• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So I tried out my new gear....

kit125

Certified Ski Diva
I hit Blue Mountain for a few hours yesterday and got to try my new stuff. I'd never been to Blue before and went alone after dark (probably not my best idea, but I really wanted to get out once before Roxy). Conditions weren't bad, but not great. Many runs were just sheets of ice in large sections. Anyway...I did not love my gear. My boots left me with a nasty blister on my right foot on the bone just below the ankle. I felt my skis were pretty chattery. I just didn't feel like I was driving them. Not sure if this was because of the combination of conditions and my own nerves (first time out, not knowing terrain, new gear). But I need a quick fix for my boot situation for this weekend. I'm traveling on business in the Reading/Philadelphia area and heading up to Vancouver from here. No time to stop at home and check in with my guy at home. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a Buckman's ski shop on Bellvue Ave. in Reading,Pa. They are a good reliable shop. I would get the boots fixed before you head out for your trip.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you were just facing a triple-whammy of first-time-out, unfamiliar terrain, and less than optimal conditions.

New boots might require a few outings before you get a sense of whether they're right for you or not, and you can always work on them with a bootfitter to get some adjustments done.

As for the chattering on the skis, do you think it's because you were pushing them too fast and they were unstable? Or are you talking about ice slippage, which can sometimes be mistaken for chatter? IIRC, you were out west for a while and are recently back in the east, so are you accustomed to skiing in icy conditions? If not, it could take a bit of readaptation.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wick's Ski Shop is in Exton, PA. But before I went there, I'd call Start Haus in Truckee, CA [(530) 582-5781] and talk to Phil. Phil used to be a bootfitter at Wick's and could tell you who at Wick's, if anyone, you should see.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bootfitter should have a solution for a blister problem. I had a blister from my new boots too (though it took 4 days of skiing) and pretty much on the same place only on my left foot. I took boots back to the shop and they are apparently fixed. But just in case I slap compeeds on my ankle bones every weekend, and I use ski socks that have paddings at these places (I was wearing smartwool ultralight which don't have any padding when I got blisters). Maybe I will be fine now even with smartwools, but we have awesome snow conditions and I don't want to take any chances. There is no way I am missing a single weekend on snow until May.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Blue yesterday! That was where my daughter had her first race. I have to tell you…I was TERRIFIED. It was the iciest I have ever skied and my skis didn't even feel like themselves. It was almost as if they had NO edge. I did Nighmare and CHallenge (those were the slopes where I was able to watch) and I have to tell you, I really thought I was going to lose control. I am NEVER that scared. SOOOOO, long story short, I think you shouldn't judge the gear on those conditions because my quads were BURNING from trying to dig into the ice. I honestly think you can't turn on ice like that. you just slide. Good luck with your gear and have fun!

kit125

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am an east coast skier and it's where I learned, that's just been lucky enough to get out West a few times. So, I'm no stranger to ice. I just felt like I was really struggling yesterday. I'm glad that it wasn't just me! But I was so freaked by my own nervousness that I stayed on the blues and greens. I even steered clear of Switchback because it looked steep and icy at the top. I'm sure it would've been a different experience for me if I had gone out earlier in the day with a little more light or had someone with me that knew the terrain. In any event, I've got to get this boot problem fixed! Glad to know there are some places in the area. Hopefully, I can get there before they close!

Thanks again!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What skis were you on? My guess is that skis that would be good for Whistler right now (softer) are not the same skis that would be good for the conditions you described (stiffer).

Jilly

Staff member
That's one stiff ski!! And it likes ice. I'm taking my Conquer's to Whistler. They're softer than my Attraxion 8's.

But that doesn't help your boot issue. That needs to fixed ASAP!

birchrun

Certified Ski Diva
Salter's ski shop has good bootfitting. Mr. Salter, George I believe is his first name, has all the stuff in his shop for proper fitting and a good reputation. It is not far from Reading. https://www.salterski.com/

And, Wick's in Exton is within an hour's drive of Reading, and probably closer. I was just in there the other day and the guy fitting boots seem pretty knowledgeable. And friendly which is a good plus!

In or near Allentown or Quakertown, there is a ski shop called Nestor's. I think Buckman's is taking over so not sure what the status is. I was in Nestor's last year and talked with a guy who seemed to know his stuff.

Buckman's in King of Prussia did not seem like a place I would have wanted any bootfitting done if my visit the other day is any indication.

Good luck! In the meantime, take care of that area and buy some moleskin just in case to help protect it in the boots next time they are on.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My boots left me with a nasty blister on my right foot on the bone just below the ankle.
Take a look at your foot in an unweighted and weighted position: does this bone stick out the same distance - or even farther than - your ankle bone? If so, you are a pronator. What you need is pronation correction with orthotics. This doesn't have to be as rigorous or costly as you might think. You can start with Super Feet insoles that then can be built up to provide the right amount of correction to get this bone in a better position.

Custom insoles, of course, will address this right out the gate. It's $ well spent.

Spoken from someone who, years and years ago, had the identical problem - although mine never was a blister as much as a callous that developed! After correcting my feet, it never happened again. Might not be the boot as much as your feet/arches.

ETA: Blister suggests, to me, that there is also movement inside the boot.

kit125

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you, Lilgeorg for the recommendation of Buckman's! They took great care of me for a lot less than I expected (even with my frivolous impulse buys, it was under $100). Yes, I'm a pronator, and Don (I think) at Buckman's took care of me with some inserts and a little punch in the shell. It felt like night and day when he was done! We'll have to see how it goes at Whistler! And after chatting with the folks in the shop, I hope to get a chance to ski more of the local area. Good people here.

Thanks again!

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry you had a bad day at Blue. I was there earlier in the day on Sunday and it was pretty good compared to earlier in the season. I will admit Saturday was the best I have seen. I know Blue gets icy in the evenings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga