• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skier’s Thumb- any advice?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently I brought home skier’s thumb as a souvenir from my last trip.
I just got an x-ray and it looks like you can see a bone chip the ligament pulled off. They want an mri to confirm damage before choosing surgery vs non-surgery.

Anyone have experience?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently I brought home skier’s thumb as a souvenir from my last trip.
I just got an x-ray and it looks like you can see a bone chip the ligament pulled off. They want an mri to confirm damage before choosing surgery vs non-surgery.

Anyone have experience?
I was thinking this was like carpal tunnel when I read the title but I clicked in and its so much worse. Never heard of it!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What kind of poles do you have?
Some really old black diamond flip lock ones- curious does pole type make a difference?

I crashed pretty hard when I got hurt. I do use the wrist straps where you grab them from the bottom.

Here was my ski after hitting the mini tree stump in the shadows on the cat track out. Last run down to the car on a groomer after skiing double blacks all day.

4421A9AB-ED6E-48AB-B57B-A68E1D2F67EC.jpeg

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone I’ve known who’s had skiers thumb (going back to the early 90s and as recently as a few years ago) got surgery. I think the Leki trigger release poles may make a difference?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some really old black diamond flip lock ones- curious does pole type make a difference?

I crashed pretty hard when I got hurt. I do use the wrist straps where you grab them from the bottom.

Here was my ski after hitting the mini tree stump in the shadows on the cat track out. Last run down to the car on a groomer after skiing double blacks all day.

View attachment 21022
OMG, hope you are ok!

mustski

Angel Diva
I got skiers thumb last year. I was using Leki triggers, but they did not detach. It was an easy fall but I could not grip anything. I had to wear a brace for 8 weeks and luckily did not need surgery. I was religious about the brace and even grabbed an easy one from CVS for showering. Do not take uff that brace! Now go see an orthopedic surgeon to be sure if proper healing.

Jilly

Staff member
I did both thumbs at once. Did a double eject and landed on superman style, but with thumbs still warped around the grips. They were X-rayed, but it was determined sprains. Could not do much for 4 weeks. The black bruise was from the thumb down to the wrist. All my doctor wanted to know was....where was I skiing in late April.

I was wondering about the poles wrt to the grip. But you hadn't mentioned the a crash. So any "landing" on the grip/pole is going to just plain hurt!

Talk to your medical people and follow what they say.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got skiers thumb last year. I was using Leki triggers, but they did not detach. It was an easy fall but I could not grip anything. I had to wear a brace for 8 weeks and luckily did not need surgery. I was religious about the brace and even grabbed an easy one from CVS for showering. Do not take uff that brace! Now go see an orthopedic surgeon to be sure if proper healing.
Ooh I love the idea of getting another brace for showering and pelotoning. I was thinking this one would get super gross if I sweated in it.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did both thumbs at once. Did a double eject and landed on superman style, but with thumbs still warped around the grips. They were X-rayed, but it was determined sprains. Could not do much for 4 weeks. The black bruise was from the thumb down to the wrist. All my doctor wanted to know was....where was I skiing in late April.

I was wondering about the poles wrt to the grip. But you hadn't mentioned the a crash. So any "landing" on the grip/pole is going to just plain hurt!

Talk to your medical people and follow what they say.
Yikes! Double eject sounds bad!

They are seeing a bone chip so want to MRI to get a better look to see if surgery is indicated or if bracing will do.

Mine swelled but never bruised.

It’s not too bad, I just have zero strength. Can’t even hold a coffee cup or use a can opener. Writing is a challenge too.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This is why I have never used the straps on my poles. One of the instructors at TSV this yr kept telling us how much better it would be in the bumps, but I've always been concerned about exactly this type of injury. Hope you heal without needing surgery!

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is why I have never used the straps on my poles. One of the instructors at TSV this yr kept telling us how much better it would be in the bumps, but I've always been concerned about exactly this type of injury. Hope you heal without needing surgery!
Removing the strap does not reduce incidence of skier's thumb. Leki/releasable straps are designed to release in avalanche conditions to avoid dragging.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Removing the strap does not reduce incidence of skier's thumb. Leki/releasable straps are designed to release in avalanche conditions to avoid dragging.
The Divas who have posted were not in avalanches, they just had various types of falls. That's what I'm referring to. I'm also not referring to Leki releasable straps, just generic straps on poles. And I haven't removed the straps, I just don't put my hands thru them.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Same, my poles do not have straps for this reason. It’s critical in backcountry and then I realized to not have straps in-bounds either. In the event of a fall, the poles should be the first to go. Straps are a hazard! I’ve not found a reason to ever use them while skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga