• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stevens Pass avalanche

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As many of you have heard, there was a devastating avalanche that claimed the lives of three people in the freeski community, including the head judge. One of the survivors is Elyse Saugstad, who happened to be one of the instructors at the Next Level Ski Camp at Squaw January 2011.
I think Rachel will agree with me when I say, this girl rips, and even though she is a thrill seeker, she isn't someone I'd consider reckless.

Elyse, glad you're okay
https://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...s-like-a-washing-machine#.T0KEyb1wCiJ.twitter

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Such a tragedy! So glad that Elyse survived, but my heart goes out to the friends and families of the others.

And yes, +1 to airbags.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She was carried 2,000 feet in the avalanche! That's 4/10 of a mile! Best $700 she ever spent, and a testament to the value of this up and coming new device for avalanche survival.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A co-worker of mine's (who my father coached as a child) nieces and one husband both work at Steven's Pass. When I heard about this I almost called her but didn't want to be the one to break the bad news if it was one of them. We spoke this morning and while it was obviously not her niece and it was not her niece's husband it was her husband who recovered Chris' body. The niece is search and rescue trained with a dog but they were not allowed to go out on this mission because she is too close to everyone who died.

I can only hope that lessons, such as the benefits of the airbags, are learned from the tragedy. Something tells me that those who died would agree that they would rather their death result in a change in the mindset of those that participate in extreme skiing, even if it is simply that airbags become standard equipment.

My thoughts and prayers are with all their loved ones and the entire freeskiing and local community.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just read that they were leading folks from ESPN and Powder Magazine on a tour of the mountain and backcountry. So at least maybe the lessons learned will be widely disseminated.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I just read that they were leading folks from ESPN and Powder Magazine on a tour of the mountain and backcountry. So at least maybe the lessons learned will be widely disseminated.

What? Really? Am I understanding this, that the group (s) that ducked the rope were leading these tours?

So far, aside from reading that these skiers were "expert" and "experienced", I've read nothing about whether a pit was dug, or a slab test done. So how expert does that make you: evaluating the conditions visually? ( or am I missing some info that has been put out?)

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
What? Really? Am I understanding this, that the group (s) that ducked the rope were leading these tours?

So far, aside from reading that these skiers were "expert" and "experienced", I've read nothing about whether a pit was dug, or a slab test done. So how expert does that make you: evaluating the conditions visually? ( or am I missing some info that has been put out?)

As far as I know there was no rope-ducking -- they were skiing stuff that was accessible via a backcountry gate.

I thought this post did a really nice job of mourning the loss while acknowledging the risk inherent in this kind of thing:
https://kimkircher.com/2012/02/20/avalanche-deaths/

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find it really odd that the media basically has glossed over the avalanche risk yesterday as being high. Well, at least there are conflicting reports as to what the risk was...

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I don't know that any info has been put out ... just because we haven't read about what protocol was followed doesn't mean it wasn't.

I did read that everyone was in safe zones/trees while the one person was skiing, and the entire slope ripped, even the trees. Sounds like a freak accident, in a way. Far too early to judge.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find it really odd that the media basically has glossed over the avalanche risk yesterday as being high.
Not in the articles I've read--all of them mention it at least once, although Elyse did say the avi danger was low when they set out. That could have been before the avalanche danger was posted.

Anyhow, as with other backcountry tragedies, it takes at least a few more days to get the whole story out, so I wouldn't rush to judgment.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
As far as I know there was no rope-ducking -- they were skiing stuff that was accessible via a backcountry gate.

I thought this post did a really nice job of mourning the loss while acknowledging the risk inherent in this kind of thing:

Shows how fast misinformation spreads. I'd gotten the impression that it was out of bounds via "ducking" vs a backcountry gate. I went and read the local press from this morning, and unfortunately, all that is said that all parties were out of bounds, nothing about a backcountry gate, even from our very esteemed local outdoors writer/blogger. Even the AP report doesn't mention it. I think that kind of info is important!!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shows how fast misinformation spreads. I'd gotten the impression that it was out of bounds via "ducking" vs a backcountry gate. I went and read the local press from this morning, and unfortunately, all that is said that all parties were out of bounds, nothing about a backcountry gate, even from our very esteemed local outdoors writer/blogger. Even the AP report doesn't mention it. I think that kind of info is important!!

Mainstream press is pretty awful with this sort of thing....

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The very term "out of bounds" sounds like violating a boundary to those who don't know what it means, and as we've seen on this thread, not even all advanced skiers know that there's no functional difference between being out of bounds and backcountry skiing, so it's no wonder there's confusion about whether ducking a rope into closed inbounds terrain is different from going through a ski area boundary gate.

ETA: I could be very wrong about skiing out of bounds to be the same as backcountry skiing--in fact, if you're skiing to town on a road in flat terrain, it wouldn't be backcountry at all, right? :noidea:

Like one of the article said, we instinctively try to differentiate the risks we've taken from the ones that caused such loss in order to make ourselves feel safer. I've done it, and I'll bet most of you have done it sometime in your lives, whether it's while driving, at work, jaywalking, or in the backcountry. That's a normal and understandable coping mechanism, even if it's not exactly rational.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Thank you for that article...in the "national" reports I'd heard, nothing was said of back-country protocol, but some off-hand comments left me with the impression that they were following good back-country protocol (news reports really are very bad at reporting this kind of thing).

My condolences to family and friends...

Kim Kircher

Certified Ski Diva
I spoke to a friend of mine who used to patrol at Stevens. The gate was open and the patrol had not gotten any results inbounds that morning during avalanche control. Yes, the NWAC had posted the hazard as high, but they were skiing one at a time, using best practices, and carrying all the right gear. It was simply a tragic accident.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I spoke to a friend of mine who used to patrol at Stevens. The gate was open and the patrol had not gotten any results inbounds that morning during avalanche control. Yes, the NWAC had posted the hazard as high, but they were skiing one at a time, using best practices, and carrying all the right gear. It was simply a tragic accident.

Thank you.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Thank you for posting this link.

Thank you for your eloquent words that inform and comfort.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga