• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spring/Slush Skiing

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure wish I had the problem of not bruising easily. I just have to THINK about bruising and one will appear. :o So that's why arnica is my friend! :rolleyes:

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
num said:
Persee, I'm like that too, I can count all the bruises I've gotten on one hand. Probably some combination of darker skin and an immunity built up from lots of banging into things boxing and wrestling with my brothers, hehe.

Well I can't blame darker skin - I'm very fair skinned - but I was definitely a tomboy as a kid so I didn't need any brothers. I always had to outclimb the boys in the big tree down the street, etc :smile:

But the arnica may get some use this weekend. A friend just had a bad experience with an IV and the back of her hand is very blue...

altagirl

Staff member
I wish bruising was something I could build up an immunity to. I race downhill mountain bikes and I'm a black and blue mess most of the summer. I bruise easily compared to my husband, but I don't think I bruise that easily compared to the average woman. They're mostly well deserved...

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's so funny. I'm afraid to go out in shorts in the summer because I've always got bruised and scratched legs from mountain biking. 2 years ago, I did a 'superman' face first while trying to nail a kicker over a creek....broke the visor off my helmet, cracked a rib, and jammed my sunglasses into my face. The black eye and scrapes I got made my co-workers think I was beaten by the hubby until I brought in the pics of me and the bike all battered and muddy. They all think I'm a serious weirdo.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm definitely not shy about my battle scars though. Last time I needed stitches in my ankle I got dressed up in a mini-skirt and heels and we went out to dinner... with 20 some stitches and a big gash in the back of my leg. :D

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl said:
I'm definitely not shy about my battle scars though. Last time I needed stitches in my ankle I got dressed up in a mini-skirt and heels and we went out to dinner... with 20 some stitches and a big gash in the back of my leg. :D

I would have LOVED to see that! I'll bet people went :eek: when they saw all those stitches. :D

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl said:

That probably would have made me squeamish. I'd keep looking at those stitches and thinking about how much my leg would hurt like that... And even after I didn't see it anymore my mind would keep picturing it on my leg and making it even worse...

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl said:

I love it, altagirl. I'm the same way. Nothing complements battlescars like a nice dress :D .

snowsprite

Diva in Training
I would say, fat skis and/or twin tips...and relax the legs to absorb in the variable terrain/bumps. I know I don't look in good form skiing the slush...but I'm sure having fun!
:smile:
Sprite

altagirl

Staff member
snowsprite said:
I would say, fat skis and/or twin tips...and relax the legs to absorb in the variable terrain/bumps. I know I don't look in good form skiing the slush...but I'm sure having fun!
Sprite

Sprite!! I just joined here like a month ago - glad to see ya! :D You should head out here and ski the spring slush with us!

snowsprite

Diva in Training
Altagirl...that's SO tempting! :smile:

I am going to Mammoth from 4/25-30 for the mini though. Next season I hope to descend on UT again though. I never skiied Alta, I wish you'd show me around your name-sake!
Sprite

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl, I dragged snowsprite over here so she could join my Jay Peak Diva Gathering. ;)

Snowsprite is not the only one here who wants to ski Alta with altagirl. Hmmmm....might need to make that happen! :D

altagirl

Staff member
Thatsagirl said:
Altagirl, I dragged snowsprite over here so she could join my Jay Peak Diva Gathering. ;)

Snowsprite is not the only one here who wants to ski Alta with altagirl. Hmmmm....might need to make that happen! :D

Well come on out you guys! That would be fun! :D

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl said:
Well come on out you guys! That would be fun! :D

I'm thinking we need to make this happen next season...

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just had to chime in since skiing at Steamboat last week was my first time skiing in pretty slushy snow. Mornings were tougher for me because of the ice. Once it softened up into slush (or glue as hubby calls it) I was in heaven. I'd rather ski that than ice any day.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl said:
Carving is certainly fun. everywhere. But, the way I see it, you need more in your repertoire than just carving to be really goodIf you're in tight chutes, picking your way through rocks, etc... Carve, carve, sideslip straight down the fall line, carve, smear, big turns, little turns...

This is some of the best advice out there, as women skiers we tend to get into a rythmn of making one turn that is most comfortable to us. Mixing it up opens up so much more terrain and will increase your confidence tenfold. Don't forget to practice the swoop too. This will save your bacon in a time of need.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's "the swoop"?

It's interesting who likes hard snow and who likes the slush. I used to think it was number of years on snow that determined this. Now I just think it has to do with what everyone is used to, and whether your gear is appropriate for the change underfoot.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
le swoop

The swoop is a j or counter-turn with an exaggerated knee flex (keep your tush over your heels.) The idea is to speed check, take a quick look and and pop back into the next turn. ( you can also use it if you get into a sticky terrain situation and don't want to side-slip or if it's to icy to side slip) I use it alot in the trees, if the line tightens up I swoop find a new one and keep going, I had to use two in a chute this year after finding a bunch of snowboarders sideslipped through and exposed a bunch of rock in the middle. In this case you can look for a good (not a moat but the inlet in the cliffs, I can't remember what their called ) downhill and point your skis through the narrow area and then swoop into and duck back out of the inlet thing to get back in control. Others use it to maintain speed in big bumps. I get advice from my nine year old on how to ski bumps, so I am not the one to tell you how that is done. Someone ought to be showing me that one.

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm resurrecting this thread, as I got my arse handed to me yesterday in some deep slush. The conditions freaked me out so much that my technique disappeared completely, making everything ten times harder to do. Took me half an hour to get down an open bowl filled with mashed potatoes and old avalanche debris. Of course, I was skiing with people much better than me, who sailed through the mank and then were stuck waiting for me at the bottom (they were extremely gracious about having to wait; they really couldn't have been nicer about it).

Oh, and when I finally made it down, I hooked an edge, took a header in front of everybody, and burst into tears. So not just abject terror, but also a nice big dose of humiliation. Fun times.

I woke up last night with my heart racing thinking about it. Skiing ought to be fun, not flashback-inducing. I wondered what on earth I'm doing, who I'm kidding trying to do this.

The funny thing is, I skied slush at Whistler last week and really did have fun. I guess it was colder slush, that hadn't been baking in the sun. I felt that I'd made really great strides over the course of the season, and had been skiing well. But yesterday it all fell apart and I felt I was back to square one.

On the plus side - I actually preferred to be in the moguls, as it was much easier to turn my skis on top of the bumps. That's a first. I usually avoid bumps if I have any alternative.

Also, I'm grateful that I made it down without getting injured.

Anyway - the mountain that spanked me is open again next weekend, and I'm debating whether to throw in the towel for the season or go back and try again. It IS May, after all. Time to do other things, like biking. But if I don't go, I'm going to feel that I ended the season on a bad note... :(

It's heartening to read this thread see that I'm not alone; that other people have trouble with slush as well. I'm definitely going to invest in fat skis next year; sounds like they might make things a little easier.

Oh man! I think my Sweet Fat Thangs may be getting an inaugural work-out this weekend! Now....where can I get them waxed???????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga