• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with a (recently broken) wrist

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all,

As some of you know I broke my right (dominant) wrist back in October, breaking both my radius and ulna. Because of the severity of the radius fracture I had to have surgery and now have a plate holding it together.

I have not been cleared to ski yet, but hope to at my next orthopedic appointment in January. (Wishful thinking, but hey, why not.)

I'm going to have to change the way I use poles, as I'm not going to be able to plant. I will also be wearing a rigid wrist guard once I am cleared to ski, so need to consider that as well.

Insights? Suggestions?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch. What a doozy of an injury.

Hm. I have nothing to offer on the mechanics of a non-pole plant, other than sometimes I'm doing more of a tap than a full on plant. But, what popped into my head was more along the lines that you may find yourself not wanting to ski aggressively in an effort not to fall, in which case my advice would be to make a conscious effort not to ski more tentatively than usual.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But, what popped into my head was more along the lines that you may find yourself not wanting to ski aggressively in an effort not to fall, in which case my advice would be to make a conscious effort not to ski more tentatively than usual.

Excellent point. But, that will be difficult. I think I'll have to get my mojo back on some pretty easy terrain before venturing further.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if it would be better to ski without poles for awhile? The only terrain that they are really necessary (well, maybe not necessary but really really helpful) for is bumps, steeps and powder. As you come back you probably should be avoiding those until you're completely healed based on risk of falling anyhow so maybe no poles would work?

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
I'm going to have to change the way I use poles, as I'm not going to be able to plant. I will also be wearing a rigid wrist guard once I am cleared to ski, so need to consider that as well.
Insights? Suggestions?

I skied a season without poles whilst my broken sesamoid bone healed in the base of my thumb (nowhere near as nasty as your injury but very painful non the less). I had on a half cast but decided not to use poles due to the risk of snagging my injury. I actually quite enjoyed the season, and as Robyn noted, skiing without poles does tame your skiing allowing you to regain confidence... :goodluck:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So sorry to hear about this injury!! :(
In your shoes (boots?), I would not use poles. Could act as a "fulcrum" of sorts. Would hate to see you re-injure this, especially with a plate. I think I'd seriously consider not skiing at all. It's psychologically painful. But, oh my, re-injury would be awful. If you're cleared, please go easy! Feel better soon!

p.s. re-injured stuff is infamous for talking back, Big Time, down the road a few years --- just doesn't seem worth it to me....:noidea:

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless we get some serious snow soon, I may just pass on this season, and Telluride has far more snow than many resorts out here.

Wow, can it get worse?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga