• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Suggestions for first skis?

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
I will need my own skis this year. I bought boots last year and borrowed a relative's skis so I am good for boots.

I'll be skiing mostly greens and maybe some blue and I am okay with that. ;) I'll be with kids anyway and one is 4 so she won't be progressing past green this season. I will be skiing at a local hill or two (hill, not a mountain, a bump in the land) and in the Canadian Rockies in February. We went to the same mountain the last 2 years, which was when I got back into skiing. Prior to that, skied probably 25 years ago and only on a local hill, never on a mountain and I was much younger then. :smile: Future seasons will take us to different destinations in Alberta and maybe Panorama, Fernie or Kimberley in B.C. but the drive is longer so we are waiting until the little one can ski longer days for all the effort to get there.

I don't have a shop to buy skis locally, I will have to order online. There is a shop I can get my boots adjusted to my bindings. They actually sell skis, but they don't sell bindings...and selection is very limited.

I know next to nothing about skis so don't really have an idea of what type of skis I should be looking at. I liked the price on these https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-721/Temptation-80-Skis-With-Bindings just not a fan of the colours. And MEC is easy for me to order online from.

I am 5'4" and 135#. I am 20-25 pounds over my standard weight so if I could get something that would work if I drop some of my extra, that would be super not having to buy something else in the next few years. I'd like to get confident on blue runs so that's my future goals. I am unlikely to be a black diamond girl as I have become more timid as I got older.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. You say MEC is easy - so hello Canuck!! As a Rossi skier the Temptation could be a choice. I would stay in that 78-85mm waist width for your progression. I ski the 88's as my out west ski. They are 161 and I'm 5'4 but heavier, but the 88 is burlier. I really hate the colours - reminds me of bubble gum.

We need @Albertan ski girl to help with shop selections for you.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome to our world. You say MEC is easy - so hello Canuck!! As a Rossi skier the Temptation could be a choice. I would stay in that 78-85mm waist width for your progression. I ski the 88's as my out west ski. They are 161 and I'm 5'4 but heavier, but the 88 is burlier. I really hate the colours - reminds me of bubble gum.

We need @Albertan ski girl to help with shop selections for you.

Thanks! So is that the middle number I should be looking at when they say the dimensions are something like this "131-85-112mm (163 cm)" Since they give dimensions for only one size, does the width change on different sizes too?

And yes, Hubba Bubba or something. Bleck. I like more "girly" colours but those ones have got to go. LOL

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, the middle number. The dimensions can change depending on the length of the ski. Some manufacturers do and some don't. If they don't change the dimensions then the turning radius will be different for different lengths.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I'm not sure about the terrain on which you'll be skiing, but the Atomic Affinity Airs changed my life at a time I was progressing. They gave me great confidence and made skiing an addiction. They are a beginner ski, and may be narrow for your terrain, but my daughter and I both adored them for years.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not sure about the terrain on which you'll be skiing, but the Atomic Affinity Airs changed my life at a time I was progressing. They gave me great confidence and made skiing an addiction. They are a beginner ski, and may be narrow for your terrain, but my daughter and I both adored them for years.

I will look at them, thank you! I have no terrain to compare to so I can't really say what I will be skiing on. :( They are groomed runs, that is all I know. The hill I have been at the last couple years and going to this year again is Marmot Basin. The last 2 years we were there in early spring; one day was pouring rain in town and pelting snowing up on the mountain but warm. This year we will be there earlier.

The local hill we go to is literally a hill. And they make a lot of their own snow even though we get a lot of snow here. Not sure why they have to do it, perhaps just the location.

Welcome!!!.

My first skis were Atomic Affinity Pures and Volkl Violas. The atomic pures were solid and felt a little meatier to me. However, I simultaneously loved the violas, turned on a dime and just so easy to maneuver. Atomic are 79 underfoot and that Violas were 72 underfoot.

I am not familiar with the atomic storms except I think they are more advanced than the purrs.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi, @SkiMauw ! welcome to the forum! You're another Marmot skier - yay! I divide up my time between Edmonton and Calgary (partner teaches at U of A, and lives there with the kiddos, and I teach at the U of C and commute between Edmonton and Calgary). I actually learned to ski at a tiny bump - Snow Valley in Edmonton! I love Marmot :smile: And I most frequently ski at Sunshine Village or Lake Louise - if you're coming to either Jasper or Banff, let me know, id love to meet up! DD is 11 and DS is 13 and both love skiing, and love skiing with other families! Where are you located exactly? I take it you're not in Edmonton, or the capital region, as you mention that you don't have a ski shop nearby. Perhaps if you let me know where you are/general area, I might give some suggestions.

If you're in Jasper in the spring, Totem does often do great clearances. If you have to pass through Edmonton - Sundance Ski Shop is great. Actually, they have some amazing deals right now on their online shop. They can ship to you as well! If you go to the Sundance web page, you can peruse through a lot of options they currently have on sale - search by skis and order by price.

https://www.sundanceskishop.com/cat...=&begin=1&nhit=40&order_by=2&dir=asc&cat=9924

I see they have a bunch of appropriate skis - at your height, weight and progressing level, I think the main this is not to have too stiff or wide of a ski. I started out with the Atomic Affinity Pures when I learned to ski as an adult in AB, and they were perfect. The Airs are great too. I did a review of the Atomic Affinity Pures as a novice skier, and you can find it here - it's a review for our conditions as well:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-first-skis-atomic-affinity-pure-2013.18035/

I would stay away from the Storms - a burlier ski for sure, for a more intermediate/advanced skier. As everyone mentioned above - I think 78 - 85 is a good range for the middle number. On the Sundance website, I see some good prices on Dynastar Glory 79 skis, as well as 84. MEC also has some great great deals too! I see some Rossi Temptation 80s, Volkl Chiaras and Volkl Aurenas. I can't speak to the Volkls, but I do hear a lot of good things about the Temptation 80s, though I really do think any of those would be a great choice for you. I hate the colours for the Rossis too - but hopefully this year there will be so much snow, we won't be seeing so much of our skis out there :smile:

In short, I think any of the above would be great - and yay to getting out and skiing!

I don't know if you're ever out to Edmonton or Calgary, but kijiji in both of those cities has some great finds for skis too!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have any of you purchased from levelninesports? They ship to Canada and seem to have good rates, but I'm not familiar with all the ins-and-outs of international shipping so I may be overlooking something.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes to the Atomic Pures. That would be a good one. If you can find one. Not in the catalogue this year. But the Vantage 80 might be something. Haven't tried it for the shop yet, but will get on it in December.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Have any of you purchased from levelninesports? They ship to Canada and seem to have good rates, but I'm not familiar with all the ins-and-outs of international shipping so I may be overlooking something.

Yes, that might be a another option for you @SkiMauw . We've ordered a number of times from level nine sports (https://www.levelninesports.com/), but it has been mostly for the kids, as their kids' ski deals are often amazing even with the 35% exchange rate - I think we got a pair of Elan kids skis and bindings for DD for $75 one year. Sometimes their adult ski deals can be worth it too, if the cost of the ski moves to $200 or less. But I do have to say that the customer service at levelninesports is incredible. The shipping is $19 to anywhere in Canada, no extra duties, and everything arrives in about 3 business days. I've dealt with them on the phone as well (they will call you after purchase to discuss mounting point for bindings and BSL) and they have been nothing but lovely. I think we've bought about 4 pairs of skis from level nine for the kids? If they're having a goggle sale too, it's often worth it to buy goggles for the family and ship them up.

The other place to check out for Canadians is also an ebay seller named asogear:

https://stores.ebay.ca/asogear

They're an actual store in Oakville, Ontario, and have a fantastic selection of skis, bindings, goggles etc. If you call you can get a human on the phone! They really specialize in new skis, but from previous years, so you can get a great deal.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Here's some affinity pure's for sale on skis.com for a great price. Not sure if they ship to Canada or not.

https://www.skis.com/Atomic-Affinit...QXh-q5dK_JU5nAcdRMhh1-xxLupPgkJBBsaApmq8P8HAQ

the shipping with skis .com is way too complicated. They also make you go to a customs agent to pay duties.

For the American sellers, the best options for Canadians are:

level nine sports
start haus ($50 USD shipping, duties included, but totally worth it if you get one of their mega deals, like $99 skis)

I find the shipping fees too high, deals not good enough and customs payment too awkward for most sellers to be worth it.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Wow everyone here is nice and helpful! Thanks!

If I go for the purrs, what size? They have 148, 154, 160. Also, the binding say "mounted" I assume that means not on the ski? Do they need my boot to mount? Or can the shop in buy from mount them and then I get them adjusted to my boots here? (not sure if mounting and adjusting are different!)

the shipping with skis .com is way too complicated. They also make you go to a customs agent to pay duties.

For the American sellers, the best options for Canadians are:

level nine sports
start haus ($50 USD shipping, duties included, but totally worth it if you get one of their mega deals, like $99 skis)

I find the shipping fees too high, deals not good enough and customs payment too awkward for most sellers to be worth it.

What a pain, sorry I forgot it's more complicated 'up north' as we used to say when I lived in Minneapolis.

I think those Pures OP found at Corbetts were a good deal. 154 or 160 size? I think the 154 will end up being too short, especially if she wants to hang onto them for a while. I'd say the 160

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga