• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos Ski Valley has New Snow

Eviesnowcat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How snow-sure?

DH and I have always hankered after a ski trip to New Mexico and we are thinking that this could be our year to give it a try. Just wondering how snow-sure it is though since it is so far south? We come from the south of England so our ski weeks are very precious to us (any skiing involves an aeroplane). We usually try to get 2 weeks skiing in January and 2 weeks in March and are hoping to join the Divas in CO in March so we are just beginning to think about booking up somewhere for just after Xmas. Would love to try New Mexico but we are wondering:
- what are the chances that we will get good skiing conditions in early Jan?
- how easy is it to drive between the resorts?
- where should we use as our base?

Hope one of the local divas can help us with some advice?:confused:

Taos Blonde

Certified Ski Diva
DH and I have always hankered after a ski trip to New Mexico and we are thinking that this could be our year to give it a try. Just wondering how snow-sure it is though since it is so far south? We come from the south of England so our ski weeks are very precious to us (any skiing involves an aeroplane). We usually try to get 2 weeks skiing in January and 2 weeks in March and are hoping to join the Divas in CO in March so we are just beginning to think about booking up somewhere for just after Xmas. Would love to try New Mexico but we are wondering:
- what are the chances that we will get good skiing conditions in early Jan?
- how easy is it to drive between the resorts?
- where should we use as our base?

Hope one of the local divas can help us with some advice?:confused:

I have to be honest with you: the snow can be very hit or miss in New Mexico. I'm partial, but the best skiing is at the Taos Ski Valley. There are other resorts that you might wan to try, like Angel Fire, Santa Fe, Sandia or Sipapu, but they are nothing like Taos. Taos is a challenging mountain, with off piste opportunities. When it snows, the powder is heavenly. It's more laid back than Vail and Aspen. It's fairly easy to drive between resorts (unless there is a big snowstorm), but you will not, for the most part, be on our Interstate Highway system, but traveling instead on state highways through some of the most beautiful and dramatic scenery in the USA.

I would encourage you to use the town of Taos as your base. The ski valley has some terrific, ski in-ski out options like the Saint Bernard, but the town of Taos has come wonderful options and there are some excellent restaurants in town as well. You can drive to the other resorts as well.

You might want to plan a day of sightseeing in Santa Fe as well. It has a wonderful gallery, restaurant and shopping scene. Serious skiers in Santa Fe, Albuquerque and other "nearby" areas tend to prefer to ski Taos instead of their local areas.

By car, Colorado Springs is three hours from Taos and Denver is six hours.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can be of any further help.

Check out www.skitaos.org. For more info re Taos, see taossacredplaces.com.

Taos Blonde

Certified Ski Diva
Wow! Thanks for such a quick and helpful reply!

Evie, one more thing--I monitor the snowfall at Taos Ski Valley. If you have a mac, there's a Dashboard app for ski conditions. If you have a smartphone, there are several apps that monitor snow conditions. I haven't really heard anything about snowfall predictions yet, but I can tell you that the weather is definitely getting chillier and winter is on its way. Finally, last year we pretty much had some of the best snow in the Rockies (some might disagree, but we had a great snowfall year!). Wish I could predict this year's snowfall!

Taos Blonde

Certified Ski Diva
Evie, one more thing--I monitor the snowfall at Taos Ski Valley. If you have a mac, there's a Dashboard app for ski conditions. If you have a smartphone, there are several apps that monitor snow conditions. I haven't really heard anything about snowfall predictions yet, but I can tell you that the weather is definitely getting chillier and winter is on its way. Finally, last year we pretty much had some of the best snow in the Rockies (some might disagree, but we had a great snowfall year!). Wish I could predict this year's snowfall!

Evie, sorry to be so scattered today! The best snow is usually in February and even March. March is great because it's usually sunny and that sun feels warm.

Taos is on my US ski bucket list, along with Whistler, Jackson, and Tahoe. I visited Santa Fe in May 2003 (before I started skiing) and loved the area. I know I would love Taos (both community and mountain).

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Taos. I like it cause it is steep with good bump runs and there are some big dramatic storms. The scenery is beautiful and the skiing relatively cheap. I can find a pretty nice house to rent for a reasonable place and there are fun places to visit and things to do besides skiing. I also don't really like huge places because I feel overwhelmed and I like to be familiar with a place. It is also fun because the people/staff are so hospitable. They really want the guest to have a good experience. So I'd recommend it to anyone for any conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna