• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tesla (Model 3) in Colorado?

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I am going to Denver for a week(Jan 13-20) and had the option of renting a Tesla Model 3. With a MCP pass, I hope to visit Aspen Snowmass and Arapahoe Basin. Would Tesla be a good buddy or should I go with an SUV? Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am going to Denver for a week(Jan 13-20) and had the option of renting a Tesla Model 3. With a MCP pass, I hope to visit Aspen Snowmass and Arapahoe Basin. Would Tesla be a good buddy or should I go with an SUV? Thanks!
How much knowledge do you have about charging up a Tesla? Take a look and see where the Tesla Superchargers are between Denver and Aspen. I would expect there to be several. Colorado was an early adopter for BEVs.

Is the Model 3 AWD?

How many people? A Model 3 isn't very big when it comes to luggage and skis. A friend of my husband who lives in Texas had a Model 3. He's a retired bachelor who takes long distance driving trips a few times a year. He upgraded to a Model Y last year to have more interior space for stuff.

I have driven out to Colorado from North Carolina twice for early season ski trips. A couple years ago, my husband and I opted to get a RAV4 Prime AWD PHEV instead of a BEV. Makes for much less thought when away from home. Last week it was very cold near Wolf Creek, meaning single digit highs during the day. With a BEV, that means much less range and longer charging times. Having a PHEV meant I was essentially driving a hybrid and didn't have to do anything differently than a traditional ICE SUV.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Download Plugshare and ChargePoint for charging locations inbetween Superchargers. To charge at Level 2 chargers, you will need a J1772 adaptor so make sure one is provided to you. Know that cold temperatures, heating, passenger/luggage weight, uphill climb will all drain the battery a lot faster than normal. If you will be parking outside, the car will go into a deep sleep and it will cost you power to wake up and condition the battery before you drive it in the morning. If you can, keep it plug in overnight at a wall outlet to at least prevent phantom drain and the 12v battery from dying. And ask if plugging it into a wall outlet is allowed at your lodging. It is considered a fire hazard at some places. For that, you will likely need an extension cord and have the actual charging cable with you. I’d also turn on Chill mode. I personally will not rent an EV if you have no prior experience with it in the winter with frigid temperatures.

Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I live in Aspen for the ski seasons.
I suggest not get the Tesla. When you drive I-70 in the winter, always rent SUV/all wheel drive or 4wheel drive. They are scary enough without having winter tires on rentals. All rentals inly have all weather tires. Not enough to drive in the CO bad weather, specially near the Vail pass. It has been a cold winter. Be safe.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will choose FWD with snow tires over AWD with all weather tires cuz traction is what allows u 2 stop. Below is the myth of AWD debunked by popular mechanics.
Watch AWD slip in snow from yesterday 12/28/22 in CO.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We love our Tesla (Y) out here. But I wouldn't drive it in the winter on stock tires, we mount snows on ours. Charging is no issue out here, plenty of chargers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga