• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

SUV for New England Skiers - Advice!

SkiLu

Diva in Training
Hi Divas, searched forum for helpful ski car reviews and looks like most threads are a little dated, so starting a new one. I'm looking to downsize from an AWD minivan to an SUV that can handle my teenagers but will be fun for me (and dog/gear) when they are gone - with a major prerequisite being good winter handling for New England skiers. I'm shy to admit it, but for various reasons I am considering ICEs and hybrids rather than plug-ins or all electric options. Curious to know what folks think of newer versions of the Volvo XC90, Mazda CX-9 (or CX-90), and the Subaru Ascent. Never owned any of those, though had a series of Outbacks back in the day and various AWD or 4WD Toyotas (which right now are near impossible to get). All thoughts and suggestions welcome! And time is of the essence due.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Won't matter which one you buy get snow tires for traction & the SUV will handle like it's meant to be on ice/snow /slush. Each brand has its cult followers. Subaru has had quite a few recalls in the past few years. Volvo sells mostly to one demographic group (not me). I didn't like AWD on the Mazda (smaller model tho). To figure out how the SUV handles take it out in the worst weather snow or ice or pouring rain or thick mud or take it out on a gravel road or gravel parking lot. Take sharp turns & hit the breaks as hard as you can to see how much the car skids & how it handles afterwards.

Christy

Angel Diva
Since you want a fun car and one that fits your teens I'd just start test driving. I agree that with good tires any of those should be good.

Amie H

Angel Diva
My sister has a Subaru Ascent and drives it up to Maine from the Philly area for skiing every February and loves it. She and her hub have 3 boys aged 12-18.

With teen drivers, I'd also call your insurance agent and ask what the rates are for the vehicles you are considering. I did that once when I was under 25 getting a new car and it was a very helpful consideration for my budget.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We test drove the ascent last year and found the 3rd row very tight. Probably not the best choice if your teen sons will be riding back there. We got a 2023 outback and LOVE it. So far have had no issues (knock on wood!). This was our 4th Outback (5th Subaru) between the 2 of us. We are in a slightly different life stage maybe with a 1 year old though, so we were looking for 100% practical and safe, plus ease of loading boats on top for summer paddling. My 6'4" husband comfortably rides in the back with dd regularly.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I literally just went through this process and bought a CX-9 last week. I was upsizing from a CX-5. I drove an Outback and an Ascent as well. My thoughts/observations:

The Subarus are slow to accelerate. Reviews repeatedly mention this as their biggest downfall. They do have superior cargo capacity over the CX-9. I drove two Outbacks and I felt like I was riding a lazy horse (horse gals will get this.) I wanted to tap it on the butt with a crop to get it going with some energy. The Outback turbo and Ascent have the same engine. The Outback turbo was marginally quicker than the regular Outback.

The CX-9 is a Mazda and drives like a Mazda with superior handling and a good zip out the gate. I think driving in SoCal for so long made me appreciate a vehicle that can go when you need it to. Downside is the cargo space is inferior to the Ascent by quite a bit. The CX-90 bigger. I would have gone that route but we buy used (still ended up with a low-mileage 2023.) Otherwise, I would have chosen the CX-90 all day long.

This is our fifth Mazda. They have been reliable beyond belief for us. My husband commutes in a 2016 Mazda 6 with 130000 miles on it and it has had zero issues. We bought it used, too.

Best thing you can do is to test drive some. I eliminated Hyundai and Kia due to the large number of reported transmission issues. I also eliminated the new Nissan Highlander for the same reason, plus front suspension issues. Subaru and Mazda have far fewer issues reported.

If it's between the Ascent and the CX-90, then it could depend on if you like some pep from your vehicle or not. If you aren't as concerned about overall cargo space, the CX-9 can be found used for good prices right now as they are discontinued.

ETA any AWD should perform fine in snow and ice provided you put snow tires on it. My husband drives his Mazda 6 with snows on it, and it's a FWD. It's all about the tires...

Last edited:

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I literally just went through this process and bought a CX-9 last week. I was upsizing from a CX-5. I drove an Outback and an Ascent as well. My thoughts/observations:

The Subarus are slow to accelerate. Reviews repeatedly mention this as their biggest downfall. They do have superior cargo capacity over the CX-9. I drove two Outbacks and I felt like I was riding a lazy horse (horse gals will get this.) I wanted to tap it on the butt with a crop to get it going with some energy. The Outback turbo and Ascent have the same engine. The Outback turbo was marginally quicker than the regular Outback.

The CX-9 is a Mazda and drives like a Mazda with superior handling and a good zip out the gate. I think driving in SoCal for so long made me appreciate a vehicle that can go when you need it to. Downside is the cargo space is inferior to the Ascent by quite a bit. The CX-90 bigger. I would have gone that route but we buy used (still ended up with a low-mileage 2023.) Otherwise, I would have chosen the CX-90 all day long.

This is our fifth Mazda. They have been reliable beyond belief for us. My husband commutes in a 2016 Mazda 6 with 130000 miles on it and it has had zero issues. We bought it used, too.

Best thing you can do is to test drive some. I eliminated Hyundai and Kia due to the large number of reported transmission issues. I also eliminated the new Nissan Highlander for the same reason, plus front suspension issues. Subaru and Mazda have far fewer issues reported.

If it's between the Ascent and the CX-90, then it could depend on if you like some pep from your vehicle or not. If you aren't as concerned about overall cargo space, the CX-9 can be found used for good prices right now as they are discontinued.

ETA any AWD should perform fine in snow and ice provided you put snow tires on it. My husband drives his Mazda 6 with snows on it, and it's a FWD. It's all about the tires...
If we didn’t need the 5000lb towing capacity we would have 100% gone with the CX-9 over the Subaru Ascent. The 2022 Ascent barely beat out the KIA Telluride mainly due to price at the time (KIA added an additional $10K due to supply/demand). The Ascent is my husband’s daily driver and he previously had a CX-5. We only upgraded because our little guys car seat left me too close to the dash and made me carsick. I have a 2019 Outback and love it in winter conditions. The more recent Outback models have mixed reviews, particularly in regards to acceleration and the move to most controls being on a screen and not tactile.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga