• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So who's still open?

abc

Banned
I guess I just draw my line at walking through yards of mud that I was sinking below the toes of my boots in. The baking mud smelled bad, there were flies hovering and it was just all around gross.
Now that you mentioned it, I totally agree. It depends on what state the mud is. Sometimes it can be real bad.

Last year, I was skiing at Gore on one of its late days, there's a field of mud one has to trudge through to get from the end of the run to the lodge. And the field of mud was exactly as you described: smelly & gross! Putting the wet ski/boots back in the car, knowning they went through that crap at the end of the last run, gave me much worse feel than anything else.

I wish the mountain would leave a hose out for us sissy's to wash our smelly gear before thour e 4 hr drive home. (after all, they do provide hoses for cleaning the bike during mtn biking operation season)

iamOshawott

Certified Ski Diva
Blackcomb is open till May 26. It has been snowing up there, 3" in the past 24 hours, I will be up there this weekend!

I'm also thinking about heading to Mt. Hood in the summer for some summer skiing or glacial skiing on Blackcomb. :D

abc

Banned
What happens is that it gets below freezing at night, so everything "sets up" pretty firm. Minimal grooming now, maybe a dozen runs per night. Patrol ropes the "solid" runs until/if they soften, then ropes drop. Last Sunday (last warm day that I was there), it started out firm but quickly softened between 11-12.

There are bare spots coming now, and the rain from 8 days ago turned certain sections of some runs to glacial ice - that is NOT going to soften. Overall, it's still quite a bit of terrain, although the glades might not be skiable at this point (they are open but....). Snow pack could well be receding from the base at this point. They do "farm" snow to the main quad. The MO is to stay above a certain elevation (which is clearly marked by a cross-cut) - that snow usually makes it for the duration. Then the trek to the base can be adventuresome, but - it's spring. :smile:
That's another part of the season the interior west (Rockies) does better than the northeast. They have the huge temperature swing between day and night which produces true corn snow, which is almost as enjoyable as fresh powder.

Here in the east, we tend to swing instead from 60 degrees day time temperature to only 40 at night, so slushfest for a few days, then back to 20-30 so the slopes are luge runs till 3pm! It's only by chance one come upon a few days of good temperature range for true "spring cron harvest".

I've taken to slaying slushy bumps on warm days. But I do wish for those rare chance of ripping the groomer when it's in the right consistancy.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's always interesting to see how "open" places are at this time of year though. I've skied at Jay when they were open in the spring, but you had to walk through mud to get back to the lifts from somewhere on the trail where the snow stops. Not that much fun to me after the first novel experience! :smile:

Ugh, you have to take off your skis and carry them through the mud to the lift??? I hope they give you a serious discount on the price. It's not like that here. We have very cool springs many feet of snow remain in the mountains until summer--alpine hiking season doesn't start here until mid-July. The closures are due to lack of business, forest service lease conditions, etc, rather than lack of snow.

I forgot that Alpental will be open until May 5. Their Cinco de Mayo party is a big event.

Crystal got 6" new last night and 12" in the last few days. It looks really nice up there. They are closed on weekdays and it's funny to see the parking lot snow covered and pristine Too bad my boots are kaput.

10176142_10152053629695233_4464686032659347099_n.jpg

Last edited:

abc

Banned
Ugh, you have to take off your skis and carry them through the mud to the lift??? I hope they give you a serious discount on the price.
They typically do.

Like, $19~$29 lift ticket. Some cases even FREE on the last day the mountain is open

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a pretty picture (Crystal, right?) but it vaguely reminded me of the hotel in The Shining.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whiteface is considering opening this weekend if the weather cooperates.
Whiteface just announced that they have decided to close for the season and will NOT be open this weekend. :cry:

abc

Banned
Well, the weather this weekend isn't exactly great, with high probability of some moderate amount of rain.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Well, the weather this weekend isn't exactly great, with high probability of some moderate amount of rain.
Not here. REALLY cooled down (mean wind, too), barely out of 40's all weekend and next week in the higher elevations. Just talked to someone who lives up that way - 2" of snow last night.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta will be open for two more weekends (Fri-Sun), but just the Sunnyside and Collins lifts. Last day is May 4. I know Alta Lodge closed on April 20 and guessing that the other lodges in Alta are done for the winter season as well.

Snowbird will be open for a while yet. But with limited terrain. Peruvian, Gad2, GadZoom, Baldy, and Mid Gad are closed, leaving Chickadee, Wilbere, Little Cloud, Mineral Basin Express, and the Tram open. LCC got a few inches of fresh snow overnight so those still around could hunt for softer lines on the upper mountain. Chair-only passes are allowed on the tram.
So opening daily ends at Snowbird the second weekend in May. After that, it's Fri-Sun for 8:00am-2:30pm for the Tram and Little Cloud, with Mineral Basin in the mornings depending on conditions. Wet avalanches are possible in Mineral Basin when it's warming up fast. Never really paid attention to the details before.

abc

Banned
Not here. REALLY cooled down (mean wind, too), barely out of 40's all weekend and next week in the higher elevations. Just talked to someone who lives up that way - 2" of snow last night.
Yeah, looks like you guys might get snow rather than rain. Though this time of year, I'm not sure I'm in the mood to take dust on crust any more. Corn or slush seems a lot more reliable... :wink:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Some friends were going to Jay today so I await their report. Wet snow in the forecast here and not very warm temps in the days ahead. St. Sauveur is opening for the weekend and we're kind of thinking of maybe going Sunday - but the big draw would be sun and burgers on the deck, and it doesn't look all that promising. I bet Tremblant is stilll good - problem is it's closed. Darn.

Jilly

Staff member
OMG - Blue Mountain in Collingwood Ontario is opening for the weekend. Not sure how much or what, but it makes it the longest season ever!! (Not going 3 1/2 hr drive.....)

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG - Blue Mountain in Collingwood Ontario is opening for the weekend. Not sure how much or what, but it makes it the longest season ever!! (Not going 3 1/2 hr drive.....)
Link please? I did not see it on their website

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, and Kirkwood are open until Sunday. After Sunday, Alpine may stay open weekends only. Lake Tahoe did not have a great ski season. I have been at Northstar the last couple of weeks. It closed last Sunday and has been snowing all day long today! Went for a fun hike in the snow today, but skied Wednesday @Squaw Valley and Thursday @ Kirkwood.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga