• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski pants vs. snowboard pants and petite sized clothes?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the shelll concept is more dominant in the technical world (climbing, mountaineering) and people just use them for skiing.

Because 90% of ski days, I will sweat to death in an insulated jacket!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh.... I've always felt like I've seen lots of shells at our local ski shops. I'll have to pay attention now. I know I've owned more shells than insulated jackets.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be fair the shells are usually sold with a zip-in insulated layer, though. So they're not usually selling the shell by itself.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not in New England. Trust me.

Oh, totally. My entire concept of the ski wardrobe changed when I moved here. I had a lovely insulated jacket that was great for skiing the east, but it didn't take many days in Colorado to realize it was totally unsuitable.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you look at children's gear, it is usually cheaper because it is made with less technical features (not a lot of gore-tex for example) because you expect the child to grow out of them too quickly to want to spend as much $$. But depending on your needs, could be a great option (sleeves a bit too short for me ususally).

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Even though I ski in New England, I prefer an uninsulated shell so I can then choose my layers. Down and a couple base layers when it's cold, and then I work down the spectrum as needed.

I am tall with outlandishly long arms, but my sister is petite with normal length arms for her height :-) I am researching ski gift ideas for her (so my mom and I have options to work with). She is 5'3", a size 6ish; she is narrow hipped with thin legs, but carries a bit around the waist.

Saw Marmot mentioned for jackets; any feedback on the Marmot Guides Down Jacket (650 fill)? Would be thinking of this as a layer under a shell.

I am going to try the TNF LRBC short pant for her.

On to ski shells. Helmet compatible is a must, waterproof, no velcro other than wrists please, she is flexible on powder skirt. Anyone in a similar size range have, or ever tried on, the following?
-Patagonia Untracked or Triolet. Pricey, but beautiful.
-Haglofs Verte II Q. Great deal I found, I just have no idea what body type it is cut for as I cannot seem to find any reviews

Thanks!

iamOshawott

Certified Ski Diva
I wear XS in both Columbia and The North Face. Columbia's pants have the option of long and short, I usually go with the XS/short or S/short. I have a pair of The North Face pants that just has the shell and I believe Columbia also have one since my SO just saw a pair at the Columbia store in Whistler.

kabutar

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have snowboarding pants from Powder Room but they seem to have changed a few things... nevertheless, their pants have held up well through 4 years.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aren't we saying the same thing? I'm thinking mostly that I bought a snowboarding jacket online because of the style without paying attention to or realizing that it was barely insulated, and I nearly froze to death the first time I wore it. OP asked what the differences between ski and snowboarding jackets is, and I think -- badger's experience notwithstanding :smile: -- barely or non-insulated being the norm for snowboarding jackets vs. usually insulated being the norm for ski jackets is one of the biggest differences.

That's been my experience as well. I have a couple of cute boarding jackets, but I rarely wear them because I'm almost always looking for warmer stuff to put on. I counted my top layers, I often have FIVE on - base layer, thin turtleneck, Snow Angel stretchy top w/fleece inside, fleece top, jacket. Sheesh!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna