• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what happened at Killington with those lost skiers?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This happens way too often at Killington. Pity it was such a large group -- and what the heck were they thinking, taking kids out there on the coldest day/night of the year? Not to mention the danger they put all the rescuers through. It's extremely easy to get lost in the backcountry at Killington; if you don't know the area, you can easily get turned around. And there is NOTHING back there, for a long, long time. Lucky for them they didn't have to spend all night out there, and that no one was killed. I suspect they'll be looking at a pretty hefty bill from Killington Search and Rescue.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just came across this article that one of the people having to be rescued was an employee of the resort.. he was rightfully fired.

However, in the article it also mentioned that Killington is still assessing if they will take everyone’s passes away for ducking the rope. I mean.. how can that be a question??? Enforce the policy, and make a an example of these people for others to think twice next time. Not a good look if they waffle on that, yet they supposedly have a new program trying to make the mountain safer from bad behavior. I cannot fathom what this many people had to be thinking.. not only did they break the rules (which I believe everyone knows getting caught ducking ropes has the potential of your pass being pulled) but they brought 6 kids along too with apparently no actual knowledge of what the heck they were doing in dangerously cold conditions. Amazingly baffling all around.

Christy

Angel Diva
Someone in the Facebook comments who said they were in the group said it was a lesson, but I have no way of knowing if that's true.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Someone in the Facebook comments who said they were in the group said it was a lesson, but I have no way of knowing if that's true.

After posting this I did see someone on SkiTalk say that the employee was instructing a Woodward Program.. perhaps where the kids came from. But that there were at least two other separate groups that perhaps followed them or their tracks. Not sure if there was any connection to the other groups and this program.. If that is the case, I could see the gray line and potential liability issue for the resort if it was an instructor in uniform ducking ropes. Hard to wrap one’s head around someone going rogue that way in a lesson.. Can’t imagine they had special permission to go out of bounds with the lesson if they were fired and had employee housing taken away so swiftly.. Unless we go conspiracy theory like and think this person was a scapegoat due to how it turned out and the bad press. But that doesn’t feel right, otherwise there would have been more safety nets in place and check ins I’d think. I do feel better that it at least wasn’t likely to be a bunch of clueless parents taking their kids out of bounds that way, very curious how old the instructor was.. Dare we guess a youngish male..? I’d be shocked silly if any female would choose to make such a massively stupid choice in general, putting their job and housing at risk, never mind with a bunch of kids you’re responsible for.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The best overview of the situation I've seen so far. There were separate groups that all made a decision to duck a rope.

January 23, 2024
". . .
I phoned up Drew Clymer, the SAR coordinator for the Vermont State Police, who helped organize the operation, to try and understand how so many people got lost at the same time. Apparently, four different groups of skiers and boarders who were enjoying a day of skiing and riding at Killington Resort made the unfortunate decision to duck the ropes atop the Snowdon Six Express lift and head into the backcountry.

“These were all front-side resort skiers,” Clymer said. “We were rescuing skiers in the backcountry, but that doesn’t mean they were backcountry skiers.”

They descended into a steep gully called Brewers Brook that is known to accumulate powder. But when the skiers and boarders reached the bottom, they realized what lay ahead: a 2.5-mile boot-pack out over steep and icy terrain. They were cold and tired and lost. According to Clymer, nobody had touring equipment like climbing skins or splitboards. In total, 21 skiers and snowboarders were down there together—six were children. Multiple people in the party eventually called 911.
. . ."

elemmac

Angel Diva
Makes me wonder what type of signage is actually at the top of that lift, where they ducked the rope. I know at Sunday River there are ropes or a sign on a tree that states "Ski Area Boundary" without anything else. there are a handful of places you can leave the resort boundary and get back easily...and people do it all the time. In the Outside article posted above, it states that this isn't the first time they had to rescue 5 people last Thursday, and another 15 on Friday. Though, this ultimately falls on the responsibility of the parties involved, I would think that Killington would have made it super clear that there's no way back to the resort, or something...maybe add netting to the entrance rather than just a rope? I don't know....something. If there are tracks, people will follow them.

However, in the article it also mentioned that Killington is still assessing if they will take everyone’s passes away for ducking the rope. I mean.. how can that be a question??? Enforce the policy, and make a an example of these people for others to think twice next time. Not a good look if they waffle on that, yet they supposedly have a new program trying to make the mountain safer from bad behavior. I cannot fathom what this many people had to be thinking.. not only did they break the rules (which I believe everyone knows getting caught ducking ropes has the potential of your pass being pulled) but they brought 6 kids along too with apparently no actual knowledge of what the heck they were doing in dangerously cold conditions. Amazingly baffling all around.
Initially, I had the same thought. But if this was indeed a lesson or resort guide, or anything of that nature...I'm not really sure if those that were in the lesson should be punished in that way. However, I do think that anyone that did it on their own should have their pass pulled, and I agree with the firing of the employee (regardless on if they were on the clock or not).

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
It's been quite a long time since I've skied Killington, but it certainly seems like a place where the signage should be very explicit. How do you even get out of there without needing to be rescued? It seems like the only place you could end up is a trailhead, which *maybe* has cars at it in the wintertime? Do locals who ski this sidecountry stash a car there?

Not that that excuses the rope ducking, but I do find it surprising that Killington doesn't have some signage up there making it clear that there's no way back to the resort, especially since it sounds like this is a recurring issue.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 7.59.29 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-24 at 7.59.57 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
There was a picture posted elsewhere in the woods that has pink rope indicating the ski area boundary and a sign that said at the bottom “point of no return”.

I’m sure actual backcountry skiers with a planned route etc. would know where to go out of bounds there. This sounds like a bunch of people who saw tracks and assumed there was a way to go? Outside of the employee who surely should have known better all around.

@elemmac I agree that anyone in a tour or class should not have passes pulled.. if they are following an employee, and are children especially, they surely shouldn’t be blamed and punished. I’m sure they learned a good lesson regardless. Others that followed are a different story. And yeah if this is such a regular occurrence, why isn’t it more explicitly signed all over? Or perhaps there are so many ways out that it isn’t feasible, as you should well be following the rule of not going outside of the resort boundary by ducking ropes. ESPECIALLY if you have no clue where you’re going.. the whole saying of “if you don’t know, don’t go” really is complete common sense in this sort of situation.

elemmac

Angel Diva
It's been quite a long time since I've skied Killington, but it certainly seems like a place where the signage should be very explicit. How do you even get out of there without needing to be rescued? It seems like the only place you could end up is a trailhead, which *maybe* has cars at it in the wintertime? Do locals who ski this sidecountry stash a car there?
One of the articles I read (might have been the Outside one), mentioned that it's a gully that collect a bunch of snow, but once you get to the bottom, it's almost completely flat...and a 2.5 mile walk out. So, presumably, I would think this would be a great place for some sidecountry if you know where you're going and have skins/snowshoes to get out.

MissySki

Angel Diva
One of the articles I read (might have been the Outside one), mentioned that it's a gully that collect a bunch of snow, but once you get to the bottom, it's almost completely flat...and a 2.5 mile walk out. So, presumably, I would think this would be a great place for some sidecountry if you know where you're going and have skins/snowshoes to get out.
The quote @marzNC posted above called the 2.5 mile boot pack out steep and icy.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the piece from the local paper, The Mountain Times:

23 rescued from Killington’s backcountry in sub-zero temps​

January 24, 2024
Photo-Credit-Bob-Giolito-Rescuers-searching-for-21-lost-skiers-snowboarding-IMG_0085-778x1024.jpeg
By Bob Giolito
Volunteers search for missing skiers/riders via the Bucklin Trail in Mendon.

By Victoria Gaither and Polly Mikula

On Saturday, Jan. 20, multiple groups of skiers and snowboarders, including six juveniles (two of whom were 5 years old), ventured past Killington Ski Resort boundaries and ended up lost in the backcountry, in an area called Brewers Brook with the closest road, Wheelerville Road, about 2 1/2 miles away in Mendon.

In total 23 people were safely rescued.

Killington Resort confirmed that an employee was in the group and that person was immediately terminated.

“Several groups of skiers and riders went under a rope and out of Killington Ski Resort’s boundary in violation of Killington’s policy,” the resort stated. “911 was called to assist. Rescue Inc., Killington Search and Rescue (KSAR), Killington Fire/Rescue, Killington Resort Ski Patrol, and State PSAP/Dispatch responded quickly and expertly, located all individuals safely, and without incident or injury. We would like to thank our Ski Patrol, all of the volunteers, and first responders who responded on Saturday.”

“Safety of our staff and guests is our number one priority at Killington. As such, the Skier Responsibility Code is posted around the resort as well as on our website, and states that all skiers and riders must ‘Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas’,” the resort’s statement concluded.

Kristel Killary, brand marketing and communications manager at Killington Resort, added that the resort is “looking into pulling passes but have not made a decision on that at this time.”

9-1-1 dispatchers received the first call at about 2:30 p.m., which spurred multiple agencies into action.

Drew Clymer, search and rescue coordinator for the state’s department of public safety, helped to coordinate the response between agencies.

“Because of the makeup of the groups, conditions, etc. we had to send people in for the rescue quickly,” Clymer explained.

The temperatures were in the low single digits, before windchill — and dropping, Police Chief Whit Montgomery said.

Initially, dispatch communicated to the teams that there were seven to nine skiers and snowboarders lost, but more calls followed leading to a total of 23 people needing assistance out of the woods.

In the first rescue effort, which began at 2:30 p.m., two or three different groups met up with each other in the backcountry and collectively 19 were rescued, Montgomery explained.

Around 5:30 p.m. dispatch received another call from a second group of two, which required a smaller team of rescue members from KSAR and Rescue, Inc. to go back to the same region.

Photo-Credit-Killington-Police-Department-Skiers-and-snowboarders-rescued-from-backcountry-in-Killington.--1024x768.jpeg
Courtesy Killington Police Dept.
A group of 21 rescued skiers and riders hike out of the backcountry via the Bucklin Trail.

“The team had the last group out of the woods at approximately 7:30 p.m.,” Montgomery reported.

Bob Giolito, director of KSAR, has extensive experience and certification in the backcountry, is the founder of Killington Mountain Guides and also spent 20 years in Vermont law enforcement. “Over the years, you just know the terrain that people end up in,” he said.

An operation this size not only takes people power but also coordination between many different agencies, Clymer explained.

On Saturday, KSAR deployed 12 members to the backcountry (it currently has 21 active members) and Rescue, inc. added another six to the mission, so in total there were about 18 rescuers actively searching and helping people navigate the 2 1/2 miles out to the Bucklin Trailhead.

Giolito and two other KSAR members headed out quickly with light gear to try and make contact with the lost skiers and riders as quickly as possible, while nine other KSAR members followed with more supplies and equipment. About half a dozen members of Rescue, Inc. were also deployed in the search. Chris Roy, Killington policeman, was stationed at the base of the Bucklin Trail on Wheelerville Road, Montgomery said.

In 2023, after many contentious months with a new fire chief’s leadership, dozens of KSAR members resigned. After some dust had settled, the Killington Select Board voted to move KSAR from the fire department to the police department. Some former KSAR volunteers have rejoined KSAR, but others now serve under Rescue, Inc. a regional organization based Brattleboro.

Rescuers Dave Coppock and Joel Blumenthal are two who now volunteer with Rescue Inc. On Saturday, they showed up with “a determination like no other,” according to Bob Giolito and Drew Clymer.

“Dave found the group of 18, so Dave hung back and was standing in the woods by himself, and he picked up another who was about to call 911,” said Clymer.

Joel Blumenthal was on it the whole time and never gave up, making sure the lost were found, Clymer added.

“Team members hiked, snowshoed, and skinned approximately 5 miles in frigid temperatures to bring the 21 lost people home,” Montgomery said in a statement. “Those [KSAR members] who deploy into the backcountry are fit and certified in WFA [Wilderness First Aid] at a minimum, with some team members being certified Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (WEMT), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), National Ski Patrol, Outdoor Emergency Care (NSP/OEC), Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Vermont Emergency First Responder (VEFR) and CPR.”

“Ski Patrol is also a tremendous asset with such searches,” added Montgomery. “Many times they will be put in contact with those lost and determined where they entered the woods and where they are. This gives us a good starting point on where to search and saves time getting to those in need.”

Usually, dispatch, rescuers and or ski patrols are able to get lost skiers’/riders’ GPS coordinates from their cell phone and can often coach them over the phone to safety, but that night was different.

“Going out of boundaries in cold weather. You are putting everyone at risk — frostbite, hypothermia, and if someone breaks a leg or goes into shock faster, the body shuts down,” said Giolito.

Due to the coordinated efforts, all 21 were brought to safety with no significant injuries.

“This all comes together as a unified search, with many different groups and individuals coming together to work as one solid unit. Searches like this are very complex, with a lot of moving parts,” Montgomery said.

Tvan

Angel Diva
In below zero windchills, someone took TWO 5 year olds into the backcountry.
:tape:
Right???? I’m trying to imagine a reasonable explanation for that decision.

Christy

Angel Diva
Maybe it was those "there's no such thing as bad weather! Only insufficient clothing!" people.

There IS bad/dangerous weather. For 5 year olds, and for adults. I keep thinking about this after reading about various head scratching/what could they have been thinking with that storm coming rescues this winter here in WA.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This happens way too often at Killington. Pity it was such a large group -- and what the heck were they thinking, taking kids out there on the coldest day/night of the year? Not to mention the danger they put all the rescuers through. It's extremely easy to get lost in the backcountry at Killington; if you don't know the area, you can easily get turned around. And there is NOTHING back there, for a long, long time. Lucky for them they didn't have to spend all night out there, and that no one was killed. I suspect they'll be looking at a pretty hefty bill from Killington Search and Rescue.
I wonder if they'll charge, or even honestly if they ought to. As annoying as it is, it would be far more tragic if someone figured they'd try to walk out and froze to death because they didn't want to get charged thousands for a rescue, or waited and made the rescue more dangerous.

I also wonder about the training for the instructor. If the instructor is new, poorly trained, and the boundary isn't well marked, then firing them doesn't actually solve the problem. It seems so unbelievable to me that "into the backcountry" would be a conscious decision for a children's group instructor that I'm inclined to believe that there was a mistake with training or signage.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is crazy to me that so many people ended up in that situation. I can see the employee being fired, regardless if he/she was with a group of kids. As far as the kids being there, I can just as easily see a group of kids skiing alone thinking it looks cool, especially if they are others going that way. I do have a hard time imagining an instructor who should be well aware of the ski area knowingly taking a group of kids including 5 year olds out of bounds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga