• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Poles - old fashioned hard plastic grip --

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I've had a pair of poles with grips similar to this for years:

poles.jpg

However, while skiing 3 weeks ago, I came down hard after a jump ( not something I do often - it snuck up on me?) and my left pole hit the ground hard, crushing my hand inside the hard plastic = nondisplaced fracture of 4th metacarpal (hand bone) - been in a splint for the past 3 weeks

So I am obviously going to retire these poles - but I was wondering - has anyone else heard of injuries form these types of poles? Or is this something only I could do? :doh:

Also - I bought a pair of Leki poles, with the Triggor S system to replace these - thought, opinions on these? (No injuries, I hope???)

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah, thumb wreckers. That's why I generally tell people to get new grips or dump them. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the Lexi systems.

Christy

Angel Diva
Also - I bought a pair of Leki poles, with the Triggor S system to replace these - thought, opinions on these? (No injuries, I hope???)

Love 'em. Some people use them because they've had shoulder injuries during a fall due to using the loops on regular poles. I use them because I wear mittens, and with these I don't have to fumble with pole straps. Just don't lose the straps--they are hard to find (you have to get lucky with ebay, or buy them from Leki for $56 including tax and shipping. Ask me how I know...).

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I loved those poles back in the 80's and wondered why they disappeared. I guess I'll give up on finding a pair. I find it annoying to have to feed my glove through the strap and then back out again after each run. I have considered getting Leki poles but I think the straps you have around your gloves make them look silly.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love 'em. Some people use them because they've had shoulder injuries during a fall due to using the loops on regular poles. I use them because I wear mittens, and with these I don't have to fumble with pole straps. Just don't lose the straps--they are hard to find (you have to get lucky with ebay, or buy them from Leki for $56 including tax and shipping. Ask me how I know...).

LOL - I left the straps on my mittens - I already spent too much on the poles to lose the straps!!

I loved those poles back in the 80's and wondered why they disappeared. I guess I'll give up on finding a pair. I find it annoying to have to feed my glove through the strap and then back out again after each run. I have considered getting Leki poles but I think the straps you have around your gloves make them look silly.

I've had those poles since the 80s lol. Loved 'em, until I broke my hand - oh, well, guess I can upgrade my ski poles once every 30 years!

Christy

Angel Diva
LOL - I left the straps on my mittens - I already spent too much on the poles to lose the straps!!

Yes, I do too, but the strap fell off the mitten. I don't know if the clasp (not the velcro, the slide-y thing) came undone or what, but it was on my mitten at the car and wasn't there at the lift. I now wonder if it's better to keep the straps attached to the poles.

Jilly

Staff member
First of all, Leki is bringing them back next year. Much softer plastic.

As for injury - dislocated both thumbs.....got rid of them. They were called thumb breaker grips around here.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I do too, but the strap fell off the mitten. I don't know if the clasp (not the velcro, the slide-y thing) came undone or what, but it was on my mitten at the car and wasn't there at the lift. I now wonder if it's better to keep the straps attached to the poles.

How long did you have yours? So far mine still seem pretty snug on my mittens/gloves but I'm only on year 2 with them. I only change them out when I change what I'm wearing for the day.

newboots

Angel Diva
Ouch! I broke that bone summer before last, a fall down the stairs. Needed surgery, got infected, reaction to the antibiotics! It sounds like yours is going much better! Healing thoughts coming your way.

Leki seems like the answer. I think about them often! I have regular straps, but with my big mittens the straps are a big pain.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dumb question, but what does one need the straps on poles for? Mine fell off about 15 years ago...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Dumb question, but what does one need the straps on poles for? Mine fell off about 15 years ago...
When skiing groomers, I never use straps. When skiing steep terrain off-piste or powder, I use the straps. Do not want to be hunting around in the snow for a pole. On the other hand, can be a better idea to not use straps when skiing trees in case a pole gets caught by a branch.

Does that help?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In trees, it is recommended to get your hands out of the straps.... for a good reason. Both Northstar and Heavenly have lots of tree skiing and I almost always take my hands out of the straps..

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I've got used to not having them, especially since I spend a lot of time skiing in and around glades - my poles have large grips (not the sort that caused the injury here) and are very easy to hold on to lightly, so I don't tend to drop them. I do provide a regular pole pick-up service for my other half though...

@marzNC - I see your point about having to search for them in powder, although to date it's been skis that have been harder to find!

I just wondered if there was a technical advantage to the straps, other than that drill where you put them around your waist.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've snagged a pole or gotten a pole kinda stuck in deep or soft snow numerous times-- so, if I hadn't been attached to the pole, I would've moved on and it would have stayed. Or sometimes it's just possible to drop a pole. Usually when we drop something we're not moving 30+ miles an hour past it so a strap comes in handy in terms of not having to hike back uphill for it. I'm impressed that so many people ski without straps! I know I'd be hiking for a pole occasionally.

@tinymoose it was right after I transferred the straps to a different pair of mittens, so maybe I just didn't put them on all the way. Mine are a few years old.

@diymom you don't need to buy the Leki gloves. The poles come with straps that go over any mitten or glove and you click that strap onto the pole. Or, you can use a Leki mittens or glove.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva

If you need to pole on a flat the strap can help if you put your hands through correctly, the two ends should come up from under your hand, between the thumb and index finger. Then you're pushing down on the strap more and relying less on your grip.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC - I see your point about having to search for them in powder, although to date it's been skis that have been harder to find!
A story . . . I took my friend's son for his first turns in powder last April at Alta. He was Level 6/7 the day before at Alta Ski School. We went down a steep blue (off Supreme) that had been groomed before 6-7 inches fell overnight. I made him go first just in case. He did great making turns but when he tried to make a turn as the slope flattened for the run out, he fell over in a slow fall. Skis stayed on so no problem there. Wasn't using his pole straps so both were buried. One was near him and poking out a bit. The other was nowhere to be seen. Luckily I'd been paying close attention. Used my pole to poke around about the spot I saw him start the fall and hit metal.

We repeated the run for a different untracked line. He used his pole straps. Lesson learned. He learned to use them on a powder day. I learned to double check when skiing with a powder novice. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I would be dropping my poles if I didn't have the straps on. But I do understand the need in the glades.

I will see if Leki has the new grips out at the demo day on the 10th.

mustski

Angel Diva
I love the Leki poles. They are so easy to use. I'm not a back country skier, but I read somewhere that you don't want to have your poles attached to you in an avalanche because you can't deploy your air bag quickly enough. - I think, I read that somewhere. LOL. I read a lot and I'm forgetting some of the details these days!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna