• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing again after 15 years

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband wants to take the family on a ski trip to Val Gardena next weekend and I am super excited but also very nervous. I haven't skied in 15 years!

I grew up skiing in Vermont and skied all through college but when we moved to DC my career became priority and was very demanding and I never had much interest in the mid-Atlantic hills after trying one (no offense intended). The same is true of the Mr. although, I think he was a much, much better skier than me.

I was a proficient skier on greens and most black diamond runs in the NE but never huge into bumps and crazy steeps. I also had a hard time with boots fitting my calves when I was a size 6 and now I am a 10-12. I'm having a bit of anxiety about doing this again even though I have really missed skiing and we live in Northern Italy now so I would be a fool to not take advantage and ski the Dolomiti.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How exciting! I don't think ski boots will be as much of an issue, women's ski boots have come a long way. The back of the boot stops much lower to accomodate women's longer calf muscles. You could check at the rental shop beforehand to make sure they offer women's specific boots rather than only unisex.
As for the actual skiing, you might surprise yourself, plus ski technology has changed a lot in 15 years (skis are now shorter and turn much easier, particularly rental/beginner skis). You might also consider taking a lesson on your first day to help shake off the rust and learn what areas of the mountain will be best for you. Good luck! Have fun! And welcome to the ski diva!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! You're going to have a blast. I took a hiatus that lasted about 17 years. You'll be amazed how much will come back. And if you're like me, you'll be hooked all over again. :smile:

Last edited:

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies! I went to our local big box store Decathlon to try on some boots just to see what I was dealing with. I was shocked that I had no trouble with 2 of the 3 boots they had in my size. I tried the Salomon Quest Access 70 and they were great, although I am not sure wether I was the 24.5 or 25.5...my toe touches the front of the 24.5 but my heel was more secure and the 25.5 felt a bit sloppy I think. My mondo was 25. I'm actually considering going back and buying them since they are on sale for €150 only. Then I don't have to stress about rental boots. The other pair were Fisher Somatec and were a bit more than I want to spend. The Rossignol boots were all too tight in the calves unfortunately.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would definitely go with the smaller boot. I actually size two sizes down (my poor toenails), but I have a low volume foot, so bigger makes my feet move in the boot. The inner liner will pack out probably making the smaller boot feel perfect after a few days skiing. Welcome back to skiing!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to the forum and back to skiing! I think you'll have a ball, skis have come so far they are much easier to ski then our old 'straight' boards. and the Mt's make more snow than yrs ago. Okemo even has a HEATED bubble chair talk about comfort on the lift ride!! Yes to getting the right boot, enjoy trying some of the new skis to find the right one! Have fun!!

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world. Sounds like the Quest might be the boot. I don't like dealing with the staff a box stores, they only know what they know, which usually isn't much. Boots will pack out in time, so the 24.5 sounds right for length. That boot is made for large calves as well. The Rossi, which is made on the Lange last would be too narrow for the calves.

You will be amazed at the skis too.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to our world. Sounds like the Quest might be the boot. I don't like dealing with the staff a box stores, they only know what they know, which usually isn't much. Boots will pack out in time, so the 24.5 sounds right for length. That boot is made for large calves as well. The Rossi, which is made on the Lange last would be too narrow for the calves.

You will be amazed at the skis too.

Yes, for sure! There is also a language barrier. My Italian is so so and their English typically about the same. The Mr. Thinks we should wait and rent before we do anything but I'm very nervous that I won't find rentals to fit so I'm leaning towards buying the Quests.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it possible to go to an actual boot fitter? I have made so many painful mistakes choosing boots for myself. It is very likely that it resulted in needing foot surgery. I'm not saying that's typical, nor that I know for sure, but - ugh.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is it possible to go to an actual boot fitter? I have made so many painful mistakes choosing boots for myself. It is very likely that it resulted in needing foot surgery. I'm not saying that's typical, nor that I know for sure, but - ugh.

I would love to see a boot fitter but I don't know of one in this area. I'm sure there is one in Sudtirol but I'm not sure about language barrier...that area is not very high on the English speaking tourists agenda. I will ask some of my German speaking friends and see what they say.

I know I need to think long term but the wide calf issue is freaking me out. I'm just worried that I will get up there and not be able to even enjoy our long weekend. I tried calling the rental shop but they speak German and Italian but with a very tough accent for me to understand on the phone. Maybe I can get my neighbor to call.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I need to think long term but the wide calf issue is freaking me out.

There are many women, myself included, here who are larger than size 10-12 and still have no problems with wide calves. I also had a problem with this buying ski boots 15-20 years ago. Ski boot manufacturers have long since addressed this, and I have not had to worry about calves for my boots in so long that I've basically forgotten about it. Women's boots have room in the cuff and lower cuffs. Many have heat moldable liners that can be thinned around the cuff as well.

Jilly

Staff member
And now there are all kinds of adjustments on ski boots. Micro adjustable buckles on all buckles now. Also just about every manufacturer has 3 holes for the buckle catch on the cuff. So there is lots of room there.

As a skier I don't the 150 euros is too much for boots. A similar boot here in Canada would be $ 249 or more.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The price of those Quests seemed like a steal to me too. In January and July Italian stores have their semi-annual sale which is usually between 30-60% off so now is a good time to buy things. My husband just wants me to make sure I still enjoy skiing and that I get what I want rather than feel under the gun which makes sense. I wish I had picked this sport back up before moving to Europe...it would have been easier to outfit myself with equipment for sure!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna