• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sunday River Demo Day: $27 well spent

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
5’5”, 140, 64yo advanced skier, East coast roots with trips out West. Still learning to carve/bend skis. I don't ski fast. I love bumps and trees.
Considering replacement of 20/21 BP88/159 with tilt toward deeper snow, bumps.
Hoped to try/compare Montero AW, Volkl Blaze 86W/94W, and Secret 96. Been on Blaze 94W/172 and Secret 96/163 before. Loved the Secret 96. But also interesting in trying carvers.
Temps in high 30s, soft snow, no slush, we even got bumps by midday!
Thanks to Divas @MissySki (demo buddy) @elemmac for their fonts of knowledge and general good cheer.
Tried the following, in order:
1. Laser MX, 67/158 required forward stance, paying attention, very similar to Laser SC 149 demos that I own. Rare opportunity to check it out!
2. Montero AW, 80/158 Wonderful in every way. Would’ve tried the 166 if they had it. Top-sheet favorite with coordinating fuschia(!) Strive 11 bindings. Great OSQ.
3. Nordica Steadfast 80, 168 or 174 Recommended by @elemmac. Rep pushed me toward Wild Belle 84. . . I pushed back. Shortest one available. Felt planky. 162 might have been more manageable.
4. Volkl Blaze 82W, 159 Took this because the 86W and 94W in my length were out. Tips not “engaging.” 166 might have been better for my preference for edge engagement.
5. Volkl Kenja 88, 163 (Blaze 86W and 94W still out.) Felt natural and easy. Strange, but felt shorter than my BP88 159. I think want more versatility for powder/bumps.
6. Rossi Forza 50, 75/171 (Blazes still out.) Tried this because why not! Much more maneuverable than Steadfast at similar length.
Verdict: I want a wide narrow ski, 158-low 160s. Peak 88/160? can't demo, and none left anyway. Montero AW is today's winner.
IMG_2994.jpg

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the wide narrow ski concept!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd been hoping for a write-up. You got a fair number of demos in, sounds like a good day on the hill.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Love the wide narrow ski concept!
It's a running theme on SkiTalk, so can't say it's my concept.
There are wide narrows and narrow wides ha ha!
For example I demoed Fischer Ranger 102 ( 100 underfoot for 162) last March in Utah. It believe one would call that a narrow wide ski, not that narrower under foot than the Volkl Secret 96/163. Did not love it despite the gorgeous color and gorgeous day at Snowbasin.

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpg
    IMG_1881.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1885 higher res.jpg
    IMG_1885 higher res.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 7

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I'd been hoping for a write-up. You got a fair number of demos in, sounds like a good day on the hill.
Excellent day, especially for first day of season. Rain the night before and rain in forecast kept down the crowds. Limited terrain suited itself to repeat runs on various skis. Warm temps made all the swapping at the outdoor tents comfortable. My first time doing a demo day vs demoing at a single shop. One question . . . how come all the industry reps are male?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wide narrow ski? Try a Rossi Temptation 86ti if you get the chance. Or the 82 ti which is on the narrower side.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe where you are, not here. Rossi and Salomon have women on their demo fleet teams.
Nordica does too in general, and I’m sure others do.. but I haven’t personally seen them at demo days I frequent in New England. At the demo days here it’s been the same people I recognize for years. Which makes sense, if that is their territory. But would be nice to get some women and new blood mixed in too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There have been a few women at the brand booths at Snowbound Expo the last couple years. Although I haven't really talked to one who was as knowledgeable as some of the men. It can take a bit of friendly effort to get some men to understand that a Ski Diva knows a lot about skis at first, but once they get it then they are happy to continue the conversation.

Fair to say that in the southeast, mid-Atlantic, Catskills, and Berkshires, I've never run across a woman at a demo day in the last decade. Although I haven't demo'd in those regions since 2019.

At the DPS tent at the Alta Demo Day in early April, the last few years most of the people working have been women, both managers and techs.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
5’5”, 140, 64yo advanced skier, East coast roots with trips out West. Still learning to carve/bend skis. I don't ski fast. I love bumps and trees.
Considering replacement of 20/21 BP88/159 with tilt toward deeper snow, bumps.
Hoped to try/compare Montero AW, Volkl Blaze 86W/94W, and Secret 96. Been on Blaze 94W/172 and Secret 96/163 before. Loved the Secret 96. But also interesting in trying carvers.
Temps in high 30s, soft snow, no slush, we even got bumps by midday!
Thanks to Divas @MissySki (demo buddy) @elemmac for their fonts of knowledge and general good cheer.
Tried the following, in order:
1. Laser MX, 67/158 required forward stance, paying attention, very similar to Laser SC 149 demos that I own. Rare opportunity to check it out!
2. Montero AW, 80/158 Wonderful in every way. Would’ve tried the 166 if they had it. Top-sheet favorite with coordinating fuschia(!) Strive 11 bindings. Great OSQ.
3. Nordica Steadfast 80, 168 or 174 Recommended by @elemmac. Rep pushed me toward Wild Belle 84. . . I pushed back. Shortest one available. Felt planky. 162 might have been more manageable.
4. Volkl Blaze 82W, 159 Took this because the 86W and 94W in my length were out. Tips not “engaging.” 166 might have been better for my preference for edge engagement.
5. Volkl Kenja 88, 163 (Blaze 86W and 94W still out.) Felt natural and easy. Strange, but felt shorter than my BP88 159. I think want more versatility for powder/bumps.
6. Rossi Forza 50, 75/171 (Blazes still out.) Tried this because why not! Much more maneuverable than Steadfast at similar length.
Verdict: I want a wide narrow ski, 158-low 160s. Peak 88/160? can't demo, and none left anyway. Montero AW is today's winner.
View attachment 21974
That sounds like a great demo day! Are you at all considering the AW? I demo'd them in March and loved them. I'm hoping to try them out again later this month at another demo day — just for fun. I also demo'd Stöckli Laser SLs and I think that's my favorite ski ever, or so far. I'm on a Laser SC 156cm (I'm your height) for my OSQ and it's working out well so far. My ideal East Coast quiver might be a Laser SL and an AW. That's not happening anytime soon, but I can dream.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
That sounds like a great demo day! Are you at all considering the AW? I demo'd them in March and loved them. I'm hoping to try them out again later this month at another demo day — just for fun. I also demo'd Stöckli Laser SLs and I think that's my favorite ski ever, or so far. I'm on a Laser SC 156cm (I'm your height) for my OSQ and it's working out well so far. My ideal East Coast quiver might be a Laser SL and an AW. That's not happening anytime soon, but I can dream.
I am considering the AWs. Im also considering that that SCs I have at 149 are too short! We’ll see how the season and my trying to carve better plays out!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am considering the AWs. Im also considering that that SCs I have at 149 are too short! We’ll see how the season and my trying to carve better plays out!
Does seem short. That's the length of the skis I use in the east and you're certainly taller than I am.

My Level 3 instructor at Massanutten had SCs when I started taking lessons from him in 2013. That was one reason I was interested in demo'ing them in PA a few years later. He liked the fact that he could tell instantly if his technique was a little bit off.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That does seem very short for you. My SLs are 150, but I'm only 5'1" and 95 lbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga