guest load will be heavy enough to add extra staff. It's usually one of my days off, but my boss asked me if I'd be willing to work. Never turn down a chance to make some money...

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're in the same boat as SD and Sev.

Plans were to ski all weekend, but warm temps and brown ground put an end to that pipe dream. :(

Christy

Angel Diva
We wanted to spend the long weekend in Whistler or at least near Mt Baker but we couldn't find a dogsitter! So we're doomed to the family dinner. We'll ski Friday or Saturday, maybe both.

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No snow here either :(

3 runs is better than none tradygirl! Im jealous!

Trip reports please :D

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We wanted to spend the long weekend in Whistler or at least near Mt Baker but we couldn't find a dogsitter! So we're doomed to the family dinner. We'll ski Friday or Saturday, maybe both.

"doomed" :ROTF:

Not skiing on T-day but will drive up leisurely on Saturday (a blackout pass day), maybe stop in Manchester to do a little Christmas shopping, hang out Sat eve and ski Sunday (crossing fingers). There will probably be man-made stuff on Northridge at K-Mart.

Jilly

Staff member
That's what I love about our Thanksgiving being in October. Definately no skiing, rake a few leaves maybe. If its warm enough maybe a swim before the dock is raised. October is so much better!

But its a long haul from then till Christmas!

Christy

Angel Diva
That's what I love about our Thanksgiving being in October. Definately no skiing, rake a few leaves maybe. If its warm enough maybe a swim before the dock is raised. October is so much better!

I agree, November is a pretty crappy month to get a 4 day weekend. It's usually too early to ski (at least to plunk money down in advance for a ski trip) but the weather is to crappy to do anything else, here in the PNW anyway.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I won't be skiing on the day itself, but I will be heading up Friday afternoon to stay with Lilabear and ski Saturday and Sunday. I'm hoping that they get enough snow (or make enough) to open a few more runs by this weekend. If not, I may toss my snowshoes in the car as a back-up plan!

jfoxgrande

Certified Ski Diva
Vermont bound- Thanksgiving

I am new to site and enjoying the posts and community. Live at the NJ Shore and spending Thanksgiving weekend at Stratton, VT after a wonderful trip last year. At least bringing family and grandchildren, we will have some fun anyway, but craving snow. Began skiing five years ago, after 20 years. Spent 30 days last season between VT and UT This years goal is to explore new mountains!

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monarch opens for the season tomorrow, so I'll get out for a few hours just to christen the season. Then on Thanksgiving day I'm going to Copper with my DS and his girlfriend while my DH and my other DS go to the football game in Denver. Then the rest of the weekend is up in the air, but probably will include at least a couple of other half days, just because we're open and my younger DS is dying to ski!

skidaup

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Visiting daughter in Boulder and skiing Eldora and probably Loveland.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DS and I were thinking of skiing tomorrow, but the local resorts in SoCal only have the WROD and those look kind of crowded.

We will hold out for more terrain later - but we will probably be so busy that we'll just wait 'til we get to Snowbasin in late December. Thankfully they are opening Thursday, having had the same great snowmaking window we've had. Cold in the mountains + low humidity + moderate daytime temps = snowmaking!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
No Thanksgiving skiing for me this year, but I'm thinking back fondly to last year when I visited friends in Colorado for turkey day.

It was snowing and I took some runs at Aspen Mt. in 8 inches of chopped up powder and then got to watch one of the Women's World Cup GS races. That was a blast! If you've never seen World Cup racing in person, you should really try to make a point of it. It's amazing to see these elite skiers in action up close. :smile:

Not sure where the World Cup events are this year . . . .

alias

Diva in Training
Both Fernie and Revelstoke are having preview weekends over American Thanksgiving. So, up here in the Canadian Rockies it's going to be a sweet weekend. The preview lift ticket prices aren't up for Fernie yet but at Revy (where we are planning to go) it's going to be $50 tickets. Here's hoping the snow keeps coming and makes for awesome ski seasons across the board.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga