• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tahoe 16/17

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks @DRG for the awesome post and photos! Alpine is looking good.

Reactions: DRG

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm leaving Monday and staying until Friday or Saturday. Yes they did just get 5 feet, but now a huge heavy wet storm is expected . They're talking many feet of snow (heard 6 to 13 but that could be an exaggeration . But on Sunday - heavy heavy RAIN to 10,000 ft. Then weather underground and Open Snow are showing 1 -3 ft of snow the following days. We were going to go up Saturday or Sunday but are now waiting until Monday. Think @ski_hat is in Tahoe now...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you guys too busy skiing to tell us how awesome things are? I hear Tahoe is killing it. You should show us just how much it's killing it, with photos.

Yes. No time to take photos!

It's been interesting up there. Let me see what I can remember. 1/1 and 1/2 were storm days - snow was super light! Squaw had difficulty opening lifts on the 2nd and also closed some lifts on 1/1 due to the storm. 1/3 was a great powder day - I spent it at Sugar Bowl. Snow warmed up in the afternoon and got wetter and wetter. 1/4 lots of accumulation but it was heavy wet snow. Sugar Bowl was closed, and to the extent that Squaw or Alpine were open, it was extremely limited. Northstar open, but I'm not sure to what extent. Friends skied who skied on 1/5 reported delayed openings -- I drove back down. A bomb-triggered slide ripped a substantial slide at Squaw. 1/6 - KT at Squaw finally opened! Reports from friends is that things were skiing really well.

More snow early tomorrow, but snow levels are rising to 9000. We're all a little anxious about flooding....

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was here all last weekend, but only skied Sunday/Monday because of blackouts. Was awesome in the trees at Heavenly--super light and fluffy and cold. Unfortunately Sky Chair was closed so we got stuck on California side both days. On Monday we hiked up from the top of Canyon to Ellie's Swing, traversed across as far as we could, then more hiking up Cal Trail, all to get first tracks in Maggie's Canyon. It was amazing and totally worth it, despite the hiking and about 1 hour loop all together. Even had time for a quick run though Powder Bowl Woods, the first time I had ever done those glades.

We came up last night so we could ski Kirkwood today. I thought it was kind of a disappointment because 1/2 the mountain was pounded from yesterday and the other half that opened for the first time today had a pretty bad crust on it, making it hard to turn. SO had a better time but he's a board so I think he wasn't getting railroaded as much. There was a huge line up for the backside to open and when they finally dropped the ropes I essentially participated in my first Chinese downhill! Saw three people wipe out. Got yelled at by a snowboarder for taking turns. Put me in kind of a sour mood, but then got a fist bump from the liftie for being the first female on a chair :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes. No time to take photos!

It's been interesting up there. Let me see what I can remember. 1/1 and 1/2 were storm days - snow was super light! Squaw had difficulty opening lifts on the 2nd and also closed some lifts on 1/1 due to the storm. 1/3 was a great powder day - I spent it at Sugar Bowl. Snow warmed up in the afternoon and got wetter and wetter. 1/4 lots of accumulation but it was heavy wet snow. Sugar Bowl was closed, and to the extent that Squaw or Alpine were open, it was extremely limited. Northstar open, but I'm not sure to what extent. Friends skied who skied on 1/5 reported delayed openings -- I drove back down. A bomb-triggered slide ripped a substantial slide at Squaw. 1/6 - KT at Squaw finally opened! Reports from friends is that things were skiing really well.

More snow early tomorrow, but snow levels are rising to 9000. We're all a little anxious about flooding....
Yeah, I heard even higher. We're waiting until Monday to go up to Nstar.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Was here all last weekend, but only skied Sunday/Monday because of blackouts. Was awesome in the trees at Heavenly--super light and fluffy and cold. Unfortunately Sky Chair was closed so we got stuck on California side both days. On Monday we hiked up from the top of Canyon to Ellie's Swing, traversed across as far as we could, then more hiking up Cal Trail, all to get first tracks in Maggie's Canyon. It was amazing and totally worth it, despite the hiking and about 1 hour loop all together. Even had time for a quick run though Powder Bowl Woods, the first time I had ever done those glades.

We came up last night so we could ski Kirkwood today. I thought it was kind of a disappointment because 1/2 the mountain was pounded from yesterday and the other half that opened for the first time today had a pretty bad crust on it, making it hard to turn. SO had a better time but he's a board so I think he wasn't getting railroaded as much. There was a huge line up for the backside to open and when they finally dropped the ropes I essentially participated in my first Chinese downhill! Saw three people wipe out. Got yelled at by a snowboarder for taking turns. Put me in kind of a sour mood, but then got a fist bump from the liftie for being the first female on a chair :smile:
yeah powder bowl woods is really fun and it's not steep. Don't know why they rate it black.. Probably b/c it takes some skill to get through it all.
Was East Bowl or West Bowl open (adjacent to Gunbarrel)... Also, @DeweySki you would love hogback. It's similar in steepness to Gunbarrel but w/o VW sized bumps. But it is tricky... in a very fun kind of way. Hope we can meet up and ski there sometime. But aren't you doing Red mt cats and Jackson Hole camp? You'll leave me in the dust even tho I've been skiing decades! I'm just older now!

Reactions: DRG

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm trying to figure out dates for a trip up to Tahoe/Reno. Looks like mid-March is the best bet.
Hope we can possibly meet up... I'll be back from Euro ski trip on March 13 ...

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I were scheduled to be in South Lake Tahoe from Tuesday 1/3 to today, 1/6. We knew the storm was going to start Tuesday evening, so we left as early as we could, with a planned stop in Reno. Unfortunately, while in Reno, one of our dogs needed to run to the emergency vet (she's better now, but we're glad we were able to see a vet on such short notice!). That was a three-hour delay out of our trip, and by the time we left Reno, it was dark and very, very windy. We made it to Carson City before deciding it'd be better to find a place for the night before carrying on to SLT.

We finally made it to SLT on Wednesday afternoon, just as the storm was raging on, only to find our Airbnb was totally covered in snow! So we spent the better part of the day digging out a parking spot, digging out the stairs, etc.

Finally - FINALLY - we made it to Heavenly on Thursday afternoon, due to the Nevada side losing power and opening at 1pm (we were in walking distance of the Boulder lift, so that's where we went!) Only got a few turns in, and visibility wasn't too great, but there was hardly anyone there and we had a blast playing in the chop, crud, and powder :-D

Unfortunately we had to leave today, though today was GORGEOUS. Blue bird conditions, with virtually everything open at Heavenly. Wish we could have stayed, but another storm is starting tomorrow with everyone worrying about flooding...

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yeah powder bowl woods is really fun and it's not steep. Don't know why they rate it black.. Probably b/c it takes some skill to get through it all.
Was East Bowl or West Bowl open (adjacent to Gunbarrel)... Also, @DeweySki you would love hogback. It's similar in steepness to Gunbarrel but w/o VW sized bumps. But it is tricky... in a very fun kind of way. Hope we can meet up and ski there sometime. But aren't you doing Red mt cats and Jackson Hole camp? You'll leave me in the dust even tho I've been skiing decades! I'm just older now!
No east bowl or west bowl open yet, and I've still never skied Gunbarrel. THIS WILL BE THE YEAR haha.

Trip to Jackson starts on Friday and then Big Red Cats trip is not till the end of February, with trip to Banff during president's day. When are you doing your week at Stardust?

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately we had to leave today, though today was GORGEOUS. Blue bird conditions, with virtually everything open at Heavenly. Wish we could have stayed, but another storm is starting tomorrow with everyone worrying about flooding...

At least you got a few runs in! Can't believe we made the wrong decision about going to Kirkwood yesterday instead of Heavenly. Kirkwood almost always has better conditions (at least the three years I've lived in CA), but Heavenly seems to be doing much better this year.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No east bowl or west bowl open yet, and I've still never skied Gunbarrel. THIS WILL BE THE YEAR haha.

Trip to Jackson starts on Friday and then Big Red Cats trip is not till the end of February, with trip to Banff during president's day. When are you doing your week at Stardust?
You'll have to report in about your experience at Jackson Camp... Is it a 3 day camp?
My plans so far are:

Monday - Saturday - going to Northstar
Jan 28 - Feb 5 or 6 to Heavenly (staying @ stardust)
Feb 19 - March 13 - Euro trip to Austria and Switzerland
After that - no particular plans.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
At least you got a few runs in! Can't believe we made the wrong decision about going to Kirkwood yesterday instead of Heavenly. Kirkwood almost always has better conditions (at least the three years I've lived in CA), but Heavenly seems to be doing much better this year.
Heard roads were closed going in and out of kirkwood...

merrydog

Angel Diva

West bowl was open today. As for conditions on the California side, it was snow (grapple) on Canyon but rain on Powder Bowl. The surface in the lower elevations are more set because of the high moisture content. Still it made for a fun, though wet, morning.

Dewey when do you leave JH? My friends and I get there on the 21st.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dewey when do you leave JH? My friends and I get there on the 21st.

Oh bummer that is the day we are leaving! Doing the women's camp Mon-Fri and then heading back to Montana to fly out of Bozeman. Hope you have fun in JH! Have you ever been? Are you staying in the village?

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll have to report in about your experience at Jackson Camp... Is it a 3 day camp?
My plans so far are:

Monday - Saturday - going to Northstar
Jan 28 - Feb 5 or 6 to Heavenly (staying @ stardust)
Feb 19 - March 13 - Euro trip to Austria and Switzerland
After that - no particular plans.....
Sweet, I'm almost positive I will be up both of the weekends you are in South Lake. Yay!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hey everyone,

Just looked at both Northstar and Heavenly sites today. Both resorts closed for the day! It's going to be wild up there. Glad we're waiting until tomorrow to go....
@ dewey ski can't wait to hear about your JH camp experience.... hopefully you'll write a TR.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey everyone,

Just looked at both Northstar and Heavenly sites today. Both resorts closed for the day! It's going to be wild up there. Glad we're waiting until tomorrow to go....
@ dewey ski can't wait to hear about your JH camp experience.... hopefully you'll write a TR.
Thanks for the update! Just woke up. Kirkwood closed too. No skiing for us today!

I didn't go yesterday either cause of the R-word, but my SO went. I guess he is more dedicated than me haha. We already "Worked from home" on Friday so it will be hard to swing tomorrow too. People at work seem to think Wednesday and Thursday are going to be the good day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks for the update! Just woke up. Kirkwood closed too. No skiing for us today!

I didn't go yesterday either cause of the R-word, but my SO went. I guess he is more dedicated than me haha. We already "Worked from home" on Friday so it will be hard to swing tomorrow too. People at work seem to think Wednesday and Thursday are going to be the good day.
It's so unusual for even Northstar to close... when we were up there mid December, Northstar closed one day. I told SO my days of skiing in the rain are over. Check in with me as may not ski Monday (depending on what time we leave SC but maybe ) and think we'll stay and leave on Saturday when holiday weekend folks are coming up.
We can pm when the Heavenly trip (Stardust) gets closer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna