• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Review - 90mm-97mm - Loon Mtn, NH - 12/9/16

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I so wish I could demo the Santa Ana 100 here! I cannot even find the Santa Ana 93 177 online to buy even if I was going to take the plunge. Have you ever been on the men's Soul Rider? When I was calling around looking for the Santa Ana 93 177 or the Santa Ana 100 169/177, one shop guy suggested it. Says he is light, it is 97mm with no metal, and it is his absolute favorite. I am going track one down to demo, but would love to know how it compares to the Santa Ana.

The Soul Rider has many fans, but I personally prefer the Santa Ana/Enforcer. If you are going that wide, I'd say just pull the trigger on a 177 SA 100.

SkiEssentials has the 177 SA 93, btw.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I may even switch gears back to the K2 Fulluvit 170.....I skied the men's, the women's is lighter and slightly less stiff. I just saw this on pugski:

K2 FulLUVit
Dimensions: 132-95-115
Radius: 14m@170cm
Size tested: 170
Design: All New

This is easily my favorite of the Luv skis, both as a daily driver and a one-ski quiver for an advanced woman skier. I’m not sure how K2 made a ski that is so easy to ski but still ready to be skied aggressively, but this is it. Sail Away Glades, moguls, broken crud, or groomers, every move on the FulLUVit was seamless.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a fun off-piste ski.
  • Who is it not for? Boring Betty.
  • Insider tip: Look for serious fun.
Just shoot me now..you may be ready to, lol. My husband is like "just make a decision and buy a damn ski" and I'm all like "I don't want to make a mistake"......

I don't have a favorite ski shop - I will call your old stomping grounds tomorrow to see what they have/what they can get. They are the only ones that admit to having an exchange policy.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just shoot me now..you may be ready to, lol. My husband is like "just make a decision and buy a damn ski" and I'm all like "I don't want to make a mistake"......

I sometimes think that the choosing/buying process is the most fun part of owning a ski. Nothing feels as exciting as all the endless *possibilities*.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I so wish I could demo the Santa Ana 100 here! I cannot even find the Santa Ana 93 177 online to buy even if I was going to take the plunge. Have you ever been on the men's Soul Rider? When I was calling around looking for the Santa Ana 93 177 or the Santa Ana 100 169/177, one shop guy suggested it. Says he is light, it is 97mm with no metal, and it is his absolute favorite. I am going track one down to demo, but would love to know how it compares to the Santa Ana.

I have not skied the Soul Rider. I am confident that the 177 SA would not be too much for you. 169 would normally be quite a lot of ski for me, especially since I've lost 8 or so lbs. and am hovering in the 120 range. They aren't at ALL. You have 5" on me if I recall correctly? (I'm 5'5".)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Oh I think thats code for "buy both skis" :becky:
I like how you think!:becky::becky:

@contesstant , I am 5'9", and average 140# over the year. There was one pair of 2016 Santa Ana (100) 177 lurking online for $419 - new, no shipping, no tax, free returns within 30 days; I went all crazy and bought them last night. I am happy I acted as it was their only pair (they are now showing out of stock). A few weeks ago I found the Attack 12 110 binding for $139 and bought them to have "just in case".....bindings don't go bad, right? I now have a *likely* winner and I can search out some more demos in the meantime....if I discover I made a mistake, I have the return option.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

@contesstant , I am 5'9", and average 140# over the year. There was one pair of 2016 Santa Ana (100) 177 lurking online for $419 - new, no shipping, no tax, free returns within 30 days; I went all crazy and bought them last night. I am happy I acted as it was their only pair (they are now showing out of stock). A few weeks ago I found the Attack 12 110 binding for $139 and bought them to have "just in case".....bindings don't go bad, right? I now have a *likely* winner and I can search out some more demos in the meantime....if I discover I made a mistake, I have the return option.
Yahoo!! If you don't love them, I'll be very shocked! And I have the same bindings-it's a fantastic set up! Congrats!

MissySki

Angel Diva

Now I'm going to be really curious about your review of the 100!! I've been online stalking the 93, but I'm curious about how the 100 compares..

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Now I'm going to be really curious about your review of the 100!! I've been online stalking the 93, but I'm curious about how the 100 compares..

We'll see if I am brave enough to mount them, or if I chicken out and return. I'm hitting the phone again today to try and find a demo of the Santa Ana 100 169. I know I won't find the 177, but if I could at least get on the 169 that would seal it for me.

I was torn between the Santa Ana 93 or 100, or the K2 Fulluvit 95. Even though the Elysian and the Santa Ana 93 have a very different feel and turn radius , they have quite a bit of functional overlap for me, so I narrowed that to the 100. I really loved the crud busting promise of the K2, combined with that surfy tip, but decided it is pretty stiff (at least in the men's), and while that would be great here and for firmer days out west, I may not want to ski that for 5 full days traveling. I do not rule out that appearing in my garage at some point though :wink:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Thanks so much for these reviews!! I know you didn't get to ski in soft snow conditions, but if you imagined yourself in deep crud, do you think you would be happier on the Samta Anna 93 or the Vamtage 90?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Thanks so much for these reviews!! I know you didn't get to ski in soft snow conditions, but if you imagined yourself in deep crud, do you think you would be happier on the Samta Anna 93 or the Vamtage 90?
That is a toughie. The Santa Ana 93 feels so sprightly it leads me to believe it might suffer there, but perhaps it is a chameleon? Wiith nothing else to go on, I would give that nod to the Vantage 90 ctiw.

If I get a chance to get back on them this weekend (I may go to a small mountain demo) I will try to make a better call on that!

Not considering the Santa Ana 100?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I haven't been considering the 100 but maybe I will get on them just to check them out. I have been shying away from skis over 95mm. At my weight and height I just don't think I need that much ski under me to handle soft snow. The greater overall surface area means fewer lbs per sq inch for bending them.

Plus I find it is harder on my knees/joints to ski fatties whenever I'm not in 3 dimensional snow.

I'm trying to replace my all wood 161 Nordica HellnBacks (men's version of the Nemesis) which are 98 underfoot, because I lost some weight and really can't bend them any more. I know it's probably stiffer than the Santa Anna's, but the 100 just seems like it's probably too much ski for me.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
At my weight and height I just don't think I need that much ski under me to handle soft snow.

Excellent point; sometimes I forget to take size into account when thinking about width. You were tiny to begin with, so I see where losing weight changes things. Width has not been an issue for me so far, but I have a lot more leverage with my stats.

I am really looking forward to trying the 100 (I haven't skied it, only purchased it, lol!) to see how different of an animal it is from other 95/97 waist skis I have been on, and to also be able to compare it to my demo of the 93. I plan to bring my Elysian with me so I can hop on it afterwards to compare the experience. If they have it, I am also going to trade in the Santa Ana 100 169 for the Enforcer 100 177 so I can just test out length...I will have to ignore the 2 sheets of metal and just concentrate on shape/length.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been considering the 100 but maybe I will get on them just to check them out. I have been shying away from skis over 95mm. At my weight and height I just don't think I need that much ski under me to handle soft snow. The greater overall surface area means fewer lbs per sq inch for bending them.

Plus I find it is harder on my knees/joints to ski fatties whenever I'm not in 3 dimensional snow.

I'm trying to replace my all wood 161 Nordica HellnBacks (men's version of the Nemesis) which are 98 underfoot, because I lost some weight and really can't bend them any more. I know it's probably stiffer than the Santa Anna's, but the 100 just seems like it's probably too much ski for me.
Definitely try them! I'm all of a buck twenty now, and the Santa Anas are just a hoot, and I can lay them over just fine, and they pivot, and swivel, and just dance! And while they do find on groomers, they REALLY come to life in 3D and soft snow. Super surfy (to me) in powder. And I don't have near the skill level that you do! And I do have TWO bad knees, including of course the one I tore up 2 seasons ago. They were bothered on the Sambas, but not on the SA 100s.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Ok. Worth a try I guess. I'm not a big fan of the surfy thing but hopefully they have a good blend of attributes - being Nordicas afterall. :smile:

For what it's worth, I have taken a few runs on Ski Diva's Elysians and really thought they were fun. I just didn't think they would have the crud busting oomph I'm looking for and was hoping the Santa Anna (or Vantage 90) might have a little more beef.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent point; sometimes I forget to take size into account when thinking about width.

My Yumis are my "powder" skis right now. I could probably manage up to about 90 or so for width for softer snow conditions, but probably not much more than that. I tried the Kikus 4 years ago in Aspen, and it was like having two surfboards strapped to each foot. What a disaster that was. lol Just like with ski length, I don't have the mass for wider skis.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Ok. Worth a try I guess. I'm not a big fan of the surfy thing but hopefully they have a good blend of attributes - being Nordicas afterall. :smile:

For what it's worth, I have taken a few runs on Ski Diva's Elysians and really thought they were fun. I just didn't think they would have the crud busting oomph I'm looking for and was hoping the Santa Anna (or Vantage 90) might have a little more beef.

At least on my short demo, the Santa Ana 93 is not more of a crud buster than the Elysian. Vantage 90 has a better edge, but it is does not have beefy feel at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga