• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skier without helmet dies at MI resort

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My helmet is like my safety blanket, I don’t feel comfortable skiing without it. I don’t understand why people are against wearing one...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel everyone has a right to make their personal decisions as long as they don't affect others, but I'm with you, just WHY. I don't understand.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. And what I -really- don't understand is why rental packages don't include a helmet. If someone wants to bring their own for hygiene reasons or knowing if it has had any hits, I get it, but I consider the helmet as essential as the skis, boots, and poles. It can't be for liability reasons because they do rent them, they just aren't normally included in the rental package.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. And what I -really- don't understand is why rental packages don't include a helmet. If someone wants to bring their own for hygiene reasons or knowing if it has had any hits, I get it, but I consider the helmet as essential as the skis, boots, and poles. It can't be for liability reasons because they do rent them, they just aren't normally included in the rental package.
You make a terrific point - one that I never really thought about!

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@diymom
Helmet is the one thing I wouldn't rent. They are designed for one impact only. There is no way to know if previous renters have banged, kicked or dropped the helmet. You can get a MIPS helmet at Costco for $75.
Also a lot of people have a false sense of security by wearing old helmets, or don't buckle their helmets, or have loose straps...
You should treat your helmet like your head is in it.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@diymom
Helmet is the one thing I wouldn't rent. They are designed for one impact only. There is no way to know if previous renters have banged, kicked or dropped the helmet. You can get a MIPS helmet at Costco for $75.
Also a lot of people have a false sense of security by wearing old helmets, or don't buckle their helmets, or have loose straps...
You should treat your helmet like your head is in it.
While I totally agree about how important it is you have a good helmet, isn't something better than nothing? Many times these renters are first timers with no gear whatsoever - that includes helmets.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Helmet is the one thing I wouldn't rent. They are designed for one impact only. There is no way to know if previous renters have banged, kicked or dropped the helmet.
Exactly, that's why I mentioned about not knowing if it has had any hits as one reason why people might not want a rental helmet. But as @TiffAlt said, surely something is better than nothing. My point is that if they rent helmets anyways, that should be included in the rental package, not an add on. They don't charge extra for poles, which beginners don't really need anyways. How many people might think they are already spending so much, maybe save that $12 and get some fries instead. Including the helmet in the package also gets new skiers in the habit of wearing one from the start, and hopefully that will be one of the first pieces of gear they purchase.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I had a bad fall at Steamboat where it seemed my head bounced hard off the ground when I fell. My very first thought was - Thank god I have a helmet on. I can't imagine not wearing one.

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ Same. I had a head this year that made my eyes swim! I was grateful for the helmet for sure. I also like how warm they are. I must admit though that I have seen more people without helmets, than usual, this season. :noidea:

Amplify

Diva in Training
One of the dads who volunteers alongside me as a ski chaperone for my kids’ school refuses to wear a helmet. Whenever the kids ask him about it he says, “I grew up skiing without a helmet and I feel way more free this way!” I feel like it’s a really crappy move. Like, parents of students who don’t ski are trusting us to take them up and all over the mountain in the afternoons after morning lessons and to generally be leaders and role models for their kids. Even parents who do ski are all trusting each other – the kids branch off into level-appropriate groups and 1-2 parents ski with each group, so you’re often not with your own child. We’re all taking care of each other’s kids here. I also bristle because this guy always jumps in to take the “daredevil” group, doesn’t rotate into the volunteer slots like everyone else but just is like “oh well they’re going on the stuff I prefer skiing” (like, do I REALLY want to do 2 hours of laps on the same three green circles? Is that what I’d do if I were skiing alone? No! but I’m chaperoning some kids at their comfort level! This isn’t just about what I want to do!) and then, to top it off, kind of eggs the kids on with machismo crap. My son skies in that group a lot and he told me that one of the kids got to the top edge of a steep double black and then noped out and said, “this slope is not for me right now,” which I think is very responsible! It must have been very hard for that kid to break away from his peer group and decline to go on something he legitimately felt was too scary for him! And the dad responded, “You can’t judge a slope from the top. You don’t really know how it is until you try it.” I was livid when I heard that. Like that could be an appropriate thing to say in some situations but in a free-ski with a group of friends, it just does not feel like the right kind of comment.

I spent this whole season feeling like I want to say something to the school about this guy, with his bravado and his borderline-evangelical preference for skiing helmet-free. He just really gets on my nerves with that ####. You know what, I didn’t grow up skiing in a helmet either! No one wore a helmet when I was a kid! We also drove the six hours to Vermont with the back seats of the car folded down, literally laying in sleeping bags in the back of the car – not a seatbelt among us. We change things when there’s a good reason to. I don’t really care if he wears a helmet or not, just like I don’t really care if he wears a seatbelt, but I do care about him talking up his preference for helmet-free skiing to a bunch of kids.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the dads who volunteers alongside me as a ski chaperone for my kids’ school refuses to wear a helmet. Whenever the kids ask him about it he says, “I grew up skiing without a helmet and I feel way more free this way!” I feel like it’s a really crappy move. Like, parents of students who don’t ski are trusting us to take them up and all over the mountain in the afternoons after morning lessons and to generally be leaders and role models for their kids. Even parents who do ski are all trusting each other – the kids branch off into level-appropriate groups and 1-2 parents ski with each group, so you’re often not with your own child. We’re all taking care of each other’s kids here. I also bristle because this guy always jumps in to take the “daredevil” group, doesn’t rotate into the volunteer slots like everyone else but just is like “oh well they’re going on the stuff I prefer skiing” (like, do I REALLY want to do 2 hours of laps on the same three green circles? Is that what I’d do if I were skiing alone? No! but I’m chaperoning some kids at their comfort level! This isn’t just about what I want to do!) and then, to top it off, kind of eggs the kids on with machismo crap. My son skies in that group a lot and he told me that one of the kids got to the top edge of a steep double black and then noped out and said, “this slope is not for me right now,” which I think is very responsible! It must have been very hard for that kid to break away from his peer group and decline to go on something he legitimately felt was too scary for him! And the dad responded, “You can’t judge a slope from the top. You don’t really know how it is until you try it.” I was livid when I heard that. Like that could be an appropriate thing to say in some situations but in a free-ski with a group of friends, it just does not feel like the right kind of comment.

I spent this whole season feeling like I want to say something to the school about this guy, with his bravado and his borderline-evangelical preference for skiing helmet-free. He just really gets on my nerves with that ####. You know what, I didn’t grow up skiing in a helmet either! No one wore a helmet when I was a kid! We also drove the six hours to Vermont with the back seats of the car folded down, literally laying in sleeping bags in the back of the car – not a seatbelt among us. We change things when there’s a good reason to. I don’t really care if he wears a helmet or not, just like I don’t really care if he wears a seatbelt, but I do care about him talking up his preference for helmet-free skiing to a bunch of kids.
If you do not want to talk to the Dad, I would talk to the school about your misgivings. I doubt that is the type of person they'd want chaperoning their students - if not out of a sense of wanting to protect the kids, then out of wanting to protect themselves. Encouraging risky behavior in kids? The man is a liability!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was w/an acquaintance once who actually asked a guy who was skiing w/his young kids why he wasn't wearing a helmet. The kids both had their own, good quality helmets. I can't recall what the guy said, but my acquaintance responded, "so . . . who's going to raise your kids when you are a vegetable?" The next time I saw the guy w/the kids (the next weekend), he was wearing a helmet. Score a win.

newbieM

Angel Diva

I would absolutely say something, he is a role model and setting the appropriate tone - he can do whatever he wants on his free time but not his time with students.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
When our son was born, my husband was biking the following spring and I told him to wear a helmet. he tried Nope-ing me. I told him that it was non-negotiable that the kids would wear helmets and that the best way to get them to wear helmets was to wear them ourselves. He immediately got it. I am grateful that he had the sense to hear me and listen.

Fast forward to 2 summers ago. Our son was biking to tennis camp with a friend and hit a big pothole and went over his handlebars, scraping himself up pretty badly. THANKFULLY, he was wearing a helmet (at 13) …because you could see where the helmet had been hit. I thanked him for wearing his helmet, and showed him the extent of damage when we were talking about it. He really seemed to get it.

I’m so grateful that my husband modeled that good behavior so that my son would be comfortable wearing his helmet. I hope it continues.

Side note, helmets do keep your head so nice and cozy when skiing!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Helmets are so much warmer than those headbands we used to wear back in the day.

When I returned to skiing in 2016 after a long hiatus, I bought a helmet. I was amazed at how cozy it was and no fear of it blowing off my head.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I first started snowboarding 20 years ago, I didn't really see people wearing helmets and didn't even think about it. Now, I couldn't imagine not wearing my helmet.

I wear one for roller skating, too (while all the 20 year olds at the skate park wear no padding whatsoever). My first--and so far, only--attempt at dropping into a bowl, I fell backwards and hit my head pretty hard. My helmet was replaced after that fall.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only count on my helmet for protection against scrapes with hard branches and pointy rocks.

They are very helpful, but never skiing on slopes with trees on the edges or in the runout zones would likely save many more lives.

The studies are still mixed as these two which differ a bit in time and findings show. I wish they would look at nordic racers who often reach the 30 to 40 mph speeds, crash a ton and never wear helmets.

Recent study Denver post and older study from Splitboard.

I can't handle being without mine on, but like wearing a seat belt, I am always conscious of the fact that my other decisions matter more, like speed on icy slopes amd awareness of idiots behind me.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
^^^ Same. I had a head this year that made my eyes swim! I was grateful for the helmet for sure. I also like how warm they are. I must admit though that I have seen more people without helmets, than usual, this season. :noidea:
My head is fine but my thumb still hurts a little. Now we need some kind of thumb protector!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga