• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stray Cat Saga

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
SO.....more on the Saga:

The Humane Society actually called back yesterday and said they'd take the kitty, even though they were closed. Good news, except she ran into the woods when we tried to get her. So we couldn't take her in. Given the condition of her front paw, I figured that was that. She wouldn't be back.

I was wrong. All hail the power of kibble.

This morning she'd returned. We'd put some food in a dish in a cat carrier, and kitty had ensconced herself inside. We shut her in and took her to the Humane Society, where she'll be treated by a vet.

That makes two strays in two weeks. I'm hoping we're done.

Jilly

Staff member
3X a charm :bag:

SD I would so love to have a pet again, but both DH and I work and I just can't leave a pet all alone in the house for most of the day. Just not fair. Both kitties are so cute. Hopefully they will get adopted by someone as kind as you!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
3) I already have a cat -- one who's pretty skittish and really doesn't like other cats. We're still considering adopting cat #1. Do we dare proceed?

Those cats are adorable! I love the mid-meow picture.

So, I had a middle aged skittish cat, and I got it into my head that she was sad and lonely and needed a friend. I adopted a cat from an individual who said that if there were any problems, she'd take the cat back. I did all my research on how to properly integrate cats with a lot of time separated with closed doors, swapping rooms, etc - but when we actually got the second cat home, I felt sorry for him and let him roam the house almost immediately.

Long story short, it was a disaster, my first cat was miserable, things escalated in a series of events I don't really want to get into, and finally I found myself bringing the new cat to the shelter, which was something I could never have imagined ever doing. It was heart breaking. I visited him in the shelter until he was adopted a month later.

I'm not saying you shouldn't adopt, or that it won't work out. I do suggest that you follow all the "rules" of introducing cats, and that you decide in advance what scenarios will be difficult enough that you would give the cat back to the shelter. Oh, and don't believe anyone who says that they'll take the cat back to find a new home for it if it doesn't work out.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In regards to adopting the first cat, I will say that depends on how much tolerance you & your husband have if they do not like each other and fight.

I have two cats, both of whom were adopted as kittens. One is from our vets office and the other from the Humane Society. My vet said the first one should have a friend, so when the older cat died, I adopted another kitten. I introduced them the first night, but they were only together supervised in the beginning (and seemed to get along except second kitty didn't seem to understand how to play at first). They normally get along great, but when another cat comes by or the second kitty gets scared, they fight. Most of the time it's just horrible noises, but they have actually fought too. Then they get separated until they get along when I let them be together again. If they are out and still don't get along, they get locked back up.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are beautiful. Thanks for helping the strays! They look like they are part Maine Coon. I took in a stray Maine Coon 3 years ago and he is the most amazing, loving cat I have ever known. Maine Coon's have the most gentle, yet playful personalities.

Before deciding, you want to know what diseases the strays may have picked up...most are manageable, but you need to know how they may impact your current kitty. Whatever you decide, you have to fair to the kitty you already have, so try to be realistic about whether you think it can be ok.

I hope this isn't a hijack...but I had to share my before and after pictures of my stray since he was in rough shape (FIV, Lyme, Bartonella, head puncture, matted fur and ticks) and today he is in remarkable health!

Before...
small_1320_2.JPG

Today...
Kittery_20130420_0002small.jpg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What a gorgeous cat! And what an amazing change!

Sadly, we learned yesterday that the humane society -- a no-kill shelter -- had to euthanize the second kitty because she was in such bad shape. Really, I'm not surprised, but still, if whoever didn't want her had just brought her in to start with, this could all have been avoided.

Jury's still out on Kitty #11. We haven't decided yet, and she's still in quarantine at the shelter.

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a gorgeous cat! And what an amazing change!

Sadly, we learned yesterday that the humane society -- a no-kill shelter -- had to euthanize the second kitty because she was in such bad shape. Really, I'm not surprised, but still, if whoever didn't want her had just brought her in to start with, this could all have been avoided.

Jury's still out on Kitty #11. We haven't decided yet, and she's still in quarantine at the shelter.

Sad about the second Kitty, but so much better than her being left to suffer out in the wild. Thank you for helping both kitties!

Jilly

Staff member
Playoutside - that looks just like the cat that I grew up with. I do miss him. Died of old age years ago.

And as a person that grew up with 2 uncles that were vets - better to put down then suffer. Don't like it, but understand.

Christy

Angel Diva
Sadly, we learned yesterday that the humane society -- a no-kill shelter -- had to euthanize the second kitty because she was in such bad shape.
:( Poor little kitty. But at least he had good care at the end.

The no-kill moniker is very misleading and a lot of shelters don't use it exactly because of situations like this. Of course they euthanize badly injured or sick animals. Many supposed no-kill shelters, when you read the fine print, say "we don't euthanize any adoptable animal" but "adoptable animal" often doesn't include hard to place pets, senior pets, sick but treatable pets, or dogs wearing the wrong outfit, ie Pit Bulls. There is also an industry standard that says if you have a live release rate of 2/3s, you can call yourself "no kill." Only 2/3! And then there are the small rescues that call themselves no kill, but that's because they accept only young, healthy animals they know they can adopt out. A lof of us are very skeptical when we hear a shelter or group call themselves no kill because of all this--it's really a meaningless term.

A better judge is the live release rate, but private groups don't have to give you this info, so it's not always available. Austin and Seattle have the best live release rates in the country for municipal shelters, a little over 90%. There are shelters in the South that are in the teens. So if you want to judge a shelter those are the highs and lows.

Christy

Angel Diva
None of that is meant to diss your local place, which may be a wonderful place, just to let people know that you can't really go by the moniker of no-kill.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to be fair, I don't think they go by that; it's what I call it because they don't kill pets that can't be adopted. I went to their web site, and here's what they say:

The shelter does not euthanize animals unless there is a strong medical or behavioral reason to do so.

So if there's any confusion, it's because of me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga