• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos ski week 1/14/18 - 1/19/18: Intermediate's Trip Report

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
she would check out a trail and "report" back to me, whether it'd be suitable for me to go or not
I had a ski buddy when I first started skiing who did the same thing. I called him my "scout". His arrogance aside, he was a good scout (except for one royal screw-up). That screw-up was so bad, he actually admitted it was a mistake. A few degrees more and he might've said the S-word ("sorry").

alison wong

Angel Diva
I really like his advice.
Also glad to read his advice because I had gotten the impression that he tended to over-terrain people. But that was likely just others giving him a hard time.

I'm ready to join you at Taos!

Gosh, he would never over terrain you.... Yes, folks like to mess with him. I remembered when I met him at WB the 1st time at Epic Gathering last year, he asked me to ski with him. I flatly told him: "I don't want to ski with you because we belong to different terrains." Anyway, we did end up skiing together on my last day at WB and he took me to an easy blue and gave me few pointers, which were very helpful. He was very patient.

This year, I told him I'd be coming to Taos for the ski week and would like to make few turns with him (not good enough to "qualify" to make a full run with him yet.) I ended up skiing with him 5 out of 6 afternoons this week. Today was my last day and we skied the entire afternoon together. I think of it as, add-on sessions for someone that needs extra help...... :becky:

You are welcome to join me for Taos next year. I want to come back because this place and I "click". I always appeal to places that: 1) foster learning and; 2) people are passionate about what they do.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In the afternoon, I ran into two of the folks in my lesson, they invited me along to ski with them. (Eunice was too tired to ski in the afternoon, so I was skiing by myself). I happily joined them and showed them a blue trail that they’ve never been on. It was a nice wide blue run called Bambi. It was nice because of the sun exposure in the afternoon. Also, Mr. Spankey recommended it’d be a good trail to check out and practice.
My understanding is that making new friends and skiing with them in the afternoons is a clear perk of being of doing a Taos Ski Week. Some people go back for the same week on a regular basis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also glad to read his advice because I had gotten the impression that he tended to over-terrain people. But that was likely just others giving him a hard time.
Let's just say that he enjoys being a guide to people who are up for an adventure. I did an adventure run with him and his wife, and their friend the L3 WB instructor, at Snowbird once. We skied some open terrain first. So they made sure that I was up for the adventure.

He makes any snow look like a groomer. Many Ski Weeks in his past.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This year, I told him I'd be coming to Taos for the ski week and would like to make few turns with him (not good enough to "qualify" to make a full run with him yet.) I ended up skiing with him 5 out of 6 afternoons this week. Today was my last day and we skied the entire afternoon together. I think of it as, add-on sessions for someone that needs extra help...... :becky:

You are welcome to join me for Taos next year. I want to come back because this place and I "click". I always appeal to places that: 1) foster learning and; 2) people are passionate about what they do.
:thumbsup:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Let's just say that he enjoys being a guide to people who are up for an adventure.

Let's also say: He enjoys coaching folks who are eager to learn....

Seriously, he repeatedly said to me many times, I enjoy teaching you and spend so much time with you because you are eager to learn.... On my 1st day, he did a "courtesy" run with me and showed me how to control my speed in turns and told me I need to work on this.

On my 3rd day, I made a comment to him: "I think I am skiing better and faster because I am able to catch up my classmate in front of me..."

He said: "No, that means, you are still unable to control your speed. I told you to practice on your speed control, did you do that?! Have you been practicing it?!:fear:

Me: "Not really , coz I thought I was able to do it pretty good."

He then said: "No, you have not been able to do it well and that's why you are catching up the person in front of you...."

Boy... after his remark, I have been making time and faithfully practicing on speed control for my turns in the morning warm up runs and afternoons everyday since. I fear that I may run into him and he would test me.... :scared:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Day 6 - 1/19/18

People “rave” about the Taos ski week. To be honest, I was very skeptical about this whole thing in the beginning, not convinced 100% and curious to check out what all these hypes were about. Now I just finished 6-day ski week here and I have to say, Taos ski week does deserve the recognition.

This is a very lean year for Taos, lowest amt of snowfall since 1965 and I happened to pick this year to come… But as the saying goes, “blessing in disguise”, with the limited terrain opening, I was able to practice things over and over on the same trails, to a point that I was frazzled initially and by day 6, I was feeling comfortable and had the confidence to conquer them.

1) Remembered I had “issues” wide trails that merge onto narrow catwalks? I still could not turn probably (mental block) but now I can manage these trails with falling leaf, something I learned last year but got plenty opportunities to practice this week.

2) Had some exposure on how to ski bumps

3) Finally got a hang of “edging”

4) Speed control on turns, including large, medium and small radius turns

5) More comfortable on speed

6) skiing backwards with the ability to link few turns

7) Fall leaf!!!

Despite the lack of snow, Taos was able to make snow, and the snow condition was exceptionally good (dry snow). Unlike many ski places I visited, trails become slushy or icy after a warm spell or in the afternoons. I did not experience this at Taos. Condition wise, it remains pretty consentient throughout the day, despite some warm temp days during my stay here.

I was fortunate that I got to meet up with a Taos regular (friend met on Epic Ski) on my first day at Taos. He and his family showed me couple logistics that were really helpful.

Few things worth noting (for first time visitors):

1) Brown bag lunch: Tenderfoot Katie's Café (TKD) and Whistlestop Café (Top of lift 2, next to the slope for ski off) - Both places welcome picnics. I have never seen so many people brown bag lunches at a ski resort. There are plenty of seating areas you could use, including Martini Tree (upstairs in the TKD café) before they open at 3 pm. You can get hot water from the cafeteria. Unfortunately they don't have public microwaves, so they advise you bring food that doesn't need to be heated.

Martini Treebar also has couches where you can rest.

(There maybe more places you can brown bag but these are the 2 places I know).

Photo of TKD, 2nd floor is Martini Treebar
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.09.59 AM.png

Inside view: Martini Treebar (2nd floor) - many people brown bag here, esp. if the main floor TKD is crowded.
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.14.55 AM.png

Another inside view of Martini Treebar, restroom on this floor also. Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.14.37 AM.png

2) Changing / locker room: In the “basement” level of TKD café. 2 ways to access: i) outside or; ii) through TKD café.

Leave your bags underneath the chairs, don’t put them on top of the lockers.

Access to changing/locker room - access through TKD cafe - take stairs down, through a double door to Women’s restroom.
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.15.34 AM.png

Access to changing/locker room - access through outside (2 red-frame doors by the "exit" sign).
Leave your bags underneath the chairs, don’t put them on top of the lockers.
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.15.54 AM.png

3) MCP holder - need to go to ticket office or season passholder office to get one day voucher ($52/day) each day after your 2 or 3 days are used up.

Photo of the place where: 1) you set up MCP pass and; 2) view video taping
Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 12.24.41 AM.png

4) Cold Smoke photos - there is few photographers taking pictures of you skiing in the morning hours. You can check out photos at their shop (next to ski school). One tip I learned, if you think likely you will be getting a photo from them, I would stop by the shop on the 2nd day of your ski day. Reason: 1) You can check out the photos they take from the day prior; 2) they will give you some pointers about what angles / directions make the best photo.

5) Video recording of your skiing - Not every group / level will get video taped. The lower level class may not get taped because they think video taping is not helpful at this point yet. Higher level is beneficial for movement analysis. Also, it’d be good to see it years later to compare how you’ve improved or not….

You will have the option of getting a video link (drop box) or they can mail a DVD to you for free. You can also choose both options, for free.

To show your support for this video taping program, it’d be nice to do a testimony (they will do a video tape of you) so this program can be continued. (I heard there is likelihood this may get cancelled due to funding).

5) Ski week lesson: 10 am - 12 noon. Usually our lessons are 2.5 hours long, starts b/w 9:45 - 10 am and finishes b/w 12:15 - 12:30 pm.

6) Best time of the day to ski - 11 am - 1 pm per my instructor.

7) January is the “slower” month in Taos. They tend to have more “promotions”.

8) March 2nd & 3rd week - This place can be a zoo because of school spring break. If you can, my instructor suggested to avoid going to Taos during these 2 weeks.

Few interesting facts worth noting about ski week (I asked plenty questions to my instructor because I am nosy):

1) No ski off for level 1-4. They evaluate you verbally.

2) Level 5+ will have ski off.

3) On average, largest group of students are level 8.

4) Smallest group of students are level 10.

5) Jean Mayer, technical director of Taos ski week, 95% of time he will be at ski off. Usually he stands above all ski instructors (in mid hill). He calls out a number (i.e. level) as he sees you ski off. The person stands next to him is supervisor of ski school, he then calls out the name of an instructor (i.e. the instructor will be assigned to your level). - (Correction to my previous post that he is usually at top of the hill)

This is the end of my TR for Taos ski trip. Apologize I did not ardrange the content in a very organized manner for you to locate the info./details easily. You will have to fish out the info. / details yourself. Still need to pack and get ready for my travel home tomorrow.

Hope the info is helpful for whomever is contemplating a trip to Taos, or considering to do a ski week there.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
January 2019 sounds like a winner. Maybe @Jenny will be interested in it too.

Meeting up with the Epic couple would be a bonus. I met them at WB, but didn't get to ski with them.
For sure, meeting up with that couple is a bonus when at Taos. But they aren't always there any more. For instance, last season they didn't go at all because they were at WB most of the season.

The DC Ski Club plans a trip to Taos in late Jan on a regular basis.

I think for an intermediate, going in Jan for a Ski Week is a good idea. Means that there will be fewer expert skiers around since they want to wait until the expert terrain is open. I've found that I focus much more on practicing technique at Massanutten than at a big mountain because there isn't any off-piste terrain. There are bumps, and more than enough trails to practice lots of fundamentals. At a big mountain, the temptation is always there to go play more so the end result is less practice.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Day 6 - 1/19/18

People “rave” about the Taos ski week. To be honest, I was very skeptical about this whole thing in the beginning, not convinced 100% and curious to check out what all these hypes were about. Now I just finished 6-day ski week here and I have to say, Taos ski week does deserve the recognition.

5) Jean Mayer, technical director of Taos ski week, 95% of time he will be at ski off. Usually he stands above all ski instructors (in mid hill). He calls out a number (i.e. level) as he sees you ski off. The person stands next to him is supervisor of ski school, he then calls out the name of an instructor (i.e. the instructor will be assigned to your level). - (Correction to my previous post that he is usually at top of the hill)

This is the end of my TR for Taos ski trip. Apologize I did not ardrange the content in a very organized manner for you to locate the info./details easily. You will have to fish out the info. / details yourself. Still need to pack and get ready for my travel home tomorrow.

Hope the info is helpful for whomever is contemplating a trip to Taos, or considering to do a ski week there.
Wonderful trip report!

Glad to know the details of the ski-off since I didn't do a Ski Week last year. Good to know the processing for the MCP has moved.

Have a good trip home. :smile:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I loved reading your report--thanks for taking the time to write it up and including so many details!
Where are we are going next?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Wonderful report @alison wong. I recall it was so great meeting and skiing with you (and am I correct in recalling that Eunice was there too) at Tremblant last year (or the year before?). I love it that you love to learn. Keep having fun. And as someone else asked, where to next?

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great reporting @alison wong !

This Saturday I'm headed to Taos ski week for the 3rd year in a row. Even with the limited available terrain I know I'll get a lot out of it. Your reports confirm this. I think very highly of the quality of the school and the professionalism of the instructors. They don't stick strictly to PSIA teaching if they think a different method will help a student. I'm not bashing PSIA at all - I just appreciate being exposed to a different approach if something just isn't making sense or isn't working for me. We all have our peculiarities :ski:

I'm glad you ended up getting paired w/John Sankey. He teaches all levels and is a patient and insightful instructor (that quirky sense of humor comes in handy too). Plus, he keeps things moving - not a lot of standing around lecturing or overloading your head with 10 different things to think about. Its all about skiing.

I usually do trip reports for my "Gold Clinic" buddies at my local hill. Maybe I'll include them here too since so many folks, including me, found your reports interesting and useful.

Thanx!!

alison wong

Angel Diva
For sure, meeting up with that couple is a bonus when at Taos. But they aren't always there any more. For instance, last season they didn't go at all because they were at WB most of the season.

True. Last season they did not go to Taos because they spent entire season at WB. The season before last, they were at Taos for 5 weeks. Not sure where they will be next season.
But I am pretty certain that I will be back to Taos next Jan. Hope @vickie and @Jenny can join me. Eunice, my ski friend, may also be coming along.

Where are we are going next?

I will be going to: George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA. Innovation Hall Room 133. Will be there until end of April Class starts this week. :cry:

Actually I have 2 more trips planned:
1) Plan to do another mini ski safari in Western PA for President's Day Long weekend: Blue Knob + Laurel Hill + Flight 93 National Memorial Site. But I just learned the university does not have that day off, this trip may not happen depends on my course load.
My ski friend, Eunice, and her husband visited the Flight 93 memorial site last season. The location is quite close to Laurel Hill. I am more interested to visit that place actually, I heard it is very peaceful there.

2) March 12-16: Sunlight Mountain in Glenwood Springs for warm up then Aspen/Snowmass. This will be my school spring break. It will be a solo trip.

Looking forward to your Steamboat TR. You are going again this season, yes?

Wonderful report @alison wong. I recall it was so great meeting and skiing with you (and am I correct in recalling that Eunice was there too) at Tremblant last year (or the year before?). I love it that you love to learn. Keep having fun. And as someone else asked, where to next?

Good memory! Yes, Eunice and her husband + me, we 3 Asians visited Tremblant last year (Jan 2017). We skied with you and your 2 friends on our first day there. In Fact, during our Taos trip, Eunice was talking about how much she enjoyed Tremblant.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I woul love to do a ski week sometime, as long as I can figure out something to keep DH amused while I’m learning . . . He doesn't mind skiing alone, but I would feel kind of guilty about it anyway. Although, maybe I could convince him that it would make me so much better that he wouldn't need to wait for me ever. He'd like that, although my reasons are likely more psychological than one week of ski school can tackle!

alison wong

Angel Diva
This Saturday I'm headed to Taos ski week for the 3rd year in a row. Even with the limited available terrain I know I'll get a lot out of it. Your reports confirm this. I think very highly of the quality of the school and the professionalism of the instructors. They don't stick strictly to PSIA teaching if they think a different method will help a student. I'm not bashing PSIA at all - I just appreciate being exposed to a different approach if something just isn't making sense or isn't working for me. We all have our peculiarities :ski:

I'm glad you ended up getting paired w/John Sankey. He teaches all levels and is a patient and insightful instructor (that quirky sense of humor comes in handy too). Plus, he keeps things moving - not a lot of standing around lecturing or overloading your head with 10 different things to think about. Its all about skiing.

I usually do trip reports for my "Gold Clinic" buddies at my local hill. Maybe I'll include them here too since so many folks, including me, found your reports interesting and useful.

Thanx!!

Thank you! Glad my TR is useful. Happy to share the info. and good to know another Taos believer.

I believe Taos Ski Valley got 14 inch in the last 48 hours (?). By the time you get there, there will be more terrains open for sure. This is good news for TSV, they needed it. On my last day, I heard they were having a meeting to find solutions to stop the bleeding. Because they are really hurting this year.

If you run into John, please say hi to him for me. He was telling us all his crazy stunts on the last day of class......

Let us know what instructor you got. During my week there, I got to know few instructors (through my Epic ski friend).... They all seem genuine and experienced instructors.

Have I met you in person? I noticed your location in DC metro.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna