• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sun Screen while you bike

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:

While some are still skiing, we just had our first patch of 90 degree days here. And, of course, I was caught out mtb'ing on Saturday without sunscreen.

With my biker tan already off to a good start for the year, I am just now finally ordering my De Soto Arm Coolers after first learnng about them 10 months ago. :bag: haha

Best price I could find was here:
https://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=13&item=DSACL

Also now have De soto Cool Wings for those who like to sport tank tops:
https://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=13&item=DSCWS

This site has a useful sizing chart:
https://www.teamestrogen.com/prodDE...n=datafeed_compshopeng&utm_medium=productLink

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh! My Cool Wings were supposed to arrive yesterday and they are still not here! Wanted them for last night's and tomorrow morning's rides.

This must be how the jacket sluts feel waiting for the UPS man. :drool:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Allow me to get up on my soapbox for a minute.

I had a dear friend die from malignant melanoma. He was a very active guy. He was a marathoner, a triathlete and did ride and ties. He was a high school teacher and track coach. His death was not pretty - the cancer totally ravaged his body and in the last days of his life, he became blind and then could not recognize his family. He left behind a wife and three daughters. He was in his 40s.

The one thing that came from his death is that EVERYONE in our circle of friends, even the guys, are now everyday users of sunscreen.

For women, it's not that difficult to do sunscreen on your face daily. Just replace your daily moisturizer with one with at least SPF15. There are many excellent ones out there now, from very lightweight ones to heavier ones for those of us who need extra moisturizing. For a guy, it's a little more of an effort to get them to add a daily moisturizer to their routine - it's still a "girly" thing. But, if you can convince them that their skin is more smooth and sexy to you (it feels so nice to touch a soft skin!!!), they might get into it easier. When you are going to be spending time outdoors, up your sunscreen from your moisturizer to pure sunscreen. All over your face, ears, and exposed body, 30 minutes before you go out!! If you aren't wearing a hat, use some of the spray sunscreens that are now available for your head. Worried about yucky hair - which is worse: bad hair or cancer??? It doesn't matter what your skin type is - you need sunscreen!!

I worked all winter outdoors at my ski resort. On the very sunny days, I used Neutrogena Age Shield 70+. On snow days or cloudy days, I used Neutrogena Ultra 45+. I got some tan, but not the "hey I work at a ski area/goggle face" tan that others got. In the summer, I use Aloe Gator 40+ on the arms, legs, and "decollete"when I go outdoors. Works for me, whether I'm biking, golfing, bodysurfing, or just hanging out.

Thanks for allowing me to speak out. Off my soapbox.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the bump! I'm headed out for a bike ride this morning and need to remember the sunscreen.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have my SPF-45 sunblock stick clipped right to my camelback, and another one inside it, so I never forget it.

My Grandpa, Dad, and I have all had melanomas removed....I'm not taking any chances.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My normal daily moisturizer is an Oil Free Dr Drexler with Spf 30
On ski days out west, I take along a sample that I got from a ski school desk that is an Aveeno SPF 55, Oil free and safe for face.

Up until I had tried that Aveeno, I had never found anything that worked well for me on my face long term, mostly because I have extremely oily skin.

I found this available at my local drug store and have gotten a new tube of it for this summer.

Sidenote:
A friend of ours, who's husband has attended two ESA's is a chemist. She said that the chemical break down in sunscreens makes them no good after a year. If you have sunscreen left from last year, throw it out and buy new.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sidenote:
A friend of ours, who's husband has attended two ESA's is a chemist. She said that the chemical break down in sunscreens makes them no good after a year. If you have sunscreen left from last year, throw it out and buy new.

I experienced this back in February ... got a sunburn after applying Neutrogena 45 SPF multiple times during the day. Very annoyed. Although it was a weird sunburn; I got quite red, but it didn't hurt and didn't peel. I don't know exactly how all the different chemicals work on the different types of UV, so maybe some were working and others weren't ... It really was an odd burn.

Anyway, I blamed the sunscreen, as I'm not sure how old it was.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto,
Are you sure it was sunburn? I could have been windburn and cold burn. I get that during the winter. They feel like sunburn and get red like sunburn. But, they go away the next day. I lived in the Neutrogena SPF45 and 70 this winter, but I had days where my skin felt like it was burned, but returned to "normal" the next day.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto,
Are you sure it was sunburn? I could have been windburn and cold burn. I get that during the winter. They feel like sunburn and get red like sunburn. But, they go away the next day. I lived in the Neutrogena SPF45 and 70 this winter, but I had days where my skin felt like it was burned, but returned to "normal" the next day.

I too have had many wind/cold burns in my life, and this was different. Sometimes it's my collar rubbing on my chin, and my face gets red around there, but it was more face than that. It wasn't windy or cold the day I got it, either. It was different from anything I've ever had. Mainly I was very red, but no pain (maybe I had enough apres ski to not notice?). As red as I was, I should have peeled. I did get tan later.

I was using last year's sunscreen, I do know that. I won't try it again.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pinto - that is indeed a weird burn. Maybe one of the chemicals was still working enough to keep you from getting the "peeling" burn, but not the general burn.
I am usually pretty compliant with tossing sunscreen that I haven't used in awhile. But, some of my fave all-over sunscreen (AloeGator), I buy in quantity since I have to drive down to SLC to buy it. Sometimes it does sit around. I'll be more vigilant now.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on the chemical changes in that kind of stuff, its possible that you had a minor chemical burn.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bump up

I thought I'd just mention this:

Sephora has a "Sun Safety Kit" on sale right now. It is a neat little foldable backpack with 13 sample sizes of different sunscreens. It's only $22.50. I bought one last week. It's really nice. Now, these aren't the ones you'd wear if you went to the beach, but cosmetic type moisturizers. It's a nice way to get some new moisturizers and get your daily sunscreen. There's even one in there for your significant male. The little backpack is kinda cool, too. It's made from recycled plastics.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I'd just mention this:

Sephora has a "Sun Safety Kit" on sale right now. It is a neat little foldable backpack with 13 sample sizes of different sunscreens. It's only $22.50. I bought one last week. It's really nice. Now, these aren't the ones you'd wear if you went to the beach, but cosmetic type moisturizers. It's a nice way to get some new moisturizers and get your daily sunscreen. There's even one in there for your significant male. The little backpack is kinda cool, too. It's made from recycled plastics.

That sounds like something to check out, especially for people who's skin doesn't get along with many sunscreens. It's like subsidized trial and error.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always have sunscreen on; at least SPF 15 in moisturizer and in makeup base or an actual sunscreen of 30-70 SPF for prolonged outdoor activity.

Just wanted to mention that sunscreens are meant to protect against skin cancer type damage but not aging damage to skin.
Neutrogena has sunscreens with helioplex (which is meant to protect against wrinkles). Many other sunscreens have a similar ingredient for wrinkle protection with a different name -- but you have to look for them. A friend at work (works with dermatologists a lot) was adamant about my understanding this because i can spend a lot of time in the sun -- so I thought I would pass it on!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna