• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stopping negative thoughts

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Visualization was also a topic in the books I read (In Pursuit of Excellence by Terry Orlick and The Mental Athlete by Kay Porter). I've tried it and I think it helped a bit especially in learning new skills.

altagirl

Staff member
Visualization was also a topic in the books I read (In Pursuit of Excellence by Terry Orlick and The Mental Athlete by Kay Porter). I've tried it and I think it helped a bit especially in learning new skills.

Visualizing is great. I believe it is also why it's often easier to learn when you're following someone better than you - you have that good example right in front of you to mimic. (Of course there are negatives to that too, because you can get in over your head or start beating yourself up because you can't keep up....) My best days learning new things usually came after having a video of someone I'm trying to emulate (whether it's skating, skiing, biking, whatever) or watching them in person and having that fresh in my mind, thinking about what it would "feel" like to do that and even adopting their mindset and body language when I am giving it a shot. I think ideally, you want to envision that YOU can do it just the way you want to, but it's often helpful as a stepping stone to pretend that you are someone else who is an expert at what you're trying to do. Then you get to feel it in real life and adopt the things that work for you however you like to make it your own.

Just realize that while you may be really good at visualizing, you're not going to immediately jump to 100% of what you want to be doing! So don't fall into the trap of feeling disappointed because it doesn't work quite the way it did in your daydreams. So it's kindof a two part thing - you're visualizing doing it perfectly, but when you're evaluating what you did afterwards, you have to be realistic and look at where you were before you started working on it, what things improved and take the positive bits and build on them, not focus on the fact that you're not perfect yet! :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You could try to demo skis to get a different feeling, sometimes that helps get you out of the dumps!

For me I always get into my groove when the snow is good and I can really excel.
Some times when I get the weird funk going on, I take a short break and switch skis.

I'm not saying that the skis are to blame for the weird funk, but switching it up can help shake it.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Switching skis is an option, provided you have some other skis to switch to!

I've been thinking about this thread - I think the issue is that one can really never become a "perfect" skier. I'm sure even high-end racers beat up on themselves after a run, analyzing all the tiny movements or whatever they think they could have done better. Maybe it's just the nature of skiing that there's always room for improvement. I've often wondered if snowboarders go through the same agonies.

That said, you have to try and turn off the critical mindset and think of the good stuff you did - and the fun you had. I'm just back from an instructors' training clinic and it would be very easy for me to dwell on the fact that I could have done such and such better, etc. etc. But the bottom line is I had a terrific day - and I can't wait to get out again and work on all the stuff I think I need to work on. And have more fun!

Christy

Angel Diva
Switching skis is an option, provided you have some other skis to switch to!

Yeah actually I know my skis aren't the best for the kind of conditions that trip me up, and I'm in the market for longer, slightly fatter skis. I believe my instructors when they say that skiing is 90% mental and 10% gear, but it'll be interesting to see if just the idea of being on more appropriate skis could make me more confident.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah actually I know my skis aren't the best for the kind of conditions that trip me up, and I'm in the market for longer, slightly fatter skis. I believe my instructors when they say that skiing is 90% mental and 10% gear, but it'll be interesting to see if just the idea of being on more appropriate skis could make me more confident.

Well there it is.
I think new equipment is loads of fun!
And they do make a difference. You need crud busters and the Divas here have just given you permission to buy them. Christmas is only three days away. You better get shopping!:jealous:

Christy

Angel Diva
They're going to be my xmas present. :smile: I'm going to demo Lotta Luvs and Blizzard Vivas on Saturday. I'm bummed there aren't any huge slopeside demo days scheduled around here yet this year, so I'll have to take up skis 2 at a time from local shops.

C

CMCM

I used to think I'd eventually get to the "expert" point where I could easily handle any conditions. Maybe someday....but I've learned I can do fabulously for 10 straight ski days, then have a really bad day if conditions are bad. Recently (on my 18th ski day this season after 17th previously good days!) I went and conditions were truly rotten: really icy under a thin layer of fluff, so you couldn't really edge well, very slippery, occasional big chunks of ice PLUS really flat light so I couldn't tell anything about the terrain. Visibility was so horrible I got off the trail and into a place that didn't get anywhere skiable, so I actually had to remove my skis and walk back a ways. I'm surprised I didn't wipe out somewhere that day! I hated it, really hated it, this was not fun. After maybe 4 runs I'd had it, but I don't feel bad about it. I decided it wasn't worth a possible bad fall and injury, so I opted for a nice warm cappuchino and then went home! I guess it helps to have a pass so you don't feel like you didn't get your money's worth that day!

flygirl

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with the tunes! I had an instructor recommend that to me, and he was right! I never ski without my tunes!

Christy

Angel Diva
Well new skis sure helped! I'll try the ipod sometime but I do like hearing what's around me for now. I love the singing idea and have been doing that. It's hard to take yourself too seriously when you're singing something like The Lonely Goatherd.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga