• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sunglasses

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, I'm putting this under ski gear because I know a lot of people use them for skiing although I want mine for running/cycling/general use.

I need new ones. I'm realizing that mine are not doing the job. My eyes still feel stressed and tired after spending time out in the sun, especially if I don't have a hat or visor on. My current pair are Tifosi but I don't think the lenses are polarized so that's probably the problem.

What I need. Something that will work with a hat/visor. I don't think I want interchangeable since the ones I have are but I rarely take the time to change them out. Most of the time I'm in a hurry to meet my training group and the last thing I want to have to mess with are lenses.

And while I'd like to say that I change out my shades for lifestyle and sport to be honest I end up grabbing the same pair so I'd like these to go across.

So, I like the looks of the Zeal Optics Airstream with their ZB-13 lens which they tout as being good for a wide range of lighting conditions. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

I'd like to keep the price closer to $100 but willing to go to $150 if they fit and look right as I've finally gotten to a place in my life where I seem to be able to keep a pair of sunglasses for a couple of years. This seems to knock out Oakley (gosh they think a lot of their sunglasses!). I'm slightly partial to either Zeal or Smith because my run shop carries them and could special order anything from them for me. Not only do I like to patronize them but I do get loyalty money from them so this would be a good chunk toward another $25 credit. :p

Okay, now that I wrote a book, any thoughts or suggestions?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good luck, Robyn. Sunglasses that do the job and fit imperceptibly (i.e., no "ouch" over the ears, esp w/hat) make a huge difference. In my (not altogether vast) experience, your best point of departure is with whatever manufacturer makes the goggles that fit you best. At least that's how it worked out for me. You might have to initially spring for paying retail, but when you've found something that works, you can start the hunt for deals. So if you're a Smith goggle wearer, start there first. And definitely go polarized. Let us know how it works out. Last year, at least, Tramdock/etc ran some great deals on Smiths (worn by DH, so I sprung).

Jilly

Staff member
Well I do love my Oakley's all 3 pairs. But $$, yeah. It's nice to have friends in the business. Maui Jim is my other fav. Again I don't think they are inexpensive either.

For water sports - Smith's with the interchangeable lenses. Which have seen better days. So, I'm looking too. I saw a polarized pair of Smith's at Costco on Friday. $ 49.95 Cdn. They weren't interchangable, which is fine. Just didn't like the look on me.

Happy searching!

altagirl

Staff member
I have several pairs of Zeal glasses and use them for a wide range of riding conditions. Their polarized lenses are great. And Zeal has excellent customer service.

Obviously if you're actually going to be needing them at night or something (night riding or some such thing where you still need glasses to keep the wind out of your eyes) then you're going to want something with either an interchangeable lens or just a separate pair. But for general use, I've been really happy with my Zeals. And I'm with you - I've had interchangeable lens glasses before and almost never swap the lenses so it's not a big selling point for me either.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL - thanks for posting that but those aren't polarized which I've got to have this time.

AG - I don't do much night riding at all because my night vision is so poor but I do have a pair of cheap but functional yellow lens glasses for that if I need to. Thanks for the review on the Zeal, that's what I was hoping for.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had looked at the Zeal Airstreams because I really liked their look. Unfortunately, they didn't look good on me :( too bad, because I could have received the "pro form" discount...
Not quite in your price range, but check out some of the offerings from adidas. I have a pair of Evil Eye Pros that my ex bought for me (in St. Moritz as a Valentine's present) back in 2004 that are still going strong. A pretty decent selection of lens to choose from with them. I love the adjustable nose bridge that it has. As far as prices, I guess adidas thinks as much of themselves as Oakley:wink:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I headed over to my run shop tonight and tried on a bunch of Zeal and Smith options. They had the Airstream in white with the ZB 13 lens but I'm not a white shades kind of person. They had them in shiny wood and black in the regular polarized but at this point it's time to take care of my eyes so I'm going for the ZB13 in the shiny wood and having them special order for me. Fortunately, Zeal is in Boulder so they expect they'll be in either Wednesday or Thursday (apparently the rep will often just drop by special orders on their way home). I was able to walk outside with them on to see what they looked like and it really was amazing how much more relaxed my eyes felt with these on. Not only because of the lens but because the coverage is much better so the ambient light filtering in is so much lower.

Oddly I also tried on the Smith Pivlock V90 sunglasses with violet frame and pink mirror. https://www.smithoptics.com/Pivlock-V90_30_989.html?fl=true These are totally opposite of what I would think I like and I might at some point add them to a collection. This could be another expensive gear addiction!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and AG for the Zeal endorsement.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Oddly I also tried on the Smith Pivlock V90 sunglasses with violet frame and pink mirror. https://www.smithoptics.com/Pivlock-V90_30_989.html?fl=true These are totally opposite of what I would think I like and I might at some point add them to a collection. This could be another expensive gear addiction!

Love Zeal (my two pairs of goggles are Zeal polarized and I LOVE the lenses), but the above are the sunglasses I want for running, although I haven't decided on which frame/lens combo I want.

Where did you try them on? I want to try them in person before I *make* DH buy them for me for my birthday.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, the Zeals came up with some issues (long story) so I bought the Pivlocks. I tried them on (and bought them) at Solepepper in Louisville. They currently have just the purple frame in (since I bought the others) but at least then you could see if the frame fits your face. I love them so far and will be running with them tonight.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn,

Your taste in shades is impeccable (as I am owner of both Zeals and now Smiths). Zeals have served me well for at least five years----for running, skiing, kayaking, grocery store, camping. But my Smith's are my new go-to shades, bumping the Zeals to running, kaying, camping---since these activities are hardest on them, resulting in scratches---and I'm too (busy/lazy) to order pop out replacement lenses.

ENJOY and get both---spares are handy if you're like me and looking for a pair as I run out the door.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga