• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tell me about Alta?

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
We’re in Calgary and thinking of doing a road trip down to Alta and back the first week of March. yes, it’s a 14 hr drive one way and we know there’s lots of other great hills closer, but it’s more about the road trip and adventure aspect, my husband loves long drives. We’re spoiled and have already done the powder highway a few times so that’s why we landed on heading down to Alta. We like the idea of a hill without snowboarders too. We’d probably stop at one other place to ski along the way, haven’t picked it yet.

is there anything I should know before I green light this idea of his haha? Any other good hills to consider along the way? We’re pass holders at Lake Louise and love easy blacks and blues, mostly on piste skiers. We don’t have any passes like Ikon etc so we’d be paying full ticket rates.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, well it's 14 hours in good weather for about 1400 miles from Calgary to SLC. However, in the first week of March there is a good chance of a snowstorm somewhere along the way. I've done the drive between SLC and Bozeman often enough to know how much longer that drive can take if there is snow blowing across the road causing low visibility even though there is a snowstorm. My travel/ski buddy and I stop in Driggs for a few nights to ski at Grand Targhee on the way north. GT is better for people comfortable skiing off-piste in powder.

Alta is my favorite destination is the Rockies. Even after skiing at quite a few in the last decade, including Big Sky, Jackson Hole, and Aspen/Snowmass. I go for an annual trip there in April to meet up with friends at Alta Lodge. We have a grand time regardless of the snow conditions. I stay long enough that I've always had a powder day.

From Calgary, you might consider a few places that are closer. Bridger Bowl in Bozeman is great fun for groomers. Being a non-profit that mainly serves the local market, lift tickets are reasonable. All types of lodging is 20 min away in Bozeman.

What do you know about Whitefish? Paging @sibhusky for info.

The mountains I'd be curious about are on the Indy Pass. There are a few in Montana and Idaho. Even without Indy, the ticket prices are low compared to destination resorts like Big Sky or Grand Targhee.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all this info! Yes, not factoring in road conditions. We’re planning on taking 2 days to drive each way. I’ll definitely look into Bridger Bowl!

we love whitefish! heading there next week for a short trip. We’ve never skied anywhere else in MT though. It’s tough for us to get 6 days off work to ourselves with no kids, which is why we’re thinking of going so far for this trip.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It’s tough for us to get 6 days off work to ourselves with no kids, which is why we’re thinking of going so far for this trip.
If the weather for driving cooperates, would be a fun adventure trip.

Keep in mind that if the canyon road to Alta is dealing with heavy snow, getting there could be an issue. Not only difficult driving, but a long line of cars going up and going down. Parking reservations are required so should get for details on the Alta website.

Alta is great fun when there isn't a powder frenzy for people who like groomers. There is a reason that the Wild Old Bunch hang out at Alta all season long. The average age is probably around 75 and quite a few ski every weekday morning. The oldest stick to green or blue groomers, while the "younger" folks enjoy powder off-piste.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
It sounds like we would have a great time then, as long as roads co operate!

I think my husband was looking into staying at the Marriott in Cottonwood and doing the ski bus - good or bad idea? Looks like we’re completely priced out of any on hill lodging left available.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It sounds like we would have a great time then, as long as roads co operate!

I think my husband was looking into staying at the Marriott in Cottonwood and doing the ski bus - good or bad idea? Looks like we’re completely priced out of any on hill lodging left available.
The ski bus should work midweek. I know some of the Wild Old Bunch who stay near the base of LCC take the bus when there is snow on the road. However, UTA really cut back on the bus schedule in recent years. I think there is an alternative public transport option that's essentially a door-to-door shuttle for a set price.

Alta is not really a "resort" in the sense of having one company that owns the lifts, food service, retail shop(s), and lodging. The lodges at the end of the canyon in the town of Alta are all private. There are relatively few beds, so that's why the prices are so high. Plus meals are included since there are no restaurants for dinner or breakfast. Alta Lift Co. owns and operates the lifts, Alta Ski Shop, and leases on-mountain buildings that have food service during the day.

If you want a nice sit down lunch when skiing Alta, check out Alta Lodge or the Rustler. The lunches at Alta Lodge are not more expensive than on mountain. They understand that the idea is to eat and get back on the slopes. Lunches at Rustler are bigger and take a little longer. Both dining rooms have nice views.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
From Calgary, you might consider a few places that are closer. Bridger Bowl in Bozeman is great fun for groomers. Being a non-profit that mainly serves the local market, lift tickets are reasonable. All types of lodging is 20 min away in Bozeman.
Here’s a second vote for stopping at Bozeman/Bridger Bowl on the way. Bridger is old style ski area and lift tix are inexpensive esp bought on line the day before. Very scenic groomers and lift accessible bowls.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Skiing2BFreeInYYC there are no more buses from Cottonwood to LCC. From canada you have snow tires so you can go up the canyon. For the weekend you can try getting reservations on Sunday at 3p. You can park at Sandy historic the start of bus to Alta.
Reports from Montana skiers all confirm snow conditions in MT is not good.
Lmk is u want to meet up at Alta. I am a weekend warrior ⛷️⛷️. I can probably give you a ride up.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you so much!

So, we ended up booking flights and renting a truck with snow tires. So much for the road trip down haha. We plan on being there Sunday-Thursday and will ski Mon-Tues-Wed, maybe take a break day.

now to get ski rentals! We will bring our boots and look to do some high performance rentals

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Great mountain, lots of fun. Funny story, first time I ever skied there, it snowed all week both in Little Cottonwood Canyon and in Salt Lake City. Like record snow. I was taking the ski bus and got stranded up at the ski resort due to snow slides. A nice person I had met had a lodge room and allowed me to stay there overnight. I'm sure it will be fine, but it can happen.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
heading there next week for a short trip.

Reports from Montana skiers all confirm snow conditions in MT is not good.
You've timed it well. We got significantly more snow this past week. And the forecast shows more on the way. Supposedly our season to date snow is the highest in Montana, but hell that's marketing talking. The underlying condition is rock hard moguls but now there's about a foot of packed powder covering it well. Listening on the chair lift above Hidden Meadows (never groomed) you hear very occasional scraping as someone hits ice, but really not bad. Should be even better next week.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much!

So, we ended up booking flights and renting a truck with snow tires. So much for the road trip down haha. We plan on being there Sunday-Thursday and will ski Mon-Tues-Wed, maybe take a break day.

now to get ski rentals! We will bring our boots and look to do some high performance rentals
Wishing you a great trip! If you’re able share a couple photos please do!

marzNC

Angel Diva
there are no more buses from Cottonwood to LCC.
I found this bus schedule for getting to Snowbird/Alta on UTA 994. Fewer spots in general. Doesn't go to Albion any more though. That means there is no public locker room that's easily accessible since those are at the Albion base. There are pay lockers on the ground floor of Goldminer's, or at least there were last season.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 7.34.47 PM.png

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There used to be bus 953 going from hwy 215 to LCC.
994 on the weekend is usually full at start so it doesn't stop. Alta resort has a little shuttle from Collins to Albion cuz ski school is there.
Town of Alta is thinking about voting against the gondola. To try to push UTA to reinstate bus service.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I would look into the shuttles. You get to reserve yourself a seat and it picks up from cottonwood. I haven’t tried it myself but I hear good things. The bus is a mess, lots of waiting and usually standing room only.

but Alta is a dream! You’ll have an amazing time.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
We typically ski on weekdays to avoid the crowds at Alta, so if it's not a big powder day where they close the canyon the night before for avalanche control and you are driving a capable vehicle (4x4 with winter tires), you'll be fine.

Collins grill is a fun restaurant in the middle of a blue run, you get to take off your boots, put on slippers they provide and have a 3 course lunch. Not sure how much skiing you'll do after such a big lunch though haha. Reservations recommended.

If you must ski a weekend, you can show up 1pm or after and there is no need to pay for parking reservations at Alta but you'll likely pay the price of waiting for snowbird to empty out before Alta crowd gets going. This sunday we couldn't resist the storm day and paid the price of sitting in the car from 5-7pm to wait for the crowd to clear out (the line started *in* albion base parking lot). Prepare snacks. Oh and afternoon tickets are discounted for Alta.

You can take a paid shuttle to any LCC / BCC resort for 20 bucks RT

We came to visit Alta.... and then basically never left. Enjoy :smile:

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
We typically ski on weekdays to avoid the crowds at Alta, so if it's not a big powder day where they close the canyon the night before for avalanche control and you are driving a capable vehicle (4x4 with winter tires), you'll be fine.

Collins grill is a fun restaurant in the middle of a blue run, you get to take off your boots, put on slippers they provide and have a 3 course lunch. Not sure how much skiing you'll do after such a big lunch though haha. Reservations recommended.

If you must ski a weekend, you can show up 1pm or after and there is no need to pay for parking reservations at Alta but you'll likely pay the price of waiting for snowbird to empty out before Alta crowd gets going. This sunday we couldn't resist the storm day and paid the price of sitting in the car from 5-7pm to wait for the crowd to clear out (the line started *in* albion base parking lot). Prepare snacks. Oh and afternoon tickets are discounted for Alta.

You can take a paid shuttle to any LCC / BCC resort for 20 bucks RT

We came to visit Alta.... and then basically never left. Enjoy :smile:
thanks for these great tips! We are planning on skiing Monday-Thursday with one break day in there depending on weather.

Now my dilemma is trying to figure out if I want to rent skis on or off hill.

It seems easier to just pickup on town on Sunday since we arrive early and then don’t have to deal with it in the morning before we ski….but if we do that then we can’t do a demo and change our skis. I would like to stick with the Blizzard Sheeva line as the 9 is what I ski at home and know, but seems only one on hill shop has them. I do like the Santa Ana line too though. I’m not very exposed to more powder oriented skis, I usually ride my Icelantic maiden 101s on fresh days at our home hill (Lake Louise).

Very tough life decisions haha :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga