• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski recommendations - midwest and westcoast

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
This is my first posting (other than 1 response to another post). I'm a mostly silent lurker, but so appreciate all the vast amounts of feminine knowledge and supportive spirit. I would love to hear any thoughts y'all have for me as I consider new equipment.
I am 5'5, 114 pounds, 56 years young (I started skiing about 4 years ago).

I primarily ski Blues (for reference, the Canyons at PC and BeaverCreek) when we aren't skiing in Minnesota (Afton) -- we have the EpicPass. My husband thinks that I'm better than I do, and thinks that my lack of confidence (and aggressiveness?) is my biggest hurdle (agreed). At the end of last season I began wondering whether my skis were part of my problem -- that they either weren't the right size for me or maybe weren't the right flex/whatever for me. I REALLY have trouble with making quicker/shorter turns.

Currently I am on a pair he bought me from a re-use store. They are Volkl Aura (2012) -- 131|96|114. Length is 156. And based on what I've been learning, it would seem that the sidecut measurements would confirm my thoughts. Before this set, my first skis were Salomon BBR 149 (2013) -- with a waist of 79. This year I've been switching between the two (here in MN) -- I like the turnability of the Salomon's, but the stability of the Volkl. I feel like both are a bit "chattery" for me, and make me more hestient when the conditions are a bit more icy (even if I'm on a flat terrain) because I feel like I'm slipping too much without control.

I've been reading these threads and also talking with a service person at an online site called Curated. His ultimate recommendations for me (based on my desire to turn easier, but also accommodate Midwest varied conditions) are the Black Pearl 82s (which I know have been mentioned a few times here) as well as the Volkl Blaze 88s.

Being that I don't have easy access to demos (though we will be out in BC next week so I could try BP in 88 waist) I'm wondering if anyone might offer me a little further guidance here. It is a big decision and hope to find the ski that actually gets me to go from nervously enjoying moments to really having all-out fun.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Volkl Blaze 86 could be very fun to try, I just bought a pair and they are super fun and easy to turn. If you can get on some demos at Beaver Creek that is probably a good idea, it's so hard to tell you what to pick without trying them because ski choice is really subjective. Ladies here could definitely give you a list to try and demo though! I haven't been on the BP 82, so cannot comment on those.

P.S. I will be at Beaver Creek next week for a few days too. So will @Amie H. Perhaps we could meet up for a couple of runs if you'd like to meet some Divas and our days align. :smile:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I have the BP88 as my only ski for both Michigan and out west, have not skied the BP82. They work fine in both places, but I’m guessing the 82 would as well. For me, this was the ski that helped me be confident in more challenging conditions. Mine are the 2019 version, and I don’t know if they’ve changed since then. I did not like the older version from several years prior.

My prior skis were the Volkl Kenja, which I liked, but decided were likely too stiff for me really, but they did have that nice stability you mentioned.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Welcome!

I ski at Welch, MN on last year's Black Pearl 82's (152cm). Love 'em for our conditions and the versatility (I'm shorter but not much lighter than you) -- they're a solid, non-fatiguing ski. Feel free to ask away.

I have not skied the Blazes, but they seem highly recommended. If you travel out west more with softer snow, they might be just what you want.

Feel free to ask about my skis, and I'd love if you'd join me for some turns this winter! Can get you a discount/free ticket with a bit of advance notice :smile:

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
The Volkl Blaze 86 could be very fun to try, I just bought a pair and they are super fun and easy to turn. If you can get on some demos at Beaver Creek that is probably a good idea, it's so hard to tell you what to pick without trying them because ski choice is really subjective. Ladies here could definitely give you a list to try and demo though! I haven't been on the BP 82, so cannot comment on those.

P.S. I will be at Beaver Creek next week for a few days too. So will @Amie H. Perhaps we could meet up for a couple of runs if you'd like to meet some Divas and our days align. :smile:
Thanks for the response and the invite! Yes! If you are tolerant of someone who may be better than they think, but doesn't think too confidently about themselves then I'm in! I'm sure my husband would LOVE some alone time to do Grouse Mountain and Birds of Prey without worrying about me waiting around. :smile: We are getting in on Sunday night and leaving on Friday.

Between BC resort and Christies in Avon, looks like there might be some demos that will give me some insight.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
I have the BP88 as my only ski for both Michigan and out west, have not skied the BP82. They work fine in both places, but I’m guessing the 82 would as well. For me, this was the ski that helped me be confident in more challenging conditions. Mine are the 2019 version, and I don’t know if they’ve changed since then. I did not like the older version from several years prior.

My prior skis were the Volkl Kenja, which I liked, but decided were likely too stiff for me really, but they did have that nice stability you mentioned.
Thanks for your thoughts Jenny! I think that's how I feel about my Volkls. Too wide and too stiff for me.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome!

I ski at Welch, MN on last year's Black Pearl 82's (152cm). Love 'em for our conditions and the versatility (I'm shorter but not much lighter than you) -- they're a solid, non-fatiguing ski. Feel free to ask away.

I have not skied the Blazes, but they seem highly recommended. If you travel out west more with softer snow, they might be just what you want.

Feel free to ask about my skis, and I'd love if you'd join me for some turns this winter! Can get you a discount/free ticket with a bit of advance notice :smile:

Hi Shadoj -- Are you ramping up for the incoming snow? :smile: Planning to get to Welch in the next few days?

I love that you have the skis (other than year) that I'm looking at -- what made you choose the BPs? And what skill level would you put yourself? I really want something that is more forgiving than what I have (Volkls 2013), and that I don't have to work so hard with to turn. I also want to trust that the skis aren't going to slip all over the place when it's a little more icy (and flat) -- which is the sense that I get now (but maybe that goes back to me and my confidence).

And thank you for the invite! Absolutely -- if you are ok with a less confident (in herself?) intermediate? I'm all in!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Just got home from Welch! It was *wet* today! I am absolutely ready for more snow!
My ski schedule is very flexible; will be trying to get out there 3-4+ days/week in January. Drop me a message if you have specific day(s) in mind!

Of course I'm OK with a less-confident intermediate! As long as everyone's being safe and having fun, I'm willing to adjust to whatever pace is comfortable for you.

I'm probably advanced-ish? I also took a 6-7 year hiatus from skiing due to hip issues. After some good PT, working on technique from the ground up, and remembering to quit before I'm tired... I'm skiing more efficiently than before. I'll go fast when conditions are good and I feel good; otherwise I'll just mosey around or work on drills.

Today's wet, compressed snow-glop would have been excellent for the Blazes. The BP 82s handled just fine, but I did have to be patient with my technique and weight distribution.

The BP82s were chosen because:

1) I desperately needed new skis... and a one-ski quiver since I am not rich. My old junior skis were too soft, too short, and bindings no longer indemnified. BP82s came in a good length and stiffness for my weight and skiing style.

2) I mostly ski the midwest; I'm worried about putting too much stress on my knees on hard/icy snow. I like to play in the trees and moguls, but do like to work round turns on edge. An all-mountain ski with a ~80-85mm waist seemed about right.

3) I didn't want something too heavy (less fatiguing if you have to skate flats a lot, and less weight hanging on my hips), nor too light (too easy to deflect in thick crud).

4) I didn't want to be punished if I got tired, was skiing slowly, or got a little backseat. I'm still cautious of my hips. The BP82s are fairly forgiving/accessible in that regard. However, they aren't "fun" until you start using proper technique -- you have to be a bit of a more forward skier willing to pressure the shovels through your foot/ankle. Not aggressive nor fast, just forward. That's a good reminder for me.

Due to COVID and supply chain issues, there wasn't much demoing going on at the time I needed to upgrade gear, so it was a bit of a gamble that worked out. My friend has the BP82 from a couple years earlier. Knowing how she skis, how she liked them, and the additional changes that were made in the 21/22 core construction did factor in. They have the lovely glowy orange bases, too! :smile:

The Black Pearl 82/88s are solid skis; the Santa Ana 84/88s might be worth looking at, too. Really depends on what your goals are. If you're just wanting to work on your edges on groomers, you could look at even narrower widths underfoot for your skis.

I've already written a novel, so I'll stop for now. Best of luck and looking forward to meeting you!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I ride the 2016 BP88 here in Western PA (400-700 ft vert of ice slush & mud lol) and I take them with me when I travel west. Just skied three days in Breck on powder and I LOVE THEM still. I find them to be a very versatile ski as I can carve in ice pretty well on them too (I also keep them super sharp and tuned well). I've also rented the Volkl Kenja while in Utah two season ago. Loved those too. What I will say on all the skis you try is to give them a few. I demo'd the BP88 on a Diva East trip and hated them day 1. They were squirrely and I fought with them all day, then someone pointed out that I was sitting in the backseat a bit too much. Once I got my weight shifted over the toes, I suddenly was a different ability level. And part of that is the confidence that leaning foward is going to be alright. As it's a little counterintuitive. So things that you may think are stiff are actually just engineered to ride forward like advanced skiers do. My 24yr old daughter 5'4" 155lb skied the K2 Mindbender 88ti at Breck this week and hated them, WAY too stiff a ski for her. Then she switched up to the Dynastar 99 M Pro and had a glorious day on the 3" of freshies that fell overnight. I think that is a bit wide for MN, but they have a 90 version that my 26 yr old was on that she loved as well. As @MissySki says above, it's a very subjective thing and you should demo as many as you can. Then narrow to a few top choices and try those on multiple days/conditions if you can manage the opportunity. I'm considering the new BP88 but reviews are saying they are too stiff for some and very playful for others. So you have to like it and that's the only opinion that really matters.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@racetiger & @Michelle P (and other MN/WI folks) -- Let's make it happen this winter!
We're certainly getting a nice snow refreshment right now :smile:

I'll be at Wild Mountain (first time) on Saturday, though it's for a ski skills enhancement class.
I've been invited to "fun" ski there Sunday, as well... might depend on the weather and if my legs are dead from Saturday. I'm down in Hastings, so it's a little bit of a drive.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Thanks for the response and the invite! Yes! If you are tolerant of someone who may be better than they think, but doesn't think too confidently about themselves then I'm in! I'm sure my husband would LOVE some alone time to do Grouse Mountain and Birds of Prey without worrying about me waiting around. :smile: We are getting in on Sunday night and leaving on Friday.

Between BC resort and Christies in Avon, looks like there might be some demos that will give me some insight.
Yay! Due to health issues, I ski more conservatively/more easy terrain these days, so no worries about catching up with me! I'll be getting there Sunday, leaving Wed. I start my day usually at the Strawberry Express chair and love toodling around in McCoy Park or over by Bachelor Gulch. I'll send you my info in DM.

@Michelle P @MissySki it looks like we will have nice weather in the 30s, with fresh snow coming over the weekend before we arrive.

Last edited:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@racetiger & @Michelle P (and other MN/WI folks) -- Let's make it happen this winter!
We're certainly getting a nice snow refreshment right now :smile:

I'll be at Wild Mountain (first time) on Saturday, though it's for a ski skills enhancement class.
Yes! we should figure out a Midwest meetup! It feels like this lesser populated region gets forgotten on this forum when it comes to meetups and events. I may have missed something though as I'm not super active on here because of only seeing stuff on/from the east or west.

I was actually thinking of going to Wild mtn after work on Saturday! If you're still around at 4ish let's ski together!

I'm seriously running out of room to put snow. My mailbox is in a snowbank now!

MissySki

Angel Diva

Yay, yes I always love to meet and ski with Divas!!

I'll send you a PM with my info. I'm arriving Sunday afternoon and leaving Thursday, so skiing Monday (full day), Tuesday (probably 1/2-3/4 of the day depending when I need to go in to get ready for an event I'm attending that evening), and Wednesday I am skiing with the Rocky Mountain Ski Fest group that I'm participating in for the morning.

Last edited:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MN ladies! While a bit far and badly scheduled for me, there’s a women’s clinic at Giant’s Ridge? I saw it on FB so I thought I’d share it in case you had missed it? https://www.giantsridge.com/grl/
Yeah Giants ridge is quite a hike.
I learned how to ski there when I used to live up there.
The clinic sounds fun but also badly timed for me. I will be busy for two of those weekends and getting Saturdays off work is hard !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna