• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Solo in Utah -on a budget

mustski

Angel Diva
BTW the deal at what was then the Ogden Marriott was $199 a night, including 2 lift tickets to Snowbasin. Still a heck of a deal, considering list price for those tix is $82 EACH. It's now called the Summit; hoping they'll do that deal again.

You can take the Trax train from the airport to the SLC central transit station, then the Front Runner to Ogden, Monday-Saturday. The Summit Hotel is 2 blocks from the Ogden train station. If I can walk it carrying my boot bag and skis, just about anyone can.
Thanks for the correction, GM. I forgot that deal was based on double occupancy.

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, thanks for all that response. I was thinking January as it is usually really quiet and work, and I am as much a ski mountaineer as downhiller and later in the season is better in Scotland and the rest of Europe later in the season. It does all sound a bit scarey price-wise, and I don't think I could cope with throwing myself into Diva Week with a big bunch of strangers, although you are all so nice to offer advice. The shuttles from Sandy / Ogden - what sort of time do they take? I will sit down and cost it up with passes as well as accomm, and see maybe I need to stay closer to home after all. Thanks everyone

mustski

Angel Diva
Wow, thanks for all that response. I was thinking January as it is usually really quiet and work, and I am as much a ski mountaineer as downhiller and later in the season is better in Scotland and the rest of Europe later in the season. It does all sound a bit scarey price-wise, and I don't think I could cope with throwing myself into Diva Week with a big bunch of strangers, although you are all so nice to offer advice. The shuttles from Sandy / Ogden - what sort of time do they take? I will sit down and cost it up with passes as well as accomm, and see maybe I need to stay closer to home after all. Thanks everyone
After a week, we won't be strangers any more!

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva
I skied solo in Utah march this year. I was on a very tight budget and stayed at the Midvale Super 8, very reasonable- including lift tickets and ski shuttle.The hotel has has a hot tub and the ski shuttle stop is a 2 minute walk away.Lots of places to eat close by. The hotel is full of skiers( mostly men).check out the reviews on trip advisor.

Ski shuttle runs every 20 minutes or so to both Alta, snowbird or Brighton and Solitude..

train connection to city is a 5 minute bus ride.

I skied mostly at Alta, Solitude and Brighton are also definitely worth a couple of visits.

I met loads of people, you will have a great time.............I mostly skiied alone and relished it, but everyone( young and old) talks to the single woman on a chairlft!

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, good to have a specific tip to search on. How long does the resort shuttle take from the likes of Midvale / Sandy was the other one mentioned. Ive googled and difficult to track down the duration rather than regularity. much appreciated, thanks

I skied solo in Utah march this year. I was on a very tight budget and stayed at the Midvale Super 8, very reasonable- including lift tickets and ski shuttle.The hotel has has a hot tub and the ski shuttle stop is a 2 minute walk away.Lots of places to eat close by. The hotel is full of skiers( mostly men).check out the reviews on trip advisor.

Ski shuttle runs every 20 minutes or so to both Alta, snowbird or Brighton and Solitude..

train connection to city is a 5 minute bus ride.

I skied mostly at Alta, Solitude and Brighton are also definitely worth a couple of visits.

I met loads of people, you will have a great time.............I mostly skiied alone and relished it, but everyone( young and old) talks to the single woman on a chairlft!

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tracked it down - 45 minutes each way (that's more than I commute to work :crazy: not sure that sounds like a holiday. hmm rethink required maybe :confused:

marzNC

Angel Diva
tracked it down - 45 minutes each way (that's more than I commute to work :crazy: not sure that sounds like a holiday. hmm rethink required maybe :confused:
The alternative is to consider getting a dorm room in one of the lodges at Alta, or stay in one of the places that has a shuttle to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain, or find lodging in Park City. From Park City, it's possible to get a shuttle for a day or two at Alta/Snowbird.

If you want quiet, lots of skiing, and no crowds, Grand Targhee is a few hours bus ride from SLC. The price at the ski in/out lodging is less than around SLC.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For fun, I followed the link. I couldn't find any hotel listings. Am I just being a tech geek?

https://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=RidingUTA-SkiService

It's in the fine print . . . the map has small lists of motels/hotels for the stops that are close to a collection of them.

For people who opt to rent a car, but don't want to deal with driving on a snowy road, can park in a ParkNRide lot and catch the ski bus. However, better to park in a lot farther away because the buses get packed on powder days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Took a ride on the UTA ski bus after spending a few hours in SLC (shopping :smile:) with litterbug during my last stay at Alta Lodge. The fare was $4.50, which had to paid in dollar bills or coins if don't have a pass. There are transit tokens that are worth $2.50, so still need another $2. We learned that the local grocery chains sell tokens in packs of 10.

The buses seemed pretty much on time. I waited at the ParkNRide lot at the base of BCC. Several teens came down the canyon and were picked up by someone in a car after a short wait. A few were wearing ski boots or snowboard boots. Most likely they were at Brighton.

Two separate waiting areas. One for UP canyon and the other for DOWN. Building at the end of the parking lot has restrooms at this lot.
UTA ski bus - 1.jpg

Ski holding area inside the ski bus. Not many seats.
UTA ski bus - 2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga