• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer Reading

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should have used that to get the books for my Modern Novels class, altagirl! D'oh! Thanks for the reminder!

stef

Certified Ski Diva
I'll have to try that website. Our library is pretty good especially with the interlibrary loans. When I have a good book I'll probably read 3-4 hours a day. I have to read at least 15 -30 minutes every night once I go to bed or I just lie there for hours waiting for sleep to arrive.

I just finished reading John Adams by David McCullough. A very interesting look at the life of one of the founding fathers. I had no idea of all he was involved with in addition to the Declaration of Independence and being President. David McCullough also wrote 1776 which is about the events of that year. It's wonderful to find an author that actually can put historical facts together in a way that makes you want to keep reading.

I have also read many books by Nora Roberts and Meg Cabot this summer.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the middle of "Finn" right now, I love it, it definitely harkens back to the Huckleberry story, but in a different light. And, I can't wait for the movie!!! I could definitely see Johnny Depp in the role.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished "The Enchanted April" and "The Other Queen".

Now starting "To Say Nothing of the Dog". Time travel anyone?

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I gave up on Journey to The Center of The Earth. Annoying.

God, I'll never forget listening to Rick Wakeman's 8-track tape of Journey to the center of the Earth, non-stop while driving up and back on many, many ski days. I love it, I should look for a cd of that music.

I'm reading Finn (of SDH fame as you know), and also read "Alice and the Hitman" SO FUNNY! I have a paperback if anyone wants it.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've recently finished the sixth "Outlander" book, ladies, and it's all your fault. I have the next one on order, it's due out in the next few days. I've spent the summer immersed in these books. The first one was sort of the embarassing "hot" type, but after that they improved quite a bit. Still not great literature, but I've enjoyed them quite a bit. I don't think I'll re-read them, however, unlike the Patrick O'Brien series, which I would consider doing for a third time....

geargrrl

Angel Diva
so am I the only one on the planet who though everything after the third outlander was a waste of paper? I just thought they went on and on, contrived, etc.

altagirl

Staff member
I just read "The Other Boleyn Girl". A friend and I did a book swap, as she was heading to Australia and needed some airplane reading. And it was pretty much as she described it - it's like a historically based trashy romance novel. :smile: Which is pretty fun - made me do some googling to verify my historical facts, but that's probably a good thing. :smile:

Kind of like when I read Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code - the lines get very blurry mixing fact and fiction, but on the other hand, I spent a lot of time googling the various buildings and artwork and such to have a visual of what they were talking about - and that made it pretty fun.

Jenny

Angel Diva
so am I the only one on the planet who though everything after the third outlander was a waste of paper? I just thought they went on and on, contrived, etc.

No - I'm with you. But that doesn't mean I don't read them anyway; I just don't buy them anymore.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I just read "The Other Boleyn Girl". A friend and I did a book swap, as she was heading to Australia and needed some airplane reading. And it was pretty much as she described it - it's like a historically based trashy romance novel. :smile: Which is pretty fun - made me do some googling to verify my historical facts, but that's probably a good thing. :smile:

Kind of like when I read Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code - the lines get very blurry mixing fact and fiction, but on the other hand, I spent a lot of time googling the various buildings and artwork and such to have a visual of what they were talking about - and that made it pretty fun.

I picked up a different book by same author at the airport ( Wideacre) and couldn't get through it... between the bodice ripper aspects and the complete predictability, I had to put it down.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've recently finished the sixth "Outlander" book, ladies, and it's all your fault. I have the next one on order, it's due out in the next few days. I've spent the summer immersed in these books. The first one was sort of the embarassing "hot" type, but after that they improved quite a bit. Still not great literature, but I've enjoyed them quite a bit. I don't think I'll re-read them, however, unlike the Patrick O'Brien series, which I would consider doing for a third time....

The last couple were definitely not the same caliber as the first couple--and none were as good as the first--but I still enjoyed them. I have reread them a couple times now, despite how long they are.

Let's see... Gatsby paid off since I have to read it this week for English. :becky: For school right now I'm also reading Marie: or, Slavery in the United States and Soul Rebels. Both are quite interesting and I would have missed out on them had they not been assigned. Since I just joined Paperbook Swap and want to read TONS of books now that I haven't before (and I'm crazy), I'm also making my way through The Monk Downstairs. It's completely fluff but that's cool. I need an easy read with all the other reading I'm doing at the moment.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Agreed. Although I barely even made it through Voyager. I think the first book is the only one that I really enjoyed front to back. The others seem far too long-winded for their own good. Enjoyable, but way too long to keep my attention.

Sibhusky - don't feel bad about liking the whole series - most of us just don't have the attention span for more than three 1000 page books!

I just finished Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson. It's a classic sci fi book that's been on my list for a while, and it was pretty dang good. I like that he introduces a fantastic sci fi scenario and instead of making it the focus of the story, he uses the sci fi as a vessel to tell stories about human relationships, and the behavior of humanity as a whole. Good stuff. I would also highly recommend another of his books, Spin. Both are very fast reads.

stef

Certified Ski Diva
Just finished "No Hill To Fast" by Phil and Steve Mahre. My son's ski coach loaned it to him to read. Written towards a younger reader, but a fun book to put you in the mood to ski. Would be a great read for a younger skier. My son keeps saying, "hey mom, the coach tells us to do the same things Phil and Steve are telling us to do." Maybe this year he'll do what the coach is suggesting now that he's heard it from Olympic skiers.:thumbsup:

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just borrowed a book from my friend that I cannot put down. I read half of it in one sitting yesterday!

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finished Finn; what a great story and beautiful verse and use of words; and it ties in perfectly with the Huck story without re-telling it. I loved the "big surprise" character feature, which I will not reveal.

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got totally obsessed with reading about expeditions to Mount Everest and K2. The most enlightening book I read was High Crimes by Michael Kordas.

Also:
The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
The Death Zone by Matt Dickinson

After that, I'm mostly into the lighter stuff before tackling some more.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finished The Hunger Games last night - I stayed up past midnight because I just had to finish! Seroiusly, read this book! It's written for young adults but it is a fantastic story with so many deep, make-you-think adult themes. It's the first of at least two (the next book comes out soon, I hear), so there's more to come.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna