• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tell me about hand/foot warmers

C

CMCM

I was reading the "keep warm" thread, and I realized I am not at all up to speed on the various items you can get as hand and foot warmers. Someone mentioned buying a big box of something at Costco, and I've seen mention of various other things here and there. Could someone "in the know" summarize what is out there, how it's used, etc.?

Jilly

Staff member
The hand and foot warmers I get at Costco are a disposible chemical based pad like device. They often have an adhesive pad to attached them to clothing. These pads are activated by exposure to air. You take them out of the packaging and shake. They can get quite hot too. Not sure what the trade name is on the ones we have, but Hot Shots are available at most ski shops and Canadian Tire stores.

I can't say that I've ever put these into my boots. I really don't think I would have the room. DH uses them for his hands. The adhesive holds the pad onto the back of his glove/mitt liner. He has a real problem with cold hands. I want to try them outside the boot with the Boot Glove over top. I really think that should work.

I like the idea of battery powered heaters. I got a set at the end of the season last year, so I haven't had a chance to try them. Much better for the environment I hope. I didn't want to try to attach them to my cork footbeds, so I took them into the shop. They've been busy changing seasons, so my heaters have taken a back seat.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Couldn't ski without 'em! I don't have trouble with them in the boots at all, but my friend does if she tries to put them on the bottom of her feet rather than than the top.

I think the brand we get here is Grabber My Coal or something like that. I'll check the boot bag and see if there are any left from last year.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't have trouble with them in the boots at all, but my friend does if she tries to put them on the bottom of her feet rather than than the top.

I'm feeling really stoopid here ... how do you get the things on the top of your feet? If you do it before you put your feet into your boots, how do they stay on top, or how do you have room to get your feet in? (I have this image of me lying on my back on the floor of the ski lodge, feet raised up over my head so the heat packs are at the top of my boots, trying to pull my boots on! Trust me ... this is NOT a pretty picture!)

I think this year I will try some kind of heat source for my hands, at least. Mine are cold even without being out in the cold and wind.

altagirl

Staff member
For use in boots you have to buy boot-specific toe warmer ones. They are probably 3x thinner than the ones designed as "hand warmers" and have self adhesive so you can stick them to the top of your socks.

They work great - even with "race fit" boots, you typically should have room to wiggle your toes up and down. If you stick the heater on the tops of your toes (I do it sideways so it's only across my toes, not going on top of my foot), it doesn't seem to affect my boot fit. I can't imagine trying to put them under my toes - your footbeds shouldn't have anything interfering with contact. But on top seems to work fine.

Plus, they are cheap enough that you can try them and know if they work for you and want to buy some in bulk.

I use them whenever it's under about 20 degrees outside. I've tried Hottronic battery operated heaters, but had issues with feeling the power cord behind my heels, and then lost a battery pack and just gave up on them. The disposable ones work just fine and when you buy them in bulk and only use them on cold days - it's not that expensive.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I too find the Hot Shot variety (non-electronic) ones work well. My boots are a pretty tight fit, but the foot warmers fit easily over my toes. I only use the hand warmers when it's extremely cold as I find they bother me somewhat - but on those minus 25 degree days, they're essential. I learned last year that if you're skiing with kids, it's a good idea to carry extra warmers. I was at Tremblant on a frigid day with the two grandkids and when I produced the hand and foot warmers, and you've never seen two happier kids.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH found the warmers at Costco last Friday...we are set!

Love these. I have ski mittens that have built in pockets for them. Although I only use them on real cold days, if I'm on the fence I'll toss a package in my pocket - they can make me sweat if I don't really need them.

Last year was the first time I tried them in boots. Use only the foot warmers, I stick them right on bottom of my ski sock before putting them in boots, no problem getting them out of position. I basically cover the ball of my feet and toes. If my boots were pre-warmed first, even on a -10 day, my toes are toasty all day.

They are great for kids. Almost bought my 4yo new ski mittens this weekend, then looked for a hand warmer pocket - it didn't have one, so I didn't buy them.

Plus...I always have a freezing cold butt...no matter what - doesn't really bother me, just a fact that it'll be frozen after a ski day. Handwarmers that are still toasy warm will be sat on later in the day :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To put them on the top you do one of two things:
  • take the adhesive protector off, stick them to the top of your toes, point your toes and slip into your boots. Much easier and cozier than putting them on the bottom.
  • If you have boot gloves, you can put the toe warmer on the outside of the boot between the boot and boot glove which actually works well, and doesn't get your feet too hot.

Another cool thing about toe warmers is that you can stick them to the back of your cell phone to keep the phone battery from going dead. :becky:

Christy

Angel Diva
Warning, sometimes they've become activated before you use them (like, if they've gotten scrunched up by someone or something) so they don't always work when you want them to. Bring an extra if you'e really counting on them.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Regarding the top of my toes - the adhesive isn't always the best so I was also using some tape and just taping them on to make it easier, too. Then it's just a matter of pointing your toes and slipping the boot on. It did take a little practice, but not too bad.

Sure do wish we lived closer, though, so I could watch you trying it!!

Ski-dreamer_Diva

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span><br
Another cool thing about toe warmers is that you can stick them to the back of your cell phone to keep the phone battery from going dead. :becky:

I like this idea. I haven't tried toe warmers but LOVE my hand warmers that slide in the zip pocket of my mitts (mitts are warmer than gloves for me)

And like MaryLou I always have a freezing butt but I can't say I feel cold - my butt's just really cold! Perhaps I can try sticking toe warmers to my butt cheeks?? May not be comfy on the lift tho!:eyebrows:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I still like mollmeister's concept of hand warmer pack between boot shell and boot glove (which I have yet to purchase). Can't imagine any room in my toe box for anything but the toes :noidea: - and actually haven't the vaguest idea where to start looking for hand warmers in quantity anyway, as there isn't a single Costco in this state. Do Sam's Club or BJ's carry anything similar? (also not near a TJ Maxx)

The "cold butt syndrome," ha. Current fashion - much more fitted jackets that are shorter - doesn't always serve us well. The past days of longer technical hard shells and jackets really "covered this" :becky: problem better. I'm just not a fitted soft-shell fan for this very reason, skiing on a legendary-cold mountain. (I usually wear a wind-block fleece under an insulated jacket - just the thought of wearing a soft shell before April makes me cold!

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first time I used toe warmers I put them under my toes and had problems because my toes were cramped. Since then the few times I've used toe warmers I stick them to the top of the inside of my boot's toebox. I'll have to try them on top of my toes.

I also wear mittens due to cold fingers. Although my mittens have a pocket, I just stick the packet inside my mittens. When I am riding up the chair lift I bring my thumbs inside the finger portion of the mitten and make a fist around the packet. When skiing, it's easy enough to flip the packet behind my fingers and my thumb back in it's usual location. It works well.

I like the idea of placing the hand warmers in my boots while driving to the ski resort! :clap:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Someone mentioned snowboard pants having some extra padding in the rear and that it kept them warmer while riding up the lift - last year, I think. It stuck with me for when I need new pants.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still like mollmeister's concept of hand warmer pack between boot shell and boot glove (which I have yet to purchase). Can't imagine any room in my toe box for anything but the toes :noidea: - and actually haven't the vaguest idea where to start looking for hand warmers in quantity anyway, as there isn't a single Costco in this state. Do Sam's Club or BJ's carry anything similar? (also not near a TJ Maxx)

Try this:

https://www.campmor.com/grabber-hand-warmers-gift-pack.shtml

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^Thanks. That link came up when googled. Just found something else online, 40 pairs (handwarmers, toe warmers also available) for $34.49. Have no idea if this is a good deal or not - :confused: Seems okay for 40 pairs? (2.95 shipping, I can't drive anywhere they're sold in this region for less than that.)

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The "cold butt syndrome," ha. Current fashion - much more fitted jackets that are shorter - doesn't always serve us well. The past days of longer technical hard shells and jackets really "covered this" :becky: problem better. I'm just not a fitted soft-shell fan for this very reason, skiing on a legendary-cold mountain. (I usually wear a wind-block fleece under an insulated jacket - just the thought of wearing a soft shell before April makes me cold!

No matter what, even if it's not a freezing cold day, but butt gets cold to the touch...but I don't really feel cold from it - unless it's a freezing day. Strange...but I figure that's the purpose of all that blubber lol...a nice natural insulating layer, better than any man-made equipment. It's funny, b/c my husband and I have totally opposite HVAC body systems...in the summer I am cool to the touch and feel good..he is boiling hot to the touch and feels good. In the winter I snuggle with him...in the summer I tell him to stay away..."I can't cool you down w/o getting hot myself" lol...

I don't know how much the cases of warmers were at Costco, but they retail for $2 it seems, so you're getting a good deal. Best part is you always have them, can stuff in bags and pockets to always be prepared.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do something a little different with the toe warmers. Rather than sticking them to the top of my socks, I stick them to the boot liner, way up in the tip of the the toe box. I wear slipperyish socks and they always seemed to bunch up or slide off when stuck to the socks, but when stuck to the liner, the slippery sicks allow my toes to just slide in underneath with no bunching, rolling, or sliding.

To get a picture of this put your hand out, plam side up, lay a toe warmer sticky-side up on your fingers and stick your thumb to it right on the very edge. Now slide your whole hand and most of your arm into your boot, all the way to the end of the toe box and stick the warmer to the top of the liner. Smooth it down and remove your hand/arm. Slide your foot in gently and say aaaaahhhhhhh. :cool:

IttyBittyBetty

Certified Ski Diva
Get 'em soon at COSTCO

If you plan to buy a box of warmers bulk at COSTCO, they tend to have them this time of the year but often run out by Christmas, so get 'em soon! They are sooo cheap there! I swear by the hand warmers and use them on all but the warmest days. I don't use foot warmers, but my toes stay pretty warm as I tele ski (all that foot flexing keeps the blood moving).

It's snowing up in the mountains of Colorado!!!

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[

Plus...I always have a freezing cold butt...no matter what - doesn't really bother me, just a fact that it'll be frozen after a ski day. Handwarmers that are still toasy warm will be sat on later in the day :D[/QUOTE]

Mary Lou--I have them too, and love 'em. Two ideas for the frozen butt thingie: we deep-sixed our 'guest room' and put in a sauna (great for warming up after a cold day!). Second idea--and don't just laugh me off my skis--try sticking a couple of those foot warmers to your butt under your clothes. I use them for all kinds of frozen areas...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna