• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing trip alone to Salt Lake City

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another cool thing.. The Mormon tabernacle choir is AMAZING (if you're into that) I've seen them here in NY on tour. BUT on Thursdays they have dress rehearsals in SLC!! It's always been snowing heavily so I haven't seen them there- but if you like singing and music- they (to me) are the most joyful chorus on the planet!! https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/events/rehearsals.html

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, I do want to be bold and go to Las Vegas after skiing let's see if I can work it out so that it all fits.
So, I maybe will ski for 5 days in February. And then move on. I am looking at Brighton area, and it looks very nice. And there is a nice looking school too. So maybe this is an option.
I see about passes, but yes, obviously makes sense to decide first where to go.
Thank you very much for the helpful reply.
For only 5 days of skiing in the SLC area, check out the SkiUtah webpage about lift tickets and other info about the resorts in Utah. If you are willing to commit to a date in advance, the price for an online ticket bought directly from a resort can be discounted quite a bit.

Note that Brighton has night skiing. Only a limited number of lower mountain trails. But if you have the energy, a night ticket is quite reasonable. For instance, could ski at Solitude during the day, take a break for an early dinner, and then ski a couple more hours at Brighton to get a feel for the place.

Each of the four places in LCC/BCC (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton) have distinct terrain and "vibe." Personally I like Alta better than Snowbird, and Brighton better than Solitude. I have friends who much prefer Snowbird over Alta and Solitude over Brighton. While I've skied a day at Deer Valley, I rarely bother to go all the way to Parley's Canyon. It's much lower than LCC/BCC so doesn't get as much snow and has a shorter season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The flight, yes, is booked for 04 - 16 February. Apart from that, I have not booked anything yet, but I figured, even if the resorts are full, I could stay in the city for a couple of days, and commute from there. But I definitely will decide by mid November, because it will be nicer to stay in the resort. I thought, to ski from 06 February till maybe 12. So all in all I think it's manageable. And school is a good idea really, because I am not very ambitious skier but I like the process
Feb 18-21 is a holiday weekend in the USA. None of the SLC resorts will be "full" during your trip. In general, Saturday is the busiest day. Note that if there is a powder snowstorm, that will change the situation significantly. Not only will more local people be interested in skiing, there may be advanced terrain that isn't open for a day or two. However, the groomed trails would be great fun. Going to Solitude or Brighton would probably be better on a powder day than Alta or Snowbird, which are more popular with people who enjoy skiing deep powder.

Scribble

Angel Diva
Depending on the date, I may be able to meet up with you at Alta or Solitude for a day if you want a ski buddy. Or for an evening at Brighton - I have a twilight pass there.
Brighton has a different vibe than the others, but mostly on the weekends. Saturdays are chaotic. Riding up Crest on a quiet, clear night is awesome - the creaking of the lift cable in the dark, the breeze whistling through snow covered pines, and kids howling at the moon. It makes me laugh!
They have a great lesson program, though they'll shorten your group lesson to one hour if no one else shows up.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Each of the four places in LCC/BCC (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton) have distinct terrain and "vibe." Personally I like Alta better than Snowbird, and Brighton better than Solitude. I have friends who much prefer Snowbird over Alta and Solitude over Brighton. While I've skied a day at Deer Valley, I rarely bother to go all the way to Parley's Canyon. It's much lower than LCC/BCC so doesn't get as much snow and has a shorter season.
That's funny, I prefer Alta to Snowbird and Solitude to Brighton.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Another cool thing.. The Mormon tabernacle choir is AMAZING (if you're into that) I've seen them here in NY on tour. BUT on Thursdays they have dress rehearsals in SLC!! It's always been snowing heavily so I haven't seen them there- but if you like singing and music- they (to me) are the most joyful chorus on the planet!! https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/events/rehearsals.html
Oh yes, when I was in SLC we made a point to go to the Thursday rehearsal. A highlight of the trip (well, along with great skiing, of course...)

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Excellent idea to keep the trip! My first time in Utah, I had to ski alone for two days as my friend was unable to come on time due to a snowstorm. My first day, I got on the lift at Canyons, and the person on the lift with me started a conversation. It turns out he and his family had lived there for 20+ years, and he offered to ski with me. it was fantastic, as he took me places I certainly would not have found myself on day 1. So also don't underestimate the local hospitality...

Good luck!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Excellent idea to keep the trip! My first time in Utah, I had to ski alone for two days as my friend was unable to come on time due to a snowstorm. My first day, I got on the lift at Canyons, and the person on the lift with me started a conversation. It turns out he and his family had lived there for 20+ years, and he offered to ski with me. it was fantastic, as he took me places I certainly would not have found myself on day 1. So also don't underestimate the local hospitality...

Good luck!
That’s happened to me a few times at various resorts. I love how people strike up conversations with strangers on American lifts. It’s never happened on lifts in the French Alps (I can say that, I’m French!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
One time at Alta I saw an older man at the base of a lift (Supreme triple) who was clearly looking for someone to ride up with. I told my two ski buddies I was going to ride with the man. Turned out he was very chatty and fun to talk with. I asked him about his favorite run off that lift. He pointed to the steep chutes to the left of the lift as we rode up. Said it used to be a favorite area. But few years before he had hit a tree and broke a leg so was taking it easier after getting back on skis. I had to ask his age at that point. He was 86!

The Wild Old Bunch who ski Alta in the mornings are great fun if you catch them for a lift ride. They gather at Alf's at or near the round table around 11am on weekdays. They fuss if it's a "groomer day." Many have a badge on their sleeve with 70+ or 80+ or even a few 90+.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga