• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So who's planning to watch Apres Ski?

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I watched it all, agree with all the comments and hope it gets better. Will watch a few to see. I am not even rich and thought the "Services" we're pretty lame

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watched the first episode online. 47 minutes of my day that I can't get back. It was TERRIBLE. As soon as I saw the one girl walking through Whistler Village wearing a mini-dress and stilletos I knew it was going to be even worse than what I expected.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I will say that the helicopter ride to the hot spring looked pretty dang sweet. I'd do that in a heartbeat! But not with a... concierge... So that was cool.

And yeah... city girl or not, you would think ANYONE with a grain of sense would know that heels & snow do NOT mix! LOL.

Christy

Angel Diva
Another article about Lynsey Dyer's participation in Apres Ski and why it's not the sell out you might think it is, this time in Outside Magazine.

I hate it when people accuse someone--whether it's a musician who sold a song for a commercial, or Lynsey doing this--of "selling out." I think it was Tony Bourdain who said that you've sold out the first time you accept money for something you'd rather not do, and who hasn't? For most of us that's the very definition of work. And athletes like Lynsey, or musicians, artists, etc, don't exactly have guaranteed career paths and a 401K. If they feel good about the opportunity, no one should judge them personally. (Though I'm all for judging this show :smile: )

I'm surprised she was allowed to talk about this at all--usually there are confidentiality agreements.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Yup, I got say, it was super easy to judge Lyndsey for this. Disturbing easily. But in the two articles I've read where she explains her choice, I gotta say that I've ended up having even more respect for her. She tried something. It didn't work. So what???? Don't we tell people all the time that it's better to try and fail than to never try at all? And why do we have to keep repeating that platitude? Because failing in front of others is HARD. It's embarrassing. But I really love Lyndsey's attitude about this- she's OK with trying something and it not "working out" per se. She's willing to take a risk to reach a larger audience. SheJumps, the organization she helped found, has stickers and banner that say "What would DARE to accomplish if you knew SUCCESS was the only option?" I think she's living that mantra and I gotta give her mad props for that.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just watched it on the Bravo website - until the first commercial. It absolutely met my expectations of bad acting, tired cliches, and sexual innuendo.

I wonder if Lindsey Dyer will appear as a skier or as a sellout to a reality show.

In the first series she barely appeared to be involved at all. I liked that she supposedly didn't recognize who her boss was.

mustski

Angel Diva
I think it looked like Lynsey was having fun. I see nothing wrong with that. It's fun to film a TV show - even a bad one.

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally watched episode 1, or tried... i fell asleep about 10 min. in. Obviously I was captivated. Haha....

ellae

Certified Ski Diva
Yup, I got say, it was super easy to judge Lyndsey for this. Disturbing easily. But in the two articles I've read where she explains her choice, I gotta say that I've ended up having even more respect for her. She tried something. It didn't work. So what???? Don't we tell people all the time that it's better to try and fail than to never try at all? And why do we have to keep repeating that platitude? Because failing in front of others is HARD. It's embarrassing. But I really love Lyndsey's attitude about this- she's OK with trying something and it not "working out" per se. She's willing to take a risk to reach a larger audience. SheJumps, the organization she helped found, has stickers and banner that say "What would DARE to accomplish if you knew SUCCESS was the only option?" I think she's living that mantra and I gotta give her mad props for that.

I was initially excited to see her on the show, but I agree with you that the interviews portray that her desire to do this was for a great reason. The episode last night (I've watched all of them because I still have so much hope for it) featured her standing up for guests that expressed their desire to hit the slopes, which their boss fully dismissed. It also showed her encouraging a scared guest to ride the mega zipline. She's a really positive person on the show, and so drama-free, while their boss is the quintessential Bravo personality. She is such a great role model, and if this show results in lots of parents bringing their children to the mountains, and then those kids falling in love with the snow, then GREAT!!

There's a world full of winter-haters out there and we need to make them understand that 1) there is plenty to love about winter, and 2) winter is in danger. Lynsey is a part of the POW (Protect Our Winters) riders alliance, so I hope her presence on the show is able to draw attention to and raise awareness of Protect Our Winters.

EDIT: I would also like to add that they should consult a videographer who has experience filming skiing/snowboarding. Whenever they're on snow, it makes me motion sick.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
I watched a 3rd episode and Lynsey was back and, finally, there was some heli-skiing footage. Other than that, the show doesn't offer a lot.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm at Whistler right now and reading the local paper today, I saw a letter from a family from London who have vacationed here for the last seven years. They are so appalled at the show that they say that next year, in protest of the kind of behavior exhibited on the show, that they'll be going to Banff instead. Quote: "We hope Whisler re-brands itself back to a winter wonderland resort where skiing and family fun are priorities over drunken stupidity."

ellae

Certified Ski Diva
The worst part about that is they'll probably do nothing, including not addressing the family, hoping that the show piques the interest of viewers. I wish they would show more of the actual mountain. They do a terrible job capturing one of the most raved about mountains in the world.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like the show is not aiming to advertise Whistler for tourists but rather to attract younger crowd by showing some rather stereotypical ski resort shenanigans. Or maybe not even to attract anyone but to show the part of life in resorts that visitors don't always see. I can see how families might be not very happy about it, but I am not sure if it's at all possible to address families in a show that's advertised as showing professional and personal lives of basically a chalet company's employees with some skiing involved and not as a ski movie or movie about skiing. Not watching, so can't tell how close to reality it is, probably it's full of silly dramas and exaggerations, but then again many things do happen in ski resorts.

mustski

Angel Diva
It's pretty much a show about catering to the whims of the extremely rich - most of whom apparently neither ski nor board. I'm not sure I understand the point.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^this is what happens in the ski resorts too and this is what some people's jobs probably involve. I suspect the point is, as with much of the television, to give people something to kill their time with.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm starting to think that this show is being used to boost winter tourism in Whistler for non-skiers/snowboarders. It's starting to have a very, "There are lots of other things to do in Whistler besides ski!" feel.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm starting to think that this show is being used to boost winter tourism in Whistler for non-skiers/snowboarders. It's starting to have a very, "There are lots of other things to do in Whistler besides ski!" feel.

I came to the same conclusion. I wonder if W-B had the idea then shopped it around to producers, and if the company was invented just for purposes of the show. There's so much product placement in the show (in terms of restaurants/bars/businesses that are shown) that it's definitely an ad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna