• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowsport Institute

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So you know how Facebook has those ads on the side that just seem to KNOW you....well, it suggested this company www.section8ski.com. Its a company in Vancouver that does 4 and 12 week ski and snowboard courses. You learn instruction techniques, backcountry skills, mountain leadership, and park/bumps/race techniques. The basic course will get you ready for the CSIA level 1 test.
1) Has anyone ever heard of this company before? How is their reputation etc?
2)They say the course is recommended for skiers comfortable on blues and easy blacks, which I am here on the east coast at mid sized resorts, how does that compare to the trails out there? (anyone have experience with Mt. Washington Resort?)
3) Is the CSIA recognized in the US or would I need to take the PSIA test?

Jilly

Staff member
Hopefully my PSIA sisters can help with the certification. I'm thinking not, as the 2 associations have differing levels of certification. We have 4 in Canada, the PSIA has 3 (ladies I have that right?) and different specialization under that.

But you can't teach legally in Canada without a level 1. Each provincal CSIA runs its own level 1 program, so I'm not even sure if Ontario is even the same as Quebec's. The level 1 course is only 4 days here in Ontario. Level 2 and up are administered out of head office in Montreal.

So I guess my question to you is - are you looking for good instruction or getting a certification?

Mountainxtc may know more about this group as its in her area. I hadn't heard of them before, but I like what I see on website. None of instructors names are familiar but that's not surprising with east vs west.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's what I know:

1. There are a gazillion companies that do this now. I have not heard of this one particularly but know that the owner, Tobin, has a good reputation. Note that Mt Washington is on Vancouver Island, not in Vancouver. Not sure if that makes a difference to you. You can take a similar course pretty much anywhere.

2. I have only ever skied a couple days at Mt Washington and found the terrain to be fairly mellow with the exception of the "Boomerang" (IIRC) area on the backside. i think you will be fine. Although probably not the resort to go to if you want to challenge yourself with terrain.

3. The CSIA is recognized in the US. I have no doubt that you would get a job no problem. I think they would probably hire you on condition that you sit your PSIA level 1 or CSIA level 2 though.

If, as Jilly suggested, you are just looking for a ski improvement course, I recommend Yes Improvement. The also do the instructor thing. Check em out.

Jilly

Staff member
Mountainxtc - that looks interesting. This section 8 reminds me of our Ski la Gap at Tremblant. Also I know Barry Allison. He fixes boots and good too!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountainxtc - that looks interesting. This section 8 reminds me of our Ski la Gap at Tremblant. Also I know Barry Allison. He fixes boots and good too!

Ha, I know Barry. AFAIK he is now a bike shop owner and living in Ottawa!! Hasn't been seen much in these parts for a number of years. Although he was just out here on vacation with his family.

Ski le Gap is just another one of those Gap programs. I'm not kidding, there must be at least 10, if not more here. Off the top of my head: Alltracks, Peak Leaders, Base Camp, Dempsey Tours (RIP), International Academy, EA, CSBA, Nonstop, Yes and there must be more!! It's an entire pod in our ski school of instructors who only teach those programs.... It's a wonder the market isn't saturated, but more keep popping up every year.... :noidea:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they would probably hire you on condition that you sit your PSIA level 1 or CSIA level 2 though.

This depends, probably on demand for ski instructor jobs (geography). Definitely down where I am they will hire without PSIA level 1 with no requirement to sit for the exam, and this may be the norm well into New England. Gosh. Where I am, some of the people that one ski area hired as first-time instructors didn't even own their equipment.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This depends, probably on demand for ski instructor jobs (geography). Definitely down where I am they will hire without PSIA level 1 with no requirement to sit for the exam, and this may be the norm well into New England. Gosh. Where I am, some of the people that one ski area hired as first-time instructors didn't even own their equipment.

I have never worked at a small hill, so I'm not sure how this goes down, but certainly every hill I know will hire anyone with a good attitude with the requirement of passing the level 1 within a certain timeframe.....

I can't imagine what would happen to ski instruction if people taught for years just by winging it, with zero certification :noidea:

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm really not sure what I'm looking for but thanks for the suggestions of some other places as well to do some comparison. I like that the section 8 program seems to incorporate more mountain leadership into their program and seems to be geared to an older set than some of the other programs. Thanks for the help ladies! Let me know if you have any more advice to pass on.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I can't imagine what would happen to ski instruction if people taught for years just by winging it, with zero certification :noidea:

Completely depends on location and labor pool/economy. Around here, ski schools have to depend on a pool of college students (some of whom attend due to proximity of skiing), so there is considerable turnover. There are multiple training clinics and shadowing, but I seriously doubt that the PSIA rate is more than 25% total. Even the dues to become Registered Apprentice are tough for a college student, and then there are the Prep clinics ($), exam ($$), time off of work (lost $), travel to/from them. (Lots of Level 1 exams are offered, thankfully, in the division region.) As my son found out years ago, SOME ski schools are NOT SUPPORTIVE of this process, and there is little if any incentive to do so. Sad. He also found out that even going through the entire process through 3 (which took years) AND sub-specialty certs guarantees NOTHING.

abc

Banned
I have never worked at a small hill, so I'm not sure how this goes down, but certainly every hill I know will hire anyone with a good attitude with the requirement of passing the level 1 within a certain timeframe.....

I've noticed this different attitude towards "certification" between the 2 countries.

I've travelled a lot in both countries. I do notice just about any Canadian guides in whateever discipline (kayak, rafting, ski) will have some sort of certificate to start with. And many are working towards a higher level of cert. While in the US, there's no such requirement. Not even the expectation!

This also extends outside of sport too. I was looking for jobs a while back. I don't have a CS degree but works in the computer field for over a decade. In the US, it's always "CS degree (or equivalent) preferred". But some (not all) jobs in Canada is "CS degree REQUIRED".

I think the two country have different mindset when it comes to certification.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've noticed this different attitude towards "certification" between the 2 countries.

I've travelled a lot in both countries. I do notice just about any Canadian guides in whateever discipline (kayak, rafting, ski) will have some sort of certificate to start with. And many are working towards a higher level of cert. While in the US, there's no such requirement. Not even the expectation!

This also extends outside of sport too. I was looking for jobs a while back. I don't have a CS degree but works in the computer field for over a decade. In the US, it's always "CS degree (or equivalent) preferred". But some (not all) jobs in Canada is "CS degree REQUIRED".

I think the two country have different mindset when it comes to certification.

That's not it - I started my ski instructing career in the US, and it was the same as here.....

abc

Banned
That's not it - I started my ski instructing career in the US, and it was the same as here.....
But as others had indicated, there're plenty of small hills willing to hire anyone with or without certificate, and don't have any requirement to get it.

I guess a better comparison would be if anyone works in small hills in Canada to see where the similarity is.

Jilly

Staff member
I worked a small hill in Ontario. Lizzy's DH works there now. You have to have your level 1 to teach. You can assist without it, but the insurance demands the certificate to teach on your own.

And in the long run it makes sense. The progression we teach is unified across the country. So if you take lesson from SkiBam, Mountainxtc or myself, you are getting the same basic information. Styles might be different, but the concepts are the same.

abc

Banned
There lies the difference then. Seems like in Canada, even small hills requires at least a level 1. But in the US, it's anything goes as long as you're not on a big destination resort. (although I wonder if there's also a east-west difference in the US though)

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though in the East your are not required to be certified we still do extensive training for those who are new to teaching.We do encourage all of the the new instructors to take advantage of being a PSIA member and getting their certifications.Most instructors do this for the love of the sport and to share the passion of skiing to others.

abc..the east and west maintain the same National Standards through PSIA.
PSIA strives for consistency throughout the organization.

T

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga