• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tecnica Mach1 115

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone tried both the Tecnica Scout zero G and the Mach1 and can comment on fit similarities? It's finally time for me to get a dedicated resort boot and I love how my Tecnica zero Gs fit, they ski pretty well too but have their limits. I ski Atomic hawx Ultra 115 boots inbounds currently but find them too soft (much softer than the Zero G despite the same stated flex) and not as locked into the heel as they could be. I have super skinny ankles and narrow heels, but wider at the toes. My Zero Gs are punched a little at the baby toe. I'm an aggressive skier with a racing background, but I live in BC so conditions are mostly powder, soft bumps, chop, or firm bumps - groomers are a joy I rarely have. I'm also looking at the Lange Shadow 115.

Local shops have very limited selection and only carry womens boots in <100 flex, and there isn't a really good fitter within 3 hours anymore.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! I own both and can try to help! I have the 2019-2021 version of the Zero G Scout (the navy & aqua colorway) and the 2019 Mach1 LV 105 (originally had the Pro / 120 flex, but worked with my fitter to swap it out. Same fit for both).

The Mach1 has a narrower heel & instep, but fits a little longer. The Mach1 fit right out of the box, but the Zero G had me in tears for the first 4-5 tours til the liners pack out. And even now, if I "skin ski" in touring mode, keeping my weight in my heels causes some pain & sometimes bruising. To me, the toebox definitely feels wider in the Mach1 as well. Overall much less toe squish. And even the 105 feels much stiffer than the Scout (the extra cuff height really helps with power transfer & perceived flex for me).

I have a few friends that also tour in the ZeroG. One's also in a Mach1. Another ended up in the Hawx Ultra since that length difference made her feel in-between sizes on the Mach, and a third landed in the pre-Shadow Lange RX LV. I tried a 2018 Lange RX LV, and while the shell fit was really nice, the buckle placement really squished my lateral dorsal cutaneous nerve.

I think both the Shadow and Mach1 could deliver on what you're looking for. Molds are the same as their softer counterparts if one of the local shop has an 85 or 95 in their assortment (different liners will change the feel to some extent). But ordering both from a shop with returns will probably produce a winner. Oh - and Atomic ran their Hawx Ultra XTD 130 down to a 22.5 in the last year or two (only to 24.5 this year) if you want to hunt down a stiffer version of the exact same shell.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! I own both and can try to help! I have the 2019-2021 version of the Zero G Scout (the navy & aqua colorway) and the 2019 Mach1 LV 105 (originally had the Pro / 120 flex, but worked with my fitter to swap it out. Same fit for both).

The Mach1 has a narrower heel & instep, but fits a little longer. The Mach1 fit right out of the box, but the Zero G had me in tears for the first 4-5 tours til the liners pack out. And even now, if I "skin ski" in touring mode, keeping my weight in my heels causes some pain & sometimes bruising. To me, the toebox definitely feels wider in the Mach1 as well. Overall much less toe squish. And even the 105 feels much stiffer than the Scout (the extra cuff height really helps with power transfer & perceived flex for me).

I have a few friends that also tour in the ZeroG. One's also in a Mach1. Another ended up in the Hawx Ultra since that length difference made her feel in-between sizes on the Mach, and a third landed in the pre-Shadow Lange RX LV. I tried a 2018 Lange RX LV, and while the shell fit was really nice, the buckle placement really squished my lateral dorsal cutaneous nerve.

I think both the Shadow and Mach1 could deliver on what you're looking for. Molds are the same as their softer counterparts if one of the local shop has an 85 or 95 in their assortment (different liners will change the feel to some extent). But ordering both from a shop with returns will probably produce a winner. Oh - and Atomic ran their Hawx Ultra XTD 130 down to a 22.5 in the last year or two (only to 24.5 this year) if you want to hunt down a stiffer version of the exact same shell.
This is so helpful!! Thank you! I was thinking of ordering the MV models but now I think the LV is probably more similar to the Zero G, or maybe MV and down a size as my instep is average. I find the length of the Zero G to be perfect for touring, even very long tours, so have some space to go shorter in a resort boot. In the Lange I suspect the MV might be better as I think the LV might be too narrow. As long as I have a good fit through heel/ankle/midfoot I actually like a wider toe as I don't find any increase in performance from squishing my toes, only misery. I feel the same about climbing shoes despite what the consensus says haha.

The cuff on my Zero G feels much higher than my Atomic (unsure if this is reality or perception) which is another reason I prefer the Zero G. But men's boots usually pinch my calves. My taller sister loves her Hawx 130 though.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I switched to the Mach1 105 MV last year. I was previously on a Salomon X-Pro 90 that was about 5 years old. I moved over the ZipFit liners to the new boots. I find heel of the Salomon is narrower. I need to have more cork put into the heels of the ZipFit as I now have a little bit of play in that area.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone tried both the Tecnica Scout zero G and the Mach1 and can comment on fit similarities? It's finally time for me to get a dedicated resort boot and I love how my Tecnica zero Gs fit, they ski pretty well too but have their limits. I ski Atomic hawx Ultra 115 boots inbounds currently but find them too soft (much softer than the Zero G despite the same stated flex) and not as locked into the heel as they could be. I have super skinny ankles and narrow heels, but wider at the toes. My Zero Gs are punched a little at the baby toe. I'm an aggressive skier with a racing background, but I live in BC so conditions are mostly powder, soft bumps, chop, or firm bumps - groomers are a joy I rarely have. I'm also looking at the Lange Shadow 115.

Local shops have very limited selection and only carry womens boots in <100 flex, and there isn't a really good fitter within 3 hours anymore.
I have the Scout Zero G and the Mach1 LV and find they both fit me well (didn't need work on either) but did put better insoles in both. I'm the same size in both. I have narrow heels, moderate to low arches and wider in the toe.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Scout Zero G and the Mach1 LV and find they both fit me well (didn't need work on either) but did put better insoles in both. I'm the same size in both. I have narrow heels, moderate to low arches and wider in the toe.
Thank you that's super helpful! Foot twin I guess. I didn't need to punch the baby toe out on mine until after foot surgery. But toebox punching is whatever really, the heel and ankle is critical.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you that's super helpful! Foot twin I guess. I didn't need to punch the baby toe out on mine until after foot surgery. But toebox punching is whatever really, the heel and ankle is critical.
Also oops I have the 105 Mach1, not 115.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
@SnowHot says that the Tecnica Mach1 105 flex are actually 115 but marketing advised them that women are less inclined to buy a 115 than 105, so they label it 105! I guess they don't know Divas!

beane

Certified Ski Diva
How do you find they compare in stiffness? Zero G scout is stated at 115 but I find it much stiffer than my Atomics which are also supposed to be 115.
I find the touring boots much more flexible. I suspect b/c they're made of such lighter/thinner material they just can't be as stiff as a true downhill/alpine boot.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
I find the touring boots much more flexible. I suspect b/c they're made of such lighter/thinner material they just can't be as stiff as a true downhill/alpine boot.
So the Mach1 115 is actually like 125? I guess it depends which zero G you have, the scout 115 or the 105.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
Would be curious what @Analisa thinks but my understanding is that you can't compare across brands and as such the ratings aren't standardized in any way. My boots prior to the Tecnica 105 were Salomon 120 and the Mach1 105s are def stiffer.

So choosing a stiffness you'd decide based on comparison to others in that brand's lineup, e.g. 105 is stiffer than average but not as stiff as you could go.

I have these: https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2022-2023-tecnica-zero-g-tour-scout-w
which are supposedly 115.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@beane Yep, flex ratings on boots are kinda like greens-blues-blacks at resorts. They're mainly rated in comparison to each other, there's no standard, and a blue at one resort could be a green at another.

We can test the flex of one plastic against another, but that still doesn't tell the full story. Liners and a velcro vs. ratchet style power strap influece perceived stiffness. Cuff height and forward lean angle do too. More "freeride" boot flexes (like the Atomic Hawx line) are very progressive. The "top" of the flex is fairly soft so you can give input to the boot easily when you're in soft powder and can't easily get leverage. But the deeper you flex the boot, it becomes dramatically stiffer. The Mach1's the opposite. Up until 1-2 seasons ago, Tecnica called it a "piste" boot. There's still a progressive ramp, but it goes from stiff to a little stiffer.

Even within brands, things get inconsistent. I got a 2019 Mach1 Pro LV (115 or 120 flex) and my bootfitter did some cosmetic damage to it on accident. He gave me a new pair of boots to make up for it, a 2020 version of the boot. Couldn't flex the new one. Swapped it out for a 105, and it's still stiffer than the old Pro. Not sure if it's truly the shell or the cuff height. And once you add hybrid & touring boots into the mix, things get even sillier.

silly4snow

Certified Ski Diva
I recently got new boots and ended up with tecnica cochise 105 mv. Even though hybrid boot, they don’t really sacrifice downhill performance. Love the touring mode for walking around when needed. The 105 seemed stiffer than 105 in Salomon pro s or atomic. I wish they were warmer but wanted performance over cushy. The Salomon were so cushy but I was worried they would pack out so much. They do make 115 in Cochise but I was happy with 105.

The Mach 1 fit too tight in the calves for me. The Cochise fit better in calves but still have great heel fit.

The Lange shadow were intriguing but they were really roomy in the heel and boot fitter said this has been a complaint. Tons of heel lift for me in these.

I didn’t try the zero G so can’t comment there.

silly4snow

Certified Ski Diva
I recently got new boots and ended up with technica cochise 105 mv. Even though hybrid boot, they don’t really sacrifice downhill performance. Love the touring mode for walking around when needed. The 105 seemed stiffer than 105 in Salomon pro s or atomic. I wish they were warmer but wanted performance over cushy. The Salomon were so cushy but I was worried they would pack out so much. They do make 115 in Cochise but I was happy with 105. I feel like Cochise is in between zero g and Mach 1?

The Mach 1 fit too tight in the calves for me. The Cochise fit better in calves but still have great heel fit.

The Lange shadow were intriguing but they were really roomy in the heel and boot fitter said this has been a complaint. Tons of heel lift for me in these.

I didn’t try the zero G so can’t comment there.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Who knows? It could be real, figuring once a woman is well into the 100+ no need to “dumb it down” or maybe it is something higher. @SnowHot might know for that particular boot. Is it Mach1 LV 115W?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Who knows? It could be real, figuring once a woman is well into the 100+ no need to “dumb it down” or maybe it is something higher. @SnowHot might know for that particular boot. Is it Mach1 LV 115W?
Oh no, they are not the same flex. I tried on the 105 at the same time as my boots.. it was definitely significantly softer than mine. Which was the primary reason my bootfitter didn’t like it for me.

Yes, it is the Technica Mach 1 LV Pro W.. which is the 115.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SnowHot says that the Tecnica Mach1 105 flex are actually 115 but marketing advised them that women are less inclined to buy a 115 than 105, so they label it 105! I guess they don't know Divas!
Well that explains a lot !! I swear my Redster STi's 110's are softer than my Mach 1 105's even after I had the Mach 1's surgically softened.

araxie

Diva in Training
How do you find they compare in stiffness? Zero G scout is stated at 115 but I find it much stiffer than my Atomics which are also supposed to be 115.
What size boot do you have? I had a pair of the Atomic Hawx 115w but would instantly fold them over while skiing and ditched them pretty quickly. I was able to talk with an Atomic boot engineer and lo and behold, the flex pattern on the boot wasn't designed for smaller than a 24, and I had a 23. Kind of stupid to be honest.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna