• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing's Gender Gap Widens with Age

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Came across an interesting article in the Vail Daily about how women make up a declining percentage of skiers as the population ages beyond 40. According to the article, at age 40, women make up just under 50 percent of skiers. At 47, women make up 40 percent of skiers and snowboarders, and by 67, just over 30 percent of skiers and snowboarders are women. In the article, Michael Berry, president of the National Ski Areas Association, said, ”With the large baby boomer generation reaching retirement age, the trend is poised to become more pronounced. As women approach retirement, they are looking for shared experiences with other women as well as outdoor activities that are also learning experiences. Adrenaline may not be a primary need for women."

Other reasons are cited, as well. Cost, lack of time, injuries, and equipment issues, to name a few. You can read the whole piece here.

Your thoughts?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suspect the article rings true for many women but not all, and especially not the ones who participate on this forum.

I have met many women who are relieved to stop skiing once the kids are off to college. This makes me wonder how many of the boomer amd gen x ladies actually liked the sport in the first place.

I live in a very ski oriented community and take serious umbrage with the comment about how women won't rehab post injury like the men. I can't begin to count how many post knee and hip replacement women I have skied with who only had the surgery so they could keep skiing into their 70s and 80s.

I realize that I live in a unique community. When I attended PSIA training for coaching senior skiers the focus was on easy blue terrain skills. I think there are just as many women in our local groups as men in the 60 and over category.

I do suspect the social component is true. However, that is also true for teenage girls which is the other age group where we loose women from the sport as the social connection fails to materialize for the holiday teen girl unless the parents are proactively bringing along friends.

mustski

Angel Diva
I think that, by necessity, women have to take some breaks during the "pregnancy" years. I know a few who skied while pregnant and a few more who worked it out with spouses to take turns skiing. I did not have the desire (or patience) to wake a baby up early in the morning, pack everything needed for the day, drive 2.5 hrs - take turns skiing and watching a cranky baby/toddler - then drive home 2.5 hours. We took those years off from the sport. I think proximity to skiing probably plays into that decision process for a lot of women. I think that, were we not already avid skiers, that probably would have ended our skiing life. By the time Gavin was old enough to go regularly, the gear had completely changed. We had to invest a considerable amount of money to get started again.

Then there are the women who just took up skiing because their husbands liked it. Once the kids progress beyond those mamas, they tend to want to quit ski vacations in favor of more tropical locations. It's boring skiing alone day after day.

The women, other that those I met through skidiva and skitalk, dropped out of the sport mid forties and felt they were getting too old for it. Personally, I don't get that. Use it or lose it!

Jilly

Staff member
Interesting. I was driving to Tremblant today and on a call with a friend. She and I are going to a ski camp in a few weeks. Neither one of us is interested in bumps or trees. Meanwhile she and another lady we know are attending a camp tomorrow, Said lady...oh, we're going to do trees right. Katherine is absolutely not interested in trees. She's coming off a knee injury and just needs confidence.

But all in all, I would have to agree, even if it's 2006. Most of the "girls" I skied with even 10 year ago, are not skiing. Or are skiing limited days.

My dream is to be like my friends Mother. Full of arthritis and skied at 80. She is my inspiration.

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Interesting. I was driving to Tremblant today and on a call with a friend. She and I are going to a ski camp in a few weeks. Neither one of us is interested in bumps or trees. Meanwhile she and another lady we know are attending a camp tomorrow, Said lady...oh, we're going to do trees right. Katherine is absolutely not interested in trees. She's coming off a knee injury and just needs confidence.

But all in all, I would have to agree, even if it's 2006. Most of the "girls" I skied with even 10 year ago, are not skiing. Or are skiing limited days.

My dream is to be like my friends Mother. Full of arthritis and skied at 80. She is my inspiration.
I’m sure this is true for the general population, my friends and I moved to a ski area eons ago to ski, and now we are free to ski every day if we want to! I’m 73, don’t do as much crazy stuff as I used to do, but this is our joy, and winter social life!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too take umbrage with the rehab comment, I personally made it my life's mission to rehab post 2022 accident and my dear friend who is now coming up to 83 had shoulder surgery last year purely so she would still be able to grab a T Bar and ride it to the top !!
On the flip side I do know of women who skied heaps while the kids were still young then gave it up (our local school has a ski programme where they go up once a week so a lot of the Mums and Dads get involved) one in particular says she has lost all confidence and after we did a few runs last season she remembered how much fun it is so I'll be making sure I drag her up the hill this coming Southern Hemi season.
I guess anyone on this forum is going to be in the "ski until you can ski no more and even then some" camp but I am aware that a lot of the people I ski with esp midweek are males with only a hardy few females joining the ranks which is a shame. The female to male ratio improves a little at the weekends thank goodness.

teppaz

Angel Diva
As women approach retirement, they are looking for shared experiences with other women as well as outdoor activities that are also learning experiences. Adrenaline may not be a primary need for women."
But shared experiences are very much part of skiing for many people, including women.
Outdoor activities that are also learning experiences: skiing does that.
Adrenaline: I'm a lot less into it as I'm getting older, but you can ski without trying to give yourself a heart attack or constantly test your limits (though if you enjoy it, that's great, too).

Nobody seems to bat an eyelash when men go on golf or fishing trips with their buddies. The members of this forum obviously already know this, but ski trips with other people are great fun.

So…how does the ski industry convinces older women of all that?

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, the last two paragraphs in that article come off as super patronizing. My mom and a couple of her friends would go every so often, but it was hard because she was also a caregiver. She'd love to still be skiing (or ice skating) but unfortunately Parkinsons has made that impossible.

Not one of my friends skis. One used to snowboard with me, and now that her kids are old enough to start learning, she might be interested in skiing since I've told her there's way less falling involved!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Sorry, long, rambling thoughts - Granted this is an older article but as an older/aging skier myself I have a few thoughts -

Many of the men I've spoken with on lifts say their wives are - still working, caring for grandchildren or parent/in-law or just want them out under foot for peace and quiet.

The rehab comment is silly. You yourself have to want to do the work. Doesn't matter whether you're male or female. I know plenty of men who have blown off rehab/pt and have just floundered about. I met a lady on a lift at Jiminy Peak several yrs ago - she had shoulder, knee and hip replacements.

From a personal standpoint, the article missed or glossed over a big reason older women either stop skiing or reduce skiing - aging parents/spouses not just taking care of children. I was the legal guardian of my father due to dementia. That meant having to put his needs firsts - mtg w/ nursing facilities, doctors, attorneys, state and fed gov't and trying to give him some sort of life. I also helped my sister care for my mother as her health declined. I'm now transitioning into the caregiver role again for my DH due to our age difference and I can see me slowing down/stopping skiing in the next few yrs as his health declines. Not to mention my SILs would desperately love him to move to FL w/ them. I have had to cut ski vacations short or abandon a ski day altogether due to an ill parent or spouse.

I ski mostly alone. I have noticed as I have aged that the drive to my mountain takes a lot more out of me than it used too. I also don't tolerate the cold/inclement as well either. This year I really have had a desire to slow down and take it easy skiing, just cruise around mainly due to the arthritis in my knees and a chronic foot issue. I'm also becoming more aware of harder charging groups of skiers and finding them a bit more unsettling than in the past.

The industry needs the younger people to keep it going even as I wish for slower, quieter days. I've also sort of walked away from my local ski shop. I am not they're desired customer base. They are not interested in serving an aging female w/ disposable income. They would be if I was bringing in children/grandchildren though.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@divegir. Your last comment makes me sad. That is a problem with management not making the staff keenly aware of the market with disposable income. I realize that many of senior students are reluctant to swotchbout skis until I remind them that those old bindings may fail à binding test and increase their injury risk.

teppaz

Angel Diva
It's not just skiing, either. In winter I play tennis under a heated bubble. A friend and I have flexible schedules so we play when the rates are cheapest, ie midweek around 1-2pm. Plus that allows her to play while her kid is in school.

Last time we were there, she pointed out that we were the only two women playing on the six courts we could see, some of which included doubles. Everybody around us was men who appeared to be of retirement age. The youngest ones looked to be in their 40s. That's who was around on that particular Wednesday at 2pm. I've seen more women on other days but men always are a large majority. I play on municipal courts in summer and men and women are about 50/50. I have no idea why there are so many more men playing midweek in winter.

SnowMom

Certified Ski Diva
This article is old but seems to miss some key factors. For the record, my sister and I both fall in the age group in question. I am still skiing, but she is not.

As many have said above, when you take a break from skiing for yourself for the pregnancy years + the skiing with kids stage, it is harder to go back to skiing for yourself. In my own marriage, my husband never dropped his high level skiing days, but I dove head first into the "make sure kids are having fun" mindset. It changes how you view skiing. It also inadvertently skews your perception of skiing as work because instead of just having fun yourself (if you are primarily the one wrangling kids), you now associate skiing with all of the work of getting kids to the mountain w equipment, having snacks, and just always being "on" when on the mountain.

As a member of the sandwich generation, I have elderly parent responsibilities that don't always lend itself as much to being unplugged on the mountain.

...But a big one is menopause. I have my hormones figured out by now, but for women who are surprised by physical changes related to perimenopause and menopause, skiing can be hard. The temperature, bathroom break challenges, the muscles involved, muscle soreness, frozen shoulder, the shifting of weight on your body, fatigue and insomnia, foot issues and ski boots, carrying your equipment across the icy parking lot... Andropause does not have the same impact on men.

According to NIH, as of 2018, over 43 percent of American women over 40 are medically obese (not just overweight), with similar percentages in the over 50 age category. Skiing is really hard if you are overweight. Skiing is even harder if you are obese and older. The obesity levels in the US across gender and age groups are rising. That is probably your biggest threat to skiing.

The cost of skiing is a huge deterrent. The cost of the equipment, lift tickets, clothing that isn't really targeted to older female bodies, expensive on mountain food that isn't going to make us feel great after... Women in my age group aren't the target market for skiing. I don't think the industry really cares who has disposable income anymore because younger generations are so comfortable with credit card debt. They care if the customer is happy to pull out the credit card, not if the customer can actually afford it.

Some of us like it enough to keep going. I don't feel old. I plan to be in the age 90+ ski group someday, but the industry doesn't really want us. It is okay. We can still be out there having fun anyway.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
For me the biggest deterrent is traffic and crowds. I'm not old enough to retire and ski mid week and weekend skiing requires way more time sitting in traffic than skiing in recent years. I'm just not willing to do that. So I'm down to days I can take vacation to ski at my home mountain, 12 miles away. And the crowds are a deterrent for the safety and enjoyment factor while skiing as well. So I've largely transitioned to other outdoor activities where I can enjoy nature either alone or with friends but without the traffic and crowds. I'd been hoping that would change when I can manage to become a mid week skier, but with the rate crowds are growing I'm not sure what that will look like.

Posse Mama

Certified Ski Diva
Came across an interesting article in the Vail Daily about how women make up a declining percentage of skiers as the population ages beyond 40. According to the article, at age 40, women make up just under 50 percent of skiers. At 47, women make up 40 percent of skiers and snowboarders, and by 67, just over 30 percent of skiers and snowboarders are women. In the article, Michael Berry, president of the National Ski Areas Association, said, ”With the large baby boomer generation reaching retirement age, the trend is poised to become more pronounced. As women approach retirement, they are looking for shared experiences with other women as well as outdoor activities that are also learning experiences. Adrenaline may not be a primary need for women."

Other reasons are cited, as well. Cost, lack of time, injuries, and equipment issues, to name a few. You can read the whole piece here.

Your thoughts?
This is on point for me. Earlier this week I went to a small, community owned hill in NE PA. I am sure I was the only women skiing over 45. Yes, it was cold and a bit gray but I was surprised to see a few handfuls of men, over 60 but I was the only women. Earlier in the week on a very cold bluebird morning in NE PA the numbers for >50 were 1 woman to 3 men. Purely estimates based on what I saw in the lodge during boot up and lunch. I am curious about long standing women's programs and if the age is changing. Has the age of Ski Diva membership changed?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not just skiing, either. In winter I play tennis under a heated bubble. A friend and I have flexible schedules so we play when the rates are cheapest, ie midweek around 1-2pm. Plus that allows her to play while her kid is in school.

Last time we were there, she pointed out that we were the only two women playing on the six courts we could see, some of which included doubles. Everybody around us was men who appeared to be of retirement age. The youngest ones looked to be in their 40s. That's who was around on that particular Wednesday at 2pm. I've seen more women on other days but men always are a large majority. I play on municipal courts in summer and men and women are about 50/50. I have no idea why there are so many more men playing midweek in winter.
My hubby is president of our local tennis club and every week without fail he is scrambling to get enough female players for the Saturday games.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My core ski group ages break down as follow:
Men: 75, 72, 70, 70, 69
Women: 76. 74, 70, 61

I sadly see something in this article. The women end of our group is shrinking. We lost 61 to cancer last July. 76 just had knee replacement and doesn’t seem interested in alpine skiing again. So down to 2 women.
And, as life would have it, not a single one of us is without some rather troubling - or even serious - medical issue.

Carry on...

I’m just glad and grateful that I have pics and videos of many in this group skiing together, in “lighter” times. All things must pass...

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had cocktails with one of the locals groups I used to be a guest coach for. We were celebrating the 68th birthday of the baby in the group, who is back at it, skiing 4 days a week with a new knee. Sadly, only one other is still skiing that I know of, and he is in his seventies and the only guy that was part of the group. The 88, and 91, and 78 year old gals all stopped skiing in the past 3 to 6 years. The 91 year old is still nordic skiing regularly and just shacked up with her brand spanking new boyfriend that she is traveling internationally with. We can all hope to be so lucky and active in our 90s. Though it was rather hard to admit to myself that our days skiing together as a group are now just a wonderful memory and gatherings center around food and a half glass of bubbly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Having just skied in Michigan for the first time, I'm sensing there may be a bit of a regional difference for the size of the gender gap. In general when I ski midweek there are always more small groups of senior men than groups of senior women in every region.

In the southeast, there are relatively few older women on skis. The grandmothers I see at Massanutten (northern VA resort) are generally sitting in the lodge waiting for younger members of the family to be done. A few had skied at some point, but most never wanted to try.

The number of older women I saw last Thursday at the 70 Plus Ski Club gathering was much higher than the smaller ski areas I sampled in New England a few years ago. In the public areas, the seniors booting up were mostly men. There were were 70+ women who keep skiing even though their husbands don't ski. Some skied when younger, while others started as an older adult. There is an active group of women who take advantage of the $25 Ladies Day ticket at Caberfae on Wednesdays. While they are older, they don't mostly seemed to be under 60.

The Wild Old Bunch at Alta seems to have more men than women. The average age seems to be 75 for the regulars. I rode up with two couples who were skiing together one day several years ago. What I learned was that the men skied every day midweek. Their wives were snow snobs. If conditions weren't going to be that good off piste, they stayed away. These were people from the midwest who rented a condo near the entrance to LCC for the ski season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga