• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Suggestions for demo

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, since my Volkl Sols are resulting in knee pain whenever I ski them, I want to demo some other skis.
About me and my skiing: I'm 5'4" and 110lbs. Intermediate skier who skis Vermont and this is my 5th season. I've had lots of lessons and been told on the whole my technique is decent. Been told I'm about level 6 on the level 1-9 scale. However, I seem to be the queen of skidded turns. I can't seem to carve on ANY skis I've ever skied including really narrow waisted ones (this is not just a problem with my Sols.) I just can't seem to get 2 clear tracks in the snow however much i try.
I am interested in a more all mountain type of ski with a bent towards the carving end of the spectrum as far as waist width.

I like the feel of the Volkls and love their edge grip, so am looking for something with a similar energetic feel and great hold on ice (but want it wide enough to be fun to ski in heavy spring snow---I don't like really narrow skis in heavy snow). I might want something less stiff than the Sols.
I've tried the K2 Free Luv twice and found it uninspiring and just passable edge grip even though I wanted to like it.
This is the list I've come up with to try. Does anyone have any other suggestion of things to try??
Atomic 7th Heaven 76
Atomic Cloud 8
Nordica Drive
Fischer Koa 75
Blizzard Viva 7.4

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have demoed the volkls and know what you mean about the grip on ice. I'd hate to give that up given where we both ski. What about the Blizzard viva 8.1? It wasn't for me but is supposed to have a great ice grip and be flexible when you need it to be. It is a step up from the 7.4. Also maybe the Atomic d2 vf 73 or the Rossi attraxion VIII echo (two that I still want to try). Though those two may be too stiff for you. I'm not sure how they compare to the sol. Maybe another diva has that info? Anyone?

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, you've got some good choices so far. I was going to first suggest the Nordica Victory, but it's more like skiing a Cadillac. You sound like you enjoy the kind of skis that I do, so I'm going to suggest you demo what I'm skiing now - the Salomon Topaz. It's fun and lively, very energetic. It handles most conditions well, and with a 74 inch waist and a lot shape it carves easily. A low intermediate could ski it, I think, but there's enough there for the advanced skier to work with as well, provided you're not too heavy in weight. Actually, to my mind it carves on a dime. It's not an ice ski and does not hold on ice like a Volkl (what does?), but I've skied it on northern Vermont ice and icy black diamond trails with very little problem, and it was wayyy better than my Rossis. The Salomon Diamond is a nice ski too, but it does sound like you need a softer flexing ski. You're lightweight, and anything too stiff is going to encourage skidding. You want something you can flex easily, so the ski can perform as it's intended to.

Here's a link to a review of the Topaz on skis.com, which, by the way, can be another good source for your research:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ahXRaW2SeU&feature=related

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are the about the same weight/height and it seems to me that you cannot carve the skis because they are too stiff for you. I have the same problem unless I go fast. I too like lively skis like the Atomics and volkl, but I am starting to realized that they may not be the right ski for me due to their stiffness. I would not recommend the blizzard as they felt stiff to me.
The Fischer KOA 75 are very light. I would recommend the Cloud 7, but stay away from the 9. I would recommend the Dynastar Legend or the Active Fluid(that was recommended to me by the ski shop). You could try some of the Junior 150cm skis. Some of the narrower skis are easier to carve. I have a hard carving on my Atomics for instance, but I demoed an old volkl men slalom ski with a 63 waist and they turn real easy and carve way easier too.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, I'd second the opinion to stay away from the Cloud 9. I found that these encouraged skidding for me, something you want to get away from.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent-- I will add the Salomon Topaz to my list, as well as the Cloud 7. Will check into some Dynastars as well.
The hard part may be finding anything in the right length since they start selling them off this time of year.
It would really suck if I had to go back to rentals for the rest of the season, as I really hate rentals now that I've actually experienced a ski that is waxed and tuned and rentals never are!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
add the Rossi "Echo" is a carver, holds well, I tried yesterday, had lots of fun..

B

B.E.G.

I would add the Head Great One to your list. Unfortunately, I don't really ever face true ice so can't comment on that, but I really liked it on hardpack.

RhodySkier

Certified Ski Diva
I ski the Cloud 9 in New England and really like it. Liked it better than the Cloud 8 and the Sol. I think for New England any of the Cloud series would be good to demo. It's difficult to say if you'll like the Cloud 7, 8 or 9 better. There's been a lot of love for the Atomic D2VF73 and 75, too. I had wanted to demo the Blizzard Viva as well but the shop had sold them. Good luck! Hope you find your "it" skis.

mountaingal

Certified Ski Diva
Have you tried the Volkl Tierras? I tried them out several weeks ago and thought they were a really fun ski. The new set up (bio-logic?) was great, and they carved like a dream on the groomers. They have something like a 78 waist, I think?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountaingal-- the Tierras likley won't work for me. I'm so light, I won't be able to flex them, as they are even beefier than the skis I'm, having issues with. They sure are popular though!

mountaingal

Certified Ski Diva
Ah, I should have such problems! Let's just say I could use to lose a few pounds of flex! :redface:

Sorry the Tierra won't help. Good luck...I'm sure you'll find that perfect fit!

B

B.E.G.

In that case, Dynastars? They're supposed to be light, lively skis - maybe the Exclusive Elite or the Exclusive Active. I think they are 72 and 74 underfoot (low 70s anyway).

Also, if you want to bump it up to a midfat, the Salomon Lady (I think it's 85 underfoot).

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I'm thinking about the Dynastar Exclusive Active--might be good.
I tried the Salomon Lady when out in CO and liked it, but it lacks the strong edge grip I'm looking for for my main ski here in the East. I'd definitely consider getting it as a secondary ski for softer conditions though.

B

B.E.G.

Another suggestion - get two skis? Get a carver - maybe look at the K2 Burnin Luv or the Nordica Firefox - and then look at a midfat (even the Volkl Kenja or Aura, since those don't come with integrated bindings). I don't know how practical that will be though if you're primarily skiing NE.

Um, or maybe skis that come flat so that you can choose your bindings (Rossi S74W or S80W). I don't know how those Rossis fare on ice however.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yeah, I'd definitely be up for getting multiple skis, but I think I need to take care of just getting one first!

Honestly, my mood about this predicament changes almost hourly. I'm so annoyed that something is not quite right with me and these skis I already have and I don't know what it is, it's driving me crazy! Part of me wants to just tough it out on the Sols. It's not a question of not being able to control them--I definitely feel in control. They've never felt like they are going to buck me off, trample me and leave me for dead---but yet I think they may be too stiff. Then, I start to doubt my abilities and think maybe I really have no business buying ANY skis until I "deserve" them more (which is why I waited 5 seasons before buying these); I should just stick with crappy rentals.
But I hate rentals . . . .

B

B.E.G.

yeah, I'd definitely be up for getting multiple skis, but I think I need to take care of just getting one first!

Honestly, my mood about this predicament changes almost hourly. I'm so annoyed that something is not quite right with me and these skis I already have and I don't know what it is, it's driving me crazy! Part of me wants to just tough it out on the Sols. It's not a question of not being able to control them--I definitely feel in control. They've never felt like they are going to buck me off, trample me and leave me for dead---but yet I think they may be too stiff. Then, I start to doubt my abilities and think maybe I really have no business buying ANY skis until I "deserve" them more (which is why I waited 5 seasons before buying these); I should just stick with crappy rentals.
But I hate rentals . . . .

Ok stop right there. There is no "deserving" or "not deserving" skis! And no one should be stuck with crappy rentals, ESPECIALLY after 5 seasons of skiing! Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with you, so no more of that line of thinking :smile:

Skis that work for some are not going to work for others, even of similar abilities and/or height/weight. We're all different, we all ski differently, and that's why it's awesome that we, as women, now have so many choices. If the Sol isn't right for you, it says nothing about your abilities as a skier or as a person. It just means you haven't found the right ski YET. And you WILL.

I forgot to ask this earlier too - do you think this could be a stance/boot issue that the binding is exacerbating? Before you pull the trigger on a new ski, it might be worth finding a good bootfitter, going in and describing the pain you've been having, and seeing if there's an easier, cheaper and better fix regarding your boots first.

And if it's possibly a too stiff issue, I wonder if it's worth demoing the Luna (one of the less stiff Volkl Biologic skis) and see if you have the same problem. If you do, it really might be the bindings (or the boots or whatnot), and if you don't, it could just be a stiffness issue and you just need a softer ski.

It's frustrating now, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and think how amazing it will feel when you DO find the perfect ski for you :smile:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi NES,

I don't know where you ski, but Piche's near Gunstock has quite a few women's Blizzards left.....7.4, 7.6, 8.1, different lengths too. I don't know what they have for demos but you could always call and ask.

I'm also 5'4" but have quite a few lbs on you and I ski the 7.6 and LOVE it!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In my opinion, there are too many wonderful skis out there to be skiing one that doesn't make your heart sing! It's hard to say, but it could definitely be that the forward pressure you're exerting to turn your skis is causing knee pain. I'm with BEG, after 5 seasons and as a level six skier you DESERVE a good ski to help you carve . :hug:

Seriously, the right ski will make things easier for you, you just need to find the right fit. And it sounds like your composing a good list of possible candidates. This is the best time to demo, I think. And there are still demo days going on. Reps will be looking to sell off some of their skis. Internet sales abound, shops have lots of overstock they want to clear out, it's just a great time to buy skis. Since I returned to skiing about seven years ago, I've bought my last three pairs of skis in March or April.

NewEnglandSkier, are you able to get to Sunapee, NH on Thursday? They're having a demo day with about 9 different reps, from what the ski shop told me. Lunch is included too! :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga